neue

Captain
Sep 17, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sporties
My son, Max, and I have been in winter fishing mode for a while now, and have been doing pretty well catching halibut nearly every weekend. On Saturday, we fished off the San Clemente pier in about 100ft. The weather was perfect for halibut drifting. We had some really nice bites and a couple of good ones that popped off. The bait was perfect sardines, and a few small mackerel. The area we were fishing was loaded with mackerel, they were crashing on the surface, and the pelicans and other birds were diving near us. 4 halibut made it to the boat, but 3 were shorts. Max caught one that was not very short (42 inches). Caught on a mack. We didn't weigh it. Lots of fillets and many halibut dinners ahead!

DSC03792-pb.jpg
DSC03804-pb.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
My son, Max, and I have been in winter fishing mode for a while now, and have been doing pretty well catching halibut nearly every weekend. On Saturday, we fished off the San Clemente pier in about 100ft. The weather was perfect for halibut drifting. We had some really nice bites and a couple of good ones that popped off. The bait was perfect sardines, and a few small mackerel. The area we were fishing was loaded with mackerel, they were crashing on the surface, and the pelicans and other birds were diving near us. 4 halibut made it to the boat, but 3 were shorts. Max caught one that was not very short (42 inches). Caught on a mack. We didn't weigh it. Lots of fillets and many halibut dinners ahead!

View attachment 811825 View attachment 811826
His Smile, tell Us everything . Congrats.

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    No better fishing partner than fishing with your Son. I even have a hoodie the reads "Most men spend thier life looking for the perfect fishing buddy, I raised mine".

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    Nice job Max!! I have caught all my biggest California Halibut in that area.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Congratulations to the both of you, as it's your job to find the fish and put everyone on the boat on'em, and everyone on the boats job to put them on deck.

I bet Dad's glad he brought some talent this day, ehhhh.

Upvote 0

thefishguy

Sep 15, 2008
    Bermuda Dunes
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    26' Pacemaker
    Nice job, your son looks super stoked! taking my daughter out this weekend, have to decide if we should stay local in DP or head to Catalina, we just bought her first lobster report card and she is pretty excited.

Upvote 0