Inshore Dana Point Fishing Report 6/14/21

JakeFerguson

• Feb 13, 2021
    Southern California
    Name
    Jake Ferguson
    Boat
    Striper 220 Center Console
    Had a few hours to fish this morning. Left the house at 6 am, got to Dana Harbor around 6:30. Extremely foggy, very poor visibility. Picked up a half scoop of anchovy, and made our way out of the harbor around 7:15. The swells were large, the winds high, and we had maybe 100 feet of visibility. We turned back around after a couple hundred yards and fished the harbor for about 15 minutes. However, we decided that we should just try to get to our spot and if it was too rough, head home. The second trip out (25 minutes after the first) was way nicer. The swells and wind ceased, but the dense fog remained. Got to Salt Creek around 8 after a slow but comfortable boat ride (relied on radar the whole trip). We drifted the edge of the kelp, and quickly found fish. Chummed the water steadily, and managed to catch 4 legal sheephead, 1 legal calico, a few short calico, a short sandbass, and lots of barracuda and very large mackerels. Caught all these fish within a span of 2 hours, which I think is pretty good. Overall had a great day of fishing, and still got home before noon. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    Wow. I didn't know that there were barracuda in that kelp. I was planning to go this Saturday if weather holds out. Will take some spoons as well. If memory serves me I had some luck with spoons and cudas years ago.

Thank you for posting the report and the conditions. Being stubborn and prepared seems to have made the day. Congratulations on a good trip.

Reactions: JakeFerguson
    Upvote 0

JakeFerguson

• Feb 13, 2021
    Southern California
    Name
    Jake Ferguson
    Boat
    Striper 220 Center Console
    Wow. I didn't know that there were barracuda in that kelp. I was planning to go this Saturday if weather holds out. Will take some spoons as well. If memory serves me I had some luck with spoons and cudas years ago.

Thank you for posting the report and the conditions. Being stubborn and prepared seems to have made the day. Congratulations on a good trip.

Spoons are great for cuda from everything I've read; anything flashy. I've personally caught a bunch off the Lucky Craft Flash Minnow. I'm going on a short cruise with my family this Saturday as well, conditions look great all day. Hopefully they let me bring a rod or two.

Upvote 0