Dana point bonito and lobster 10/29

PENN
Dec 13, 2015
Irvine, California
Name
sebastian
Boat
float tube
My brother and I recently bought a 12.5 foot inflatable boat (15hp outboard), and after a few local trips and a run out to the 267 over the past few weeks, we decided to try our luck with lobster hooping. Report is a bit late as I've been busy the past few days with work, school, and a full day on the San Diego, but here's my first report on BD:

We recently picked up four of the lay-flat lobster hoop nets with rope, buoys, and bait cages. I also made a couple seal-proof bait holders out of black 2-inch PVC with a bunch holes drilled inside them. We didn't really run into any issues with sea lions, but the PVC bait cages definitely seem like they're tougher.

Got to the Dana point launch ramp around 3pm and got the boat in the water. We definitely don't have a ton of space, so we elected to leave the hoop nets and lobster gear back at the ramp. Went for a quick run in fairly nice weather conditions out around the point and began marking a bunch of bait. We drifted through one area that had a few marks and my brother got bit on the coltsniper, and put a really nice local grade bonita in the boat. Getting another bite on the troll and throwing a coltsniper right behind the troll fish got us 2 more nice bonita. The fish were probably in the 3-5 lb range and pulled hard, lots of fun for just a 5 minute run from the harbor. Sun kept getting lower so we stopped over some mackerel schools and quickly rounded out our bait selection with about a dozen more macks on the sabiki. Ran into the harbor to drop off our rods and picked up all of our lobster gear.

We headed south as the sun was setting and got our first set in the water about 20 minutes after sunset, with a full moon in the sky. Caught 1 short on the first set and reset, with a couple of the hoops in different areas. Next pull got us our first legal lobster in the boat! It was barely legal, but definitely over (as we checked it about 5 times :D). Tossed it in the cooler with some water and did maybe 4 or 5 more sets for 8 more shorts, for a total of 1 legal and 9 shorts on the night. Not the best ratio, but we were just happy to at least put one in the box, and we learned a lot for next time. Got back to the ramp around midnight and cleaned the boat off. We were soaking our hoops for about 15-30 minutes on average, and fished them in around 30-50 feet. Had our lobster for dinner the next night, split in half and thrown on the grill for about 10 minutes and served with lemon garlic butter and a steak. Damn that was delicious, we'll definitely be back out soon.

1604539292346.png

1604539320463.png

1604539338390.png

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
:appl:

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Great job ...be careful leaving gear in your car ....many asswipes Willing to bust a window for a quick grab!! Try alittle longer soak 30-60 mins good luck !!

Reactions: Sebastian Hong
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Don't put your hard earned bugs in a cooler with water . Eventually they will use all the oxygen in the water and croak . Just keep them cool and moist .

Reactions: F-Dawg and One_Leg
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Congrats on your first legal bug!

Tip: Ambush style hoops will yield better results than the lay-flat kind.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    Like he said no more than 1/8" of sea water and a frozen water bottle and they will be good for about 20 hours. Don't use ice.

Upvote 0

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
    Aug 2, 2007
    Covina, Ca
    Name
    Ed Efishnsea
    Boat
    21' Boston Whaler Outrage, + Kayaks--looking for 205 Conquest
    Like he said no more than 1/8" of sea water and a frozen water bottle and they will be good for about 20 hours. Don't use ice.
    Or,
    Soak a salt water towel and cover the bugs in your cooler overnight to keep them alive just in time for the cooking next day.

Upvote 0