Offshore Dana Point blues

Sea Scum Jim

Jan 10, 2021
Dana Point inland
Name
Jim
Boat
Sea Scum II
Went all over the normal places, ended up back where the fish were. Just 8 miles from the launch ramp. Water looked like đź’©birds everywhere, boats everywhere, ran over one guys fish, he returned the favor, helped each other out and ended up 0 for 1 after a long afternoon on the water. First glimpse of the boilers for me, buddy has been trying for a couple weeks. Figured out the secret, just have to apply it better. Dumb luck is better than nothing.

Last edited:
stuman
stuman
Were you in the Whaler or one of the bigger boats?
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
We were with you on that school. When fishing foamers with jigs, try fishing heavy spectra to a heavy leader and a heavy drag. 80 to 80lb worked well for us.

Upgrade your hooks as well. Last night we bent a VMC 9626 PS 4x strong 5/0 treble using the heavy drag. It seemed like our best fish and the hooks were bent. I'll try the owners hooks. The wire is a little heavier gauge

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
Went all over the normal places, ended up back where the fish were. Just 8 miles from the launch ramp. Water looked like đź’©birds everywhere, boats everywhere, ran over one guys fish, he returned the favor, helped each other out and ended up 0 for 1 after a long afternoon on the water. First glimpse of the boilers for me, buddy has been trying for a couple weeks. Figured out the secret, just have to apply it better. Dumb luck is better than nothing.
Was this yesterday 1/26? Was wondering if the rain would change things. Thinking of heading out today. Did they show on the slack tide in afternoon?

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Sea Scum Jim

Jan 10, 2021
Dana Point inland
Name
Jim
Boat
Sea Scum II
Left the whaler at home and went on a friends parker

Upvote 0