hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Finally finished my skiff and the GF decided to cash in her "sorry babe can't hang today working on the boat" chips so off we went out of Dana Point. We've had abnormally good success there over the last year and the bathrooms are "close" so ya... No traffic headed south, nobody at the ramp, and nobody in line for bait.

Launched about 7:15am and got the first half a scoop from the barge (I have a 20 gallon tank on my 14 Gregor so I have to pay for a half scoop ($35) up front but can take half that half scoop at a time. Makes me long for the $20 San Pedro kayak scoops...) Bait was very poor; they were huge and absolutely beat to shit. 90% of them were red and lethargic. Weather was flatter than I had seen in a long time so we headed out to the red buoy. Bottom bounced for a few drifts and again, it was lake-like, but even bouncing the 10% good baits, came up empty. I had one rod in the holder and threw basically the whole tackle bag with the other rod. Had a few short bites on the dines but they were so big, without a stinger rig there was no chance.

As forecasted, some bigger swells started to move in, and Jenna wasn't feeling all that good so we headed back inside. The boys at the barge gave us chovies for our second half and we connected on some short calicos along the wall and that was it. Off the water by 12:30. DFG was checking but we had nothing to report.

Overall, a fun day in beautiful weather and I got to try out the boat with another person in it. Weight distribution was perfect, motor ran great, bait pump changes were effective, and the new trailer guide-ons made loading a breeze.

20170730_081013.jpg

20170730_081932.jpg

Some pics of the finished boat....

20170731_094555.jpg
20170731_094612_HDR.jpg
20170731_094620.jpg

Upvote 0

riverboy460

Apr 30, 2007
huntington beach hometown now oak harbor wa.
Name
matt
Boat
PLAY N HOOK E & KAYLEE MICHELLE
Nice set up henry now would have been awesome to see a post of some nice fiah caight on the jigs i sold you. Hopefully your score big this summer. Im mad here bought a fiahing license 2 weeks ago when i got back javent gone out to my salmon grpunds yet only to find out it closed early and inly can beach fish the rest of the season. At least you guys dont deal with wadfw no fun here.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Very nice work. Looks really clean.:appl:

Upvote 0

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
Those seats are the best $200 ever spent, so comfortable.
I have the same on my skiff. IF you don't mind me asking, what did you spend on the seadeck? The skiff turned out great!

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Those seats are the best $200 ever spent, so comfortable.
I have the same on my skiff. IF you don't mind me asking, what did you spend on the seadeck? The skiff turned out great!

Got a great deal on the seats, think I got each of them for $80 from Cabelas with free shipping and a lifetime warranty. Great padding and well-supported.

As for the SeaDek, reach out to Ken (BlueSeasFab on here). I got the BD member deal but since he and I dealt via PM, out of respect to him I won't post the price I paid here. I will say that was a significant discount, and well worth paying for over hydro-turf. This stuff is absolutely amazing.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
If you're girlfriend got sick in those conditions, I'm pretty sure you're free and clear on your next venture.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Compliments to the lady, it's easy to go when you feel great, harder to hang in there like she did. They say that the more time she is out there, the more her body will get used to the motion, hope that is true and you guys have each other for years of time on the water.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Tight little boat!

As for 35 dollars a scoop, F that! It's truly Principle!
Become self-sufficient and make your own bait, it's absolutely a piece of cake, and it's like eating out of your own garden, and when you put fish on the deck using the bait you caught it's even sweeter.

Reactions: catalin and One_Leg
Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Tight little boat!

As for 35 dollars a scoop, F that! It's truly Principle!
Become self-sufficient and make your own bait, it's absolutely a piece of cake, and it's like eating out of your own garden, and when you put fish on the deck using the bait you caught it's even sweeter.
We first started doing that, waiting in the bait line and putting on sabiki's and such and started putting larger baits in. But that is not good for catching dines and chovies. How do you catch em?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
We first started doing that, waiting in the bait line and putting on sabiki's and such and started putting larger baits in. But that is not good for catching dines and chovies. How do you catch em?

I never snag bait in MOST harbors, always outside the harbor. The only exception is inside LA Harbor as it's pretty beeeeeg. You can only snag Anchovies when they're around, and only around a small portion of each year these days. My best/successful times snagging bait are when I meter for bait, and then drop down. Out of Dana Point, and not the harbor I launch out of very often, I believe the red/barber pole out front is good. Some guys use cat food, some use their own chum mixture, some use old bait or fish they have that've gone rotten. NEVER discount fishing with big or bigger baits, they always lead to elevated excitement at one point or another during each trip on the water. Just before daylight is good, and as the Sun gets higher most time the bait school-up tighter together, just what I've experienced historically.

Good Luck!

Reactions: onehottip
Upvote 0