PENN

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    I didn't know whether I should post skunked reports with all the tuna, white sea bass being posted so feel free to tell me not to waste your time.

Conditions were weird. Launched DP 6/23/2021 0730, very light rain coming in from S-SW with blue skies otherwise. San Pedro Buoy yielded swells 4.9 feet at 16 seconds. Water temp was 65 degrees on FF, clarity - murky green/blue. Trolled the beaches with frozen anchovy at depths of 30 feet at Doheny, nearly crapped my pants with the size of the swells. The boneyard had the biggest waves I have ever seen there - they looked like pipes of what I would see at Hawaii. Moved to San Onofre at 30 feet, zip. This is what made me want to make this report, weather turned fast. The sky was clear, swells were big but spaced out, but then a nasty wind started from the NW. As soon as the chop got worse, we tucked tails and ran home. Kept the motor trimmed up, tabs up to raise the bow so we didn't take a wave over the bow. Our boat is small, 18 ft Wellcraft with a 130hp outboard so it was bumpy and wet. Maintaining even 16 knots was challenging.

A coworker of mine went sailing the day before and ran into a similar scenario that capsized her hobie cat. NW wind that came out of the blue. I thought it was just crazy that the clouds were coming from the S-SW, swells were coming from the west, and a wind was coming from the NW.

No fish, I tried hammers, rapalas, cut bait, squid, smaller swimbaits, even an A-rig to get anything on the boat for my son and me. Metered fish everywhere, just no takers.

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
    May 8, 2008
    Dana Point CA
    Name
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat
    1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
    Thanks for the report. Strange bit of weather in DP the last couple of days even some drizzle.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    Good or bad reports are welcomed, thanks for the heads up.

Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    How do you rig your frozen anchovy that allows it to be trolled?
    I use a viper spoon with a reverse dropper loop and a 16 oz weight using 20# fluoro.
    Amazon product
    First hook goes through the eyes, the second goes mid body near dorsal fin. I catch plenty of seaweed and eel grass without ripping off the bait and caught only 1 halibut and a spiny dogfish of all things but my excuse is I don't target halibut a lot. I saved up and got a minnkota riptide so I just set that to trolling at 1 knot in a direction so it reduces rolling by the waves and puking of my guts.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I learned a few thins from this post and it's replies.
    Viper spoon for one.
    And there it is. A skunk report is not such a skunk for all.
    Thanks for sharing.

Pepe Le Pew GIF by memecandy

Upvote 0