clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    I have not fished for weeks because of work and weather so i snuck out today before the rain forecasted for tomorrow Sunday. The water around Dana Point was murky green and around 59 degrees. Kind of like ideal condition for WSB. Metered fish but they we’re not interested with dead squid. I was bait fishing and caught a couple of these curious looking ones so i took a picture and matched it as a Pacific Herring. It looks like a bigger sardine (7 inches) but does not have the row of spots along the lateral line. Scales are very delicate like anchovies, comes right off. It is a first for me and thought i share this with BD readers to find out how often does everyone come across these P Herrings locally?

EF050603-E7C7-4E69-BEEC-B81B74C4967E.jpeg

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Doesn't look like any kind of herring I've ever seen,not even close. Could be I guess, maybe different than the brown bait kind. Looks like it would make good bait

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
    Aug 21, 2008
    Chula Vista/Ca/USA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Doesn't look like any kind of herring I've ever seen,not even close. Could be I guess, maybe different than the brown bait kind. Looks like it would make good bait
    Brown bait is a loosely used name for Queenfish and White Croaker, neither of which is a Herring. We don't see those in the OPs pics in bait tanks around here because they are really fragile

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Queenfish, we called those herring. White croaker, ronkies or tom cod. Makes sense

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    I have caught a lot of those down in mag bay
    And yes they are very weak baits
    They don’t last long
    Maybe a couple of hours and by the next day they will all be dead

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I have caught a lot of those down in mag bay
    And yes they are very weak baits
    They don’t last long
    Maybe a couple of hours and by the next day they will all be dead
    They look like the ones in Loreto too. The Pangero said they are no good. They die right away, so we didn't keep them for bait.

Upvote 0