neue

Captain
Sep 17, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sporties
Total for the weekend was 6 keepers: 23, 14, 13, 10, 9, and 6. Last weekend my son got a big halibut (see earlier post), this weekend it was my turn.
Saturday:
Fished off of the red buoy in 120ft. Lots of other boats fishing for halibut. I got a 10lber and a 9lber. Bait was sardines. Kept the 9lber for dinner, released the other one.
Sunday:
The wind was blowing and it was nasty. Couldn't get a bite off the red buoy, so drove down the the San Clemente pier and fished in 120ft. It took me an hour to get there, and we got wet. Fishing was challenging, but I got a 13lber and a 6lber (released the small one). This time on a mack. I made a rookie blunder after we netted the 13lber. It was lying still on the deck, and as I bent down with the pliers to remove the hook, it lunged up and bit my thumb hard. Well, we had a bloody deck, just not the kind of blood I like to see there.
Monday:
We brought my son's fishing buddy who had never caught a keeper halibut. The weather was perfect to start. We began off of Three Arch bay in 120ft. Didn't get any halibut (just a few sharks), so we moved to the red buoy. On the first or second drift, my son's friend hooked up, and we could tell it had some size to it. He had his drag set perfectly, and took his time. The fish made several runs, which had me wondering if it could be a shark, but eventually we saw color, and it was a nice halibut. 23lbs, not bad for a first keeper halibut! Later he got a 14lber. We sent him home with lots of fillets.

DSC03810-pb.jpg
DSC03815-pb.jpg
DSC03824-pb.jpg

Upvote 0

Dogfight

not here for the Halibut
Sep 28, 2011
San Clemente
Name
D is for Dogfight
Boat
Mako19 and Parker 2520
Total for the weekend was 6 keepers: 23, 14, 13, 10, 9, and 6. Last weekend my son got a big halibut (see earlier post), this weekend it was my turn.
Saturday:
Fished off of the red buoy in 120ft. Lots of other boats fishing for halibut. I got a 10lber and a 9lber. Bait was sardines. Kept the 9lber for dinner, released the other one.
Sunday:
The wind was blowing and it was nasty. Couldn't get a bite off the red buoy, so drove down the the San Clemente pier and fished in 120ft. It took me an hour to get there, and we got wet. Fishing was challenging, but I got a 13lber and a 6lber (released the small one). This time on a mack. I made a rookie blunder after we netted the 13lber. It was lying still on the deck, and as I bent down with the pliers to remove the hook, it lunged up and bit my thumb hard. Well, we had a bloody deck, just not the kind of blood I like to see there.
Monday:
We brought my son's fishing buddy who had never caught a keeper halibut. The weather was perfect to start. We began off of Three Arch bay in 120ft. Didn't get any halibut (just a few sharks), so we moved to the red buoy. On the first or second drift, my son's friend hooked up, and we could tell it had some size to it. He had his drag set perfectly, and took his time. The fish made several runs, which had me wondering if it could be a shark, but eventually we saw color, and it was a nice halibut. 23lbs, not bad for a first keeper halibut! Later he got a 14lber. We sent him home with lots of fillets.

View attachment 813436 View attachment 813437 View attachment 813438
Saturday:
Sunday:
Monday:

View attachment 813436 View attachment 813437 View attachment 813438
...you seem really keyed into them, what's your go to rig these last few trips?, reverse dropper loop?, how long? etc?

Upvote 0

Hookdown

Almost A Member
Oct 1, 2014
Compton
Name
Johnson
Boat
Mine
...you seem really keyed into them, what's your go to rig these last few trips?, reverse dropper loop?, how long? etc?
Using a fluorocarbon leader tied to a small swivel , with a ( Lead Sled ) above to attach a sinker, torpedo or I prefer a cannonball of at least 6 oz. for regulation size sardines. Key is to keep the bait and sinker on the bottom. to light of sinker and the bait will swim up when there is some help from the current if your on the light side. Usually 18 to 24 " of leader. More current shorten your leader up. I like to fish at least 30lb. even with chove. Bigger bait even heaver 40 or 50 lb. and fish the biggest bait you can. it keeps the piddley bitters away. You don't get a lot of bites fishing big , but when Big Momma bites your geared up to put her on the boat. Oh and don't let her off the gaff until you've got her subdued . The go berserk when the come off the gaff.

Reactions: Rabid Fish
Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Impressive!!! After a post earlier this week with a fattie halibut on the boat, we followed suit and fished in 100 feet outside of San Clemente pier looking for halibut on Sunday. We got out early and as we left the Dana launch ramp, we heard someone yell "Hope you brought your slickers". Boy was he right. There was a slight swell but combined with a pretty strong wind, we were wet in no time. Not a day to be proud of as we came back with no keepers. Great job dealing with the wind!!

Reactions: RyanErb
    Upvote 0

neue

Captain
    Sep 17, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Sporties
    Hookdown offers some excellent advice. My personal choice is to fish 30lb mono with a reverse dropper loop rig. I use a surgeons knot, rather than a dropper loop knot, because it is slightly stronger. The key is to fish with a loose drag, so when they run (initially or when they see the boat) it doesn't break the line at the knot. My loops are usually about 12", so my bait is fairly close to the bottom, and my leader after the loop is usually about 24-30". I tend to use a fairly heavy sinker to make sure that I can feel the bottom at all times (8oz in shallower water and calmer conditions, up to 16oz like this weekend with some wind and depth of 100+).

Reactions: Basswell
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great short read and report Mike!
    Anyone catching 5+ legal Halibut in a weekend is no rookie.
    I'd shed that tag and give yourself credit.
    Quality fishing, and even better details!
    You put the kid on his first Halibut and a nice one at that, and letting your son know who the Captain is without even saying anything.

Reactions: skillett
    Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Name
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Very well done, and thanks for the rigging tips. Looks like I need to use more weight.

Upvote 0
    Apr 26, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    Glendon
    Boat
    Grady White 257 Advance
    Congrats! Great weekend of catching. I think we're going to give it a shot down there next Sunday. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0