who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
You have awakend the BD SHARK POLICE..........:D:D:D
But they are soooo cute with their big brown eyes, furry coats and poofy little tails....the shark police, not the sharks.

crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
Just shoot it with your gun and then jump in and tail rope it before it sinks out. Extra points if you don't spill your lime a rita.

Free gaffing is illegal and it draws the 'offended' crowd out of the woodwork. Stick with the gun/beer/swimming thing and NO ONE will pipe up with helpful suggestions.

crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
unsportsman, unsporting, and stupid, but this is no different then that Blue Marlin being gaffed last season, which was deemed as a Legal act by a DFW officer.
Blackfish you're doing a great job. You've got the levelest head on bd but this whole post is obvious trolling. People are going to have some fun with it before it gets locked.

Newbs shouldn't fish Makos without at least two people that know the drill.

Any Mako that eats the bucket is getting hooked.

Anyone who's gaffed a hot fair caught hook and line Mako knows full well it'll rip the gaff out of your hand before it'll break it. Let's not flatter ourselves with how strong we might be. Tito Ortiz might get a pass on that one but he's smart enough to know how it's done properly.

It will break the gaff if it made it into the cockpit with the gaff attached.

Last edited:

RANGER4657

Sep 7, 2005
SAN DIEGO
Name
h
Boat
WISHING
No, free-gaffing is not a legal method of take for any species of sharks. While the regulations allow for the take of sharks (except white sharks) with spears, harpoons, and bow and arrow fishing gear (Section 28.95), a gaff may not be substituted for a spear or harpoon. In addition to those devices, the law (Section 28.65) allows for sharks to be taken by hook and line or by hand (although "by hand" doesn't sound like the wisest method to me).. Nice job ur to cool dusch!

Reactions: Ben yarbrough

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
C'mon Man!

imrfishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2009
Orange county
Name
Tom
Boat
Defiance admiral 220
All this hate... I'm actually going to help this guy rather than bash him for being a complete tool.

Hey ahk, I can make you a stainless steel gaff. Garaunteed to not break. (The gaff that is.) your arm may break though as I feel you deserve it.

Anyway, gaff can be made any length you like!! Tubing come 20ft in length in case you want to have an easier chance at doing this dumb shit again!!

biggens

Jul 27, 2008
lake
Name
duh !
Boat
26 ft wellcraft
Launched out of Dana Point at 9am. Headed straight to the barber poles and loaded the tank with macks.

Plan was to head to the 267 and start chumming. Found a nice temp/color break about 7 miles off the point .

Water temp - 65.5 - 66 and clean blue.

Chummed for about an hour until the first Mako charged the boat. She circled the boat a few times and bit the chum bucket aggressively. I tried pitching a bait to her but she would'nt take it. Even tried snagging her with a surface iron but no luck.

So after playing with her for twenty minutes or so, I decided eff it, i'm just gonna free gaff this dork. She made a quick turn right towards boat, I grabbed the gaff, and sunk it right into her gills.

She went ballistic!! Splashing and thrashing like you wouldn't believe. I didn't realize the true size and power of this fish until i was hanging on for my life with the gaff jammed in its gill.

After about a ten seconds into the fight she finally got the best of me and snapped the gaff in two. If I could have held on for 5 more seconds, we could tail wrapped that sucker and dragged her behind the boat.

Bummer. next time ill bring the harpoon

Your the G
Dork!

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
My first day working on the Coral Sea out of H&M in 2001, I watched our captain free gaff a 5 foot mako off the port side using nothing but a sardine broken in half. Hooked it right through the nose as it came in for the sardine.

He loved Mako marinated in Italian dressing, and I was the cook. We ate it for 3 weeks fresh and frozen. To this day I still can't stomach Italian dressing. That may just have inspired my passion to cook. So salad dressing isn't my go to for fish marinades.

Reactions: rile-b-fishn

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
And then there is the catch-all CDFW reg relating to the wanton waste of the fishery resources...... since the shark wasn't brought into the boat, but received fatal wounds.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
MAJOR="What do you think fo this troop free gaffing a Mako Gunny"????

GUNNY HIGHWAY="Looks like an O'Side Mud Shark to me, they're easy prey"
"Why kill em?, they taste like bland cardboard, even with Wasabi"!! LOL LOL

GunnyHighway.jpg

Last edited: