Century2200

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 20, 2010
Lake Forest/CA/USA
Name
Glen
Boat
the Black Pearl
Launched out of Dana last Saturday in search of the dodos. Stopped at the bait receiver to get a scoop of dines. Headed directly to the 14. Took about an hour to get there in the choppy morning conditions. When we stopped to fish the 1st paddy I was bummed to see that most of my baits were already el rolo. Those that were alive were not very healthy. My bait tank is made to hold 1 scoop and I've never had this kind of result with baits in that short of time.
Anyone else find issues with bait out of Dana?

Surfnsand

When's the next trip?
May 26, 2012
Murrieta, CA / Villas De Cortez Los Barriles
Name
Cody
Boat
40' Riviera Convertible - "Salty Pleasure"/ 21' Wellcraft 212 Fisherman
Yeah I don't think it's just Dana. Usually we have pretty decent bait in Dana. I just stocked up on a bunch of artificial lures for this weekend, gonna see what happens.

S

South Bend

There a high volume of bait being bought right now out of Dana due to the great fishing, so they really don't have time to cure any of it.

That being said, if the baits a little beat up to begin with, you don't want to stuff your tank (especially if it's choppy weather too). Try buying a half scoop next time and going a little sloower. It might help save your bait.

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
That being said, if the baits a little beat up to begin with, you don't want to stuff your tank (especially if it's choppy weather too). Try buying a half scoop next time and going a little sloower. It might help save your bait.
I think that's good advice.
Hey Glen...didn't I say something like that when we were getting bait that morning? :rofl:

Thanks again for the ride Bro. We'll get them next time.

Technician

the viking
May 5, 2012
Placentia/ca
Name
Josh halsne
Boat
The green ring
Had the same problem on Monday, our bait rolled halfway out to the island..

brett camarata

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2006
Laguna Hills CA
Name
Brett Camarata
Boat
21 stripper cazadora
We got great bait from DP 9/6 , It lasted all day. The guy working the dock told me the boat pressure was slower the last few days so this bait had two days to cure. The weeks before they had to sell the bait the same day they received it from the bait boat because they where so busy.That was the only good bait for us this season.