Damaged Goods 4/11 w/ ???

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Greg and I pushed off around 6:15, I did go in to work to get ice before 5, didn't leave work until 5 just because. Similar course to last week, just outside the 500 heading out towards CO see a mean current line, its early, hard to see rubbish, but its clear there are 2 conflicting currents. Cross thru it and see temp dropped about 1/2 deg, make a loop around the outside of it and the stbd rigger goes, not a blistering run by any means, reeling it in, about halfway to the boat the rod doubles over the reel growls out about 20 yds of line and then back to reeling it in. get it close to boat side and it just don't look right (it looks right because its a scissor lipped lure wrecking machine), somewhat mutilated ono. Gaff it throw it on ice and assume shark bit. Now to be fair; right after the fish dumped that 20 yds of line we both looked back there and thought we saw a marlin dorsal.
IMG_0975.jpg

Some time later I pull the ono out of the box to gut her and look closer at the damage and now thinking it wasn't a shark, the "bite marks" don't look like it was something with very sharp teeth. FKW maybe, but not close to right bite pattern (I think), rough tooth, possibly, hadn't seen any though, marlin just can get to the damage. Whatever it was got a piece of tail that morning (lucky bastard); it was ripped off not really bit off. I'd like to hear others' opinions.
IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

We did get a mahi on the way home, and there really was minimal damage on the ono after filleting and sectioning him up. Ono purple shiroma in a "milky", the mahi was JSI in black salmon. no big bites to speak of other than the attempted bait stealing episode.

Cheers
Pat

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Something clipped off its propeller.

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
That looks like typical FKW damage.. widely spaced parellel wounds and crushng/not clean biting evident.

Good job out there!
I love fishing those current lines/temp breaks!

John

Last edited:

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Pat and Greg, Congrats on the Mahi and Ono! Too bad the Ono was a little damaged but better than no Ono! If it was a fkw, you’re lucky you got most of it back! The one time a fkw bit my Ahi all I got back was the head!

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Sorry, but what is a "FKW"?

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Something clipped off its propeller.
Yep tryin' to figure out what the clippers were.
Maybe, hadn't crossed my mind originally.
That looks like typical FKW damage.. widely spaced parellel wounds and crushng/not clean biting evident.

Good job out there!
I love fishing those current lines/temp breaks!

John
Thanks John, we really should have worked that current line much harder.
Pat and Greg, Congrats on the Mahi and Ono! Too bad the Ono was a little damaged but better than no Ono! If it was a fkw, you’re lucky you got most of it back! The one time a fkw bit my Ahi all I got back was the head!
Thanks Russ, yep would not have expected to retrieve that from any of the guesses on the stealer.
Sorry, but what is a "FKW"?
Truman got it, false killer whale; the toothed whales in these parts can be a problem when hooked up.
False Killer Whale
Yep.

Cheers
Pat

Last edited:

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
At least you got out and have some action.
Things are getting crazy with this world lock down.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
At least you got out and have some action.
Things are getting crazy with this world lock down.
Frank, absolutely, gotta go when can, who knows what comes next. I feel for you West Coast guys who are land locked, all the best.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: la vida

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
At least he was nice enough to leave you dinner, usually just a "head fish". Glad to see the ono might be coming around.

randay

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2010
hawaii
Name
randay
Boat
17.5 glasply
If you like to keep your right to fish in the ocean you should delete this post and never ever publicly post any speculation on FKW interactions or any marine mammal interactions. It doesnt take much for the anti-fishing political machine to draw the conclusion that fishermen are destroying the oceans. It doesnt help that probably noone here actively opposes them in any legislation. Its a one-sided fight and you guys are just giving them more ”proof” for their cause.

LA I KU

Nov 11, 2010
Makaha
Name
Earl
Boat
LA I KU 21' Proline
If you like to keep your right to fish in the ocean you should delete this post and never ever publicly post any speculation on FKW interactions or any marine mammal interactions. It doesnt take much for the anti-fishing political machine to draw the conclusion that fishermen are destroying the oceans. It doesnt help that probably noone here actively opposes them in any legislation. Its a one-sided fight and you guys are just giving them more ”proof” for their cause.
Running & hiding is not the answer it adds to the problem. It’s not the American way!!

randay

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2010
hawaii
Name
randay
Boat
17.5 glasply
Running & hiding is not the answer it adds to the problem. It’s not the American way!!
Noone here is up for the fight. Trust me I know, I read the bills and the testimony. I am not asking anyone here to fight the fight, I am just saying it would be nice if you folks can do what you can to not make it harder for the VERY VERY few who are in the fight.

randay

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2010
hawaii
Name
randay
Boat
17.5 glasply
Also I am not asking people to fight because I know its impossible. Us fisherman have been getting pounded by anti-fishing legislation for decades. Guys only whine AFTER legislation is passed, by that point its too late. The reality is that its easier to go outlaw and do whatever you want, because there is zero enforcement. Until guys start getting caught and facing real punishments for breaking the laws, noone is going to bother to actually fight for their rights in the legislature. However there is a small handful of dedicated people who are fighting pretty hard in the legislature for all of our rights.

By the way this could have easily been a shark or another ono or anything. Theres no proof that it was FKW, except for your own speculation that it was. And that does way more damage to those few guys who are fighting for our rights than you can imagine.

Truman

Dec 28, 2016
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Truman
Boat
Arima SR19 "Island Time"
What just happened to your post Pat??

Well, the FKW got a piece of it to eat, Pat ate the other peice. See, sharing is caring. Nobody got hurt except for the Ono...Aaaannnd I’m pretty sure it was Onolicious..right Pat?:-)

Remember to wear your mask outside. Be safe everyone!!

Last edited:

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Also I am not asking people to fight because I know its impossible. Us fisherman have been getting pounded by anti-fishing legislation for decades. Guys only whine AFTER legislation is passed, by that point its too late. The reality is that its easier to go outlaw and do whatever you want, because there is zero enforcement. Until guys start getting caught and facing real punishments for breaking the laws, noone is going to bother to actually fight for their rights in the legislature. However there is a small handful of dedicated people who are fighting pretty hard in the legislature for all of our rights.

By the way this could have easily been a shark or another ono or anything. Theres no proof that it was FKW, except for your own speculation that it was. And that does way more damage to those few guys who are fighting for our rights than you can imagine.
Randay,
I do appreciate the input and certainly don't want to give the opposition any more fuel.
Thanks
Pat

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Earl,
I don't think Randy is proposing hiding, but avoiding getting the naysayers more ammunition to fight what we love to do, I can appreciate the concern. Especially right now when many of our Liberties have been infringed upon; we should consider ourselves lucky many people from other Coastal States are not able to take their boats out to the open water.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: jkvshooter

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
FKW = fu king whiner
Probably not.
What just happened to your post Pat??

Well, the FKW got a piece of it to eat, Pat ate the other peice. See, sharing is caring. Nobody got hurt except for the Ono...Aaaannnd I’m pretty sure it was Onolicious..right Pat?:-)

Remember to wear your mask outside. Be safe everyone!!
Truman,
I am OK the turn the post took, it brings to light some concerns we should have (the potential to loose the right to do something we all LOVE), at least in the back of our minds.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Dec 28, 2016
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Truman
Boat
Arima SR19 "Island Time"
went back and re-read what Randay was posting. I understand now. Definitely dont want to give other side ammo for shutting down our fishing. I do appreciate the ability to catch and eat fish here. Good luck out there Pat and others. Be safe and tight lines

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
On the flip side, cooperating with marine mammal scientists and managers regarding marine mammal interactions in small boat fisheries actually provides needed data to ensure compliance with existing MMPA, ESA, requirements and helps to prevent any aimed or directed affront on the local fisheries. As it is, our state-issued logbooks provide a means for reporting interactions. 0 reported interactions, in say, the local troll fishery, raise a much bigger red flag for those organizations aimed at restricting fisherman, than good/consistent long term data that more closely reflects reality.

Everyone knows interactions with protected species occur, but a known low-level impact is much more defensable and meaningful than an unknown/under-reported level... IMHO.

Each person decides how they will report catch data, and to what extent that want to be involved in fisheries or protected species research and management or advocacy just like each adult will make their own decisions on how they report their annual earnings or file their taxes.

Just my personal opinion.

John

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Parts of the world, people eat whales and dolphins, wonder how FKW compares with those?
tight lines,

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
On the flip side, cooperating with marine mammal scientists and managers regarding marine mammal interactions in small boat fisheries actually provides needed data to ensure compliance with existing MMPA, ESA, requirements and helps to prevent any aimed or directed affront on the local fisheries. As it is, our state-issued logbooks provide a means for reporting interactions. 0 reported interactions, in say, the local troll fishery, raise a much bigger red flag for those organizations aimed at restricting fisherman, than good/consistent long term data that more closely reflects reality.

Everyone knows interactions with protected species occur, but a known low-level impact is much more defensable and meaningful than an unknown/under-reported level... IMHO.

Each person decides how they will report catch data, and to what extent that want to be involved in fisheries or protected species research and management or advocacy just like each adult will make their own decisions on how they report their annual earnings or file their taxes.

Just my personal opinion.

John
Thanks John.