Daiwa SK jig reccomendations

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Derrick Van
Boat
Don't got one
Hi I am looking to hop on a overnight on the Old Glory to go after some bluefin. I have a Avet SX I'm planning on running with a 25 or 30lb setup. Might be able to borrow my buddy's Trinidad 20a (what should I setup on that?), and planning on renting a rod at H&M for any bigger models. I normally fish the island and occasionally offshore when the getting is good but never ventured on anything over 40. I see that the new hot trend has moved on from flatfalls to sk jigs (and for good reason too I saw them get bit). so I want to get a few for myself aswell. What color do you guys recommend and how many grams? Do I need to rerig them for the 100+ or are they pretty good out of the box. Thank you! I am hoping to get my first trophy fish and have fun since its my first time fishing down in San Diego. Heard good things about the Old Glory and I can't catch fish sitting on my chair all day.

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    The colors that have been working this year are blue and pink in 6 to 7 ounces and the zebra in 9-11 ounces but good luck finding those. Best bet is to find one that has good action and getting it into the zone. For the larger BFT it is recommended that you use a leader 130 and up. Good luck

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    The SK’s are really hard to find right now; Nomad Buffalo, Tady Tuna TSP, Daiwa Mr Slow and of course Shimano flat fall all work just fine are easier to get in the sizes and colors mentioned above. Right place, right time is what counts 😉

Upvote 0

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
  • Oct 7, 2006
    los alamitos
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    whatever floats
    I would also take some knife jigs like the Mustad Rip Roller or the Nomad Streakers. Seems like on some of the trips they’re keyed in on more of the knife jig profile than the flat fall.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I would also take some knife jigs like the Mustad Rip Roller or the Nomad Streakers. Seems like on some of the trips they’re keyed in on more of the knife jig profile than the flat fall.
    I think the reason for that is the knife jigs, generally speaking, get to the zone much faster and that is especially helpful when the weather or current is up. The knife jigs have the advantage of being fished vertically quicker and longer than flutter or slow fall jigs.

Reactions: mutu0069

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    The crew on our trip made an announcement before we left the dock, "It's going to be windy, if you don't have a 300-350gr jig, go up to the landing and buy one." About 6-7 guys went up into Fisherman's and came back with hand fulls.
    Bluefin SK Jig.jpg

SK 300gm Katy Perry, Colt snipper 100-120gr, SK 250gr
    Get some 4x stinger trebles in 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 and some heavy duty split rings. You will need heavy leader too. The crew might be able to help you out there.

Upvote 0

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
  • Oct 7, 2006
    los alamitos
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    whatever floats
    I think the reason for that is the knife jigs, generally speaking, get to the zone much faster and that is especially helpful when the weather or current is up. The knife jigs have the advantage of being fished vertically quicker and longer than flutter or slow fall jigs.
    I agree

Koyote

Hooked
    Oct 18, 2018
    Menifee
    Name
    Z.
    Boat
    Yours
    Ive landed 30 lb tuna using 25lb test on the SX before. I have the raptor model so I have the upgraded drag. The tuna came in easy. Not using it to target anything above 40-50lbs
    The fish being caught right now are in the triple digits. You might not be targeting them but the old glory will be and sure enough you throw that #30 and your likely to hookup to a beast that will school you. I'd rent or borrow at least a #80 to keep in the big fish game. I'm on the Pac.Queen tomorrow and yesterday's count showed 30 of the 70 fish where over 100#!!
    I know the Raptors kick ass but its going to be hard on a sporty to getem to gaff with 30# and a small line capacity reel. But I wish you the best, tight lines.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    What color do you guys recommend and how many grams? Do I need to rerig them for the 100+ or are they pretty good out of the box.

Here are some alternatives if you can't find the name brand you are looking for.

Amazon product

Amazon product

Upvote 0

chavid

Almost A Member
    May 6, 2013
    Rancho cucamonga
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Pursuit 315 OS
    Hi I am looking to hop on a overnight on the Old Glory to go after some bluefin. I have a Avet SX I'm planning on running with a 25 or 30lb setup. Might be able to borrow my buddy's Trinidad 20a (what should I setup on that?), and planning on renting a rod at H&M for any bigger models. I normally fish the island and occasionally offshore when the getting is good but never ventured on anything over 40. I see that the new hot trend has moved on from flatfalls to sk jigs (and for good reason too I saw them get bit). so I want to get a few for myself aswell. What color do you guys recommend and how many grams? Do I need to rerig them for the 100+ or are they pretty good out of the box. Thank you! I am hoping to get my first trophy fish and have fun since its my first time fishing down in San Diego. Heard good things about the Old Glory and I can't catch fish sitting on my chair all day.
    This is one of my favorite SK. It is deadly for day or night. 250gr Glow Dot. I did the re-rigging myself.

SK Glow Dot.jpg

Reactions: Dudley613
    Upvote 0

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Derrick Van
    Boat
    Don't got one
    The fish being caught right now are in the triple digits. You might not be targeting them but the old glory will be and sure enough you throw that #30 and your likely to hookup to a beast that will school you. I'd rent or borrow at least a #80 to keep in the big fish game. I'm on the Pac.Queen tomorrow and yesterday's count showed 30 of the 70 fish where over 100#!!
    I know the Raptors kick ass but its going to be hard on a sporty to getem to gaff with 30# and a small line capacity reel. But I wish you the best, tight lines.
    Yea I am going to be renting heavier gear I said in the original post.
    and planning on renting a rod at H&M for any bigger models.

The capt of the old glory right now is sounding like he is opting for the school sized fish right now according to his 976 tuna reports. Im still going to rent the heavier outfits though as I do want a shot at the bigger ones

Upvote 0

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Derrick Van
    Boat
    Don't got one
    I got these jigs to catch me some tuna, a 250g knife jig rerigged with owner monster 7/0 assist hooks
    20210713_153110.jpg
    , 160g flatfall, 130g daiwa zakana jig, 60g colt sniper, 60g zakana jig. Are these jigs all I need or am I missing a few. I dont go out much so I want the best chance I got to get a hookup. Looking forward to this trip and I just want to go out. Catching comes as a byproduct, but I want to up my chances.

Upvote 0

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Derrick Van
    Boat
    Don't got one
    Also, when I am tying onto my mainline with the zakana and colt sniper jigs, can I tie to the split ring or do I need a snap swivel. New to bigger fish and I heard it might be a problem

lazyfisherman
    lazyfisherman
    Depends on the swivel and split ring. You want as heavy as possible without affecting the jig's flutter. I've used 300lb swivels with Owner Ultra size 8 split rings.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    Some jigs fish better on the fall, some better on the retrieve. Hard to know what they want unless you have it all. Everyday, the bite changes so buying everything available and hoping for the best is all we can do. Upgrade hooks on every jig you buy.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Jigs selection looks good! If you're using swivels, tie your leader directly to the swivel.

Remember, time at the rail is the most important thing. Work your arms off!

If you are so inclined, might want to get yourself a heavier jig or two... 400-500g-ish for the night action. If there's a lot of wind and/or current and nobody else is using the heavies, it could be the ace up your sleeve needed to get bit.

Reactions: Derrick.Van
    Upvote 0