muledeer07

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Well I finally broke down and bought some of the smooth drag carbon tech washers for both reels. I used the Alan Tani tutorial (perfectly illustrated I might add) to take the reels apart service them and install the washers with Cal grease exactly as specified. Everything went back together perfect, everything works.
Except the drags are sticky at high settings???????? I checked the metal washers for burrs and made sure there flat. Right amount of cal grease. They are not near as smooth as they were before the upgrade away from the felt washers. May I add the felt washers were a little dark showing some signs of heat. Any suggestions, is there a break in period or something I've missed. Any help greatly appreciated.

noa

Jun 16, 2008
Northern California
Name
Bryan
Boat
Ke Ola Hou
Are you holding the spool and cranking yhe handle or tying off the line and pulling against the drag?

Many times the drags will feel jumpy/sticky when you hold the spool because of your hand pressure.

And lastly, you may want to tye off the line and pull against the drag several times then test it out. Sometimes the drag needs to seat just like your car brakes.

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Thank you for the quick response Noa. Unfortunately I put both reels back on there rods and tied the line off to the mail box and started walking up the street increasing drag pressure as I go. I might just try that a bunch of times today and see if I can seat them properly. I'm hoping that's all it is. I don't think it can be anything else. I just redid my 4/0 with a 5 stack carbon upgrade exactly as explained and its flawless. Just changed the carbon washers in my saragosa and they are money. Figured somebody on here would help. Thank you.

noa

Jun 16, 2008
Northern California
Name
Bryan
Boat
Ke Ola Hou
I would check is the metal drag washers and the gear sleeve. Many times the washers and/or gear sleeve develops a slight burr due to the interaction between them so they don't slide or seat well.

And last would probably look at the carbontex washers to see that they were well greased. Many reels that I service I have found that my customers wanted to save as much grease as possible so they lightly coated the washers but left dry spots wich caused jumpy drags. It has to be either completely or well greased for smooth drag operation (assuming a good drag grease like Cal's, Shimano,....)

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

Oh, one thing that came to mind, the eared washer. How is it seated in the main gear? Did it bottom out in the slot of the main gear? This can also cause jerky drags because the metal washers with wobble, which means you may need to grind out the slot or go with thicker carbontex washers.

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
I know for sure the washers were well greased with Cal's thought maybe I had over greased them but looked just like the pics,Looks like I'm taking them apart again. For not being a mechanical person I understand everything you're talking about. Thank you very much, I'll let you know.