Daiwa Saltist 2-spd Lever Drag - Problem?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by clevel, Oct 30, 2016.

1. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    I had a 30lbs tuna in low gear on my Daiwa Saltist 2-speed Lever Drag reel (STTLD30-2SPD) and suddenly there was a cracking sound. I thought my rod snapped but that was not the case. I think what happened was that the reel slipped out of low gear into high gear. I don't know if I accidentally touch the gear release lever in the heat of the moment. Anybody with the same experience?

2. drumford

drumford gotta go babe!

Name:
    Dondo
    Boat:
    Cory's Rig
    Operator error

3. M4ttt0

M4ttt0 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Party Party
    nope not op error. i have the 35 and have used it to catch a lot of fish and periodically it will go in and out of low and high gear. it only just started for me last season. still not sure why it does it yet.

4. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Odds are there is a bit of salt or corrosion in the two speed shift mechanism. This should be a simple fix.

5. fishboy93

fishboy93 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Who’s hiring?
    Those things suck. Seen a lot of the black and blue saltist 2 speeds break almost everytime I see one it had issues

Mickeyfin likes this.
  6. Bearwell

Bearwell Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    I have a Saltist 40 with that problem. When I'm on a fish and hauling on the handle, I think it torques the shift mechanism and the shift detent slips and the button pops back out of low gear.

I sent it to Daiwa but it came back with the same problem. It appears the button shaft is too long and this prevents the shift detent from fully engaging. I had a machinist cut the button shaft gap a bit wider and that seems to have helped. I didn't catch anything big enough, on my last trip, to really stress the handle so I don't know if the problem is solved.

I noticed that new Saltists shift better, as in the shift detent clicks with more authority when you press the shift button. Mine is an early production example purchased soon after it was released. Was yours an early production model?

Chris

7. ROSSOLY

ROSSOLY Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    N/A
    I've fished a lot of different brands of two-speed reels over the years and the Saltists were my least favorite. They are not robust and feel cheap. Throwing them in gear with only moderate drag is not done smoothly and is met with alot of resistance. To the OP, perhaps you should sell it and move to a different brand or model (Saltiga).

FishfinderX likes this.
  8. fishcrazy

fishcrazy Member

Name:
    ed
    Boat:
    none
    2 reasons why I got rid if mine, 1st I didn't like the 6-1 & 3-1 gear ratio, I hated the handles on those reels. That being said I've gone to the Penn Fathoms for the same amount of money or less & I really like them.