Daiwa Proteus Xh spinning rod for popping?

Free5pool

Jul 25, 2018
Long Beach
Name
Jake Kasser
Boat
Pursuit
Im looking at a Daiwa Proteus PTB74XHFS Spinning Boat rod rated 65-100# to pair with a Penn Slammer 6500HS for throwing poppers. Anyone have any experience with these rods? I know there are better, more expensive options out there but I'm stuck in the $200 range. Rod needs to be able to handle fish up to 100lb.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I have a Slammer III 5500 on a PRTB76HFS and it's a pretty stout rig, will toss a colt sniper a mile. Big Brother might work out nicely for you. FYI I'd suspect that 65-100 rating is braid, not mono. Never understood why it would make a difference though.

Also I have the XHF in conventional 7' and had (sold) the 7'-6" model. These are way under rated at 30-60 and are solid 60-80# rods easily capable of 100+ lb fish. Assuming the XHFS is the same blank I'd say you're good.

Upvote 0

tingo777

Jul 6, 2017
Bozeman, MT
Name
Matthew
Boat
Driftboat
I have a PRTB70HFS that I paired with a Saragosa 10k. I’ve only had the chance to go on one 8day with it, but I caught a 70lb grouper on that setup. Wouldn’t recommend it, but it handled it. Really fun for throwing Madscads to school sized fish though.

Upvote 0

ckcadavona

Sep 15, 2014
IE/OC
Name
Carl
Boat
n/a
I've landed triple digit fish on my Proteus XH 8 footer conventional version. It has the back bone and allows you to work the rail fine fishing 60-80lb

Upvote 0

Free5pool

Jul 25, 2018
Long Beach
Name
Jake Kasser
Boat
Pursuit
cool thanks. I ended up getting a Okuma PCH Popping rod XH. It was a toss up between that and the Proteus. I liked they ALPS reel seat and the guides a little better on the Okuma but the Proteus was a very nice rod as well.

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Have you looked at the Okuma Hawaiian Popping rods? I am looking at the Proteus as well for colt snipers, stick baits and maybe bait.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    The one you want is a true popping rod like an OTI RS2.

Proteus is just a standard boat rod and Okuma hasn't quite got the idea either.

Ocean Tackle International (OTI) has been in the business of straight jigging and popping since their inception. Give them a look at oceantackle.net Their rods are just a notch below the $800-1000 Japanese rods that are a beauty to behold.

Free5pool

Jul 25, 2018
    Long Beach
    Name
    Jake Kasser
    Boat
    Pursuit
    My buddy has a Phenix Titan popping rod. I pulled on it and the okuma and couldnt feel much difference. Both strong in the tip for pulling poppers through the foamers and backbone to lift a 100# fish. OTI definitely in the game longer the PCH popping rod is only 200 bucks. Proteus is definitely softer in the tip than true popping rods.

Upvote 0