Daiwa Luna vs Shimano Calcutta D

flasaltangler

Oct 9, 2007
Florida
Name
Fred
Boat
none
I'm looking to purchase baitcasting reel for throwing swim baits. I've been considering between the Daiwa Luna 253/300 and the Shimano Calcutta 300/400 D. Please let me know from personal experience your thoughts. I will be pier and inlet fishing. Also what are your thoughts on the discontinued Calcutta Te if I'm lucky enough to find a new one? I appreciate any input.

Grmanrocks

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Spencer
Boat
26' Navy Whaleboat
i loved my tes but over time swapped them out for D series curados. just liked the low profile better.

as for the luna vs D calcutta, id lean toward the d but i hate the star on that reel. either get a real drag star for it from hedgehog studio or look into ocea calcuttas from overseas, same parts, real drag star.

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
I'm looking to purchase baitcasting reel for throwing swim baits. I've been considering between the Daiwa Luna 253/300 and the Shimano Calcutta 300/400 D. Please let me know from personal experience your thoughts. I will be pier and inlet fishing. Also what are your thoughts on the discontinued Calcutta Te if I'm lucky enough to find a new one? I appreciate any input.
Fred, there is someone that is selling a brand new Calcutta TE 400 size on BD recently:
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bnib-calcutta-400-te.609910/

Maybe he might be able to ship it to you if you don't mind? Check it out! It's a great reel.

flasaltangler

Oct 9, 2007
Florida
Name
Fred
Boat
none
Fred, there is someone that is selling a brand new Calcutta TE 400 size on BD recently:

Maybe he might be able to ship it to you if you don't mind? Check it out! It's a great reel.

Lam thanks for the heads up on the 400te, but I'm looking to hear more responces to post before I make a decision.

Fleet

Thepowderblues.com
May 17, 2015
Solana Beach
Name
Fishing Jedi
Boat
BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
I have the 400D but recently picked up a Revo nacl 60 and cant seem to get back to the 400. Its a really wide feeling low pro and it just feels so much less top heavy that i cant put it down.

dota9

Mar 18, 2012
fontana
Name
long
Boat
outcast prowler
i like the 400d because I have a good grip on it because it fits my palm perfectly and it's tough built for sure and even has the level winder that I like... I don't like low profile reels but I never had the urge for one anyways.

Native20559

Displaced Surf Fisherman
Mar 5, 2011
Colorado
Name
TJ
Boat
n/a
Great question! I'm a dedicated swimbait fisherman so know what you're looking for. After having researched and handled the "D" series extensively, I wouldn't buy the "D" series. They're difficult to set up and maintain without having to remove the covers on the reel and the reel doesn't have thumb screws like the previous TE series did so it's a reel pain in the keester having to do it with tools especially while you're trying to set your drag!!! The screws are on the handle side and the entire case covering the spool to the left side comes off when the screws are removed! Alot of folks complained about it when it was introduced.

I have a some Luna's (300) and several TE's (400), they are really great reels for hard use. Knowing what I know about the Luna and TE series and having used them extensively for some time, I'd have to say let your pocket book decide, yeah they're both that good. For the money, I'd recommend the Luna 300 @ around $280 as your best buy. Though you might also want to consider the new Conquests which are also exceptional, expensive and a notch up from the previous TE's. A sleeper I own and can recommend if you can find a used one, is the disco'd Daiwa Pluton, which are tough as nails and then some.

A reel you didn't ask about that I would strongly suggest is the new Daiwa JDM Ryoga Shrapnel Japan limited from http://japantackle.com/ which replaced the older, previously disco'd, limited edition, "snakehead" fishing reel, the Daiwa Millionaire Black Sheep, which was probably the best built level wind on the planet for the money so this new model should be at least as good and then some.

Hope this has helped some ... let me know if you have any other questions about these reels I can help you with.

Reactions: JTL750 and warfrik

flasaltangler

Oct 9, 2007
Florida
Name
Fred
Boat
none
Great question! I'm a dedicated swimbait fisherman so know what you're looking for. After having researched and handled the "D" series extensively, I wouldn't buy the "D" series. They're difficult to set up and maintain without having to remove the covers on the reel and the reel doesn't have thumb screws like the previous TE series did so it's a reel pain in the keester having to do it with tools especially while you're trying to set your drag!!! The screws are on the handle side and the entire case covering the spool to the left side comes off when the screws are removed! Alot of folks complained about it when it was introduced.

I have a some Luna's (300) and several TE's (400), they are really great reels for hard use. Knowing what I know about the Luna and TE series and having used them extensively for some time, I'd have to say let your pocket book decide, yeah they're both that good. For the money, I'd recommend the Luna 300 @ around $280 as your best buy. Though you might also want to consider the new Conquests which are also exceptional, expensive and a notch up from the previous TE's. A sleeper I own and can recommend if you can find a used one, is the disco'd Daiwa Pluton, which are tough as nails and then some.

A reel you didn't ask about that I would strongly suggest is the new Daiwa JDM Ryoga Shrapnel Japan limited from http://japantackle.com/ which replaced the older, previously disco'd, limited edition, "snakehead" fishing reel, the Daiwa Millionaire Black Sheep, which was probably the best built level wind on the planet for the money so this new model should be at least as good and then some.

Hope this has helped some ... let me know if you have any other questions about these reels I can help you with.
TJ I really appreciate your in depth reply. This will definitely give me something to consider when purchasing. Thanks

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
There are some very nice round baitcasters w/levelwind mentioned in this thread but I remain a fan of the low-profile geometry. Generally, you get a larger main gear that equals more strength and more drag.

Revo Toro S/Beast is the real deal.

Reactions: JTL750

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None

Exactly!! This guy knows the reel.
Round casters rock all the way.

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
There are some very nice round baitcasters w/levelwind mentioned in this thread but I remain a fan of the low-profile geometry. Generally, you get a larger main gear that equals more strength and more drag.

Revo Toro S/Beast is the real deal.
Do either the Revo Toro S or Beast have a clicker like the NaCl reels do?

JTL750

Oct 8, 2013
SD
Name
Str8up Jesse
Boat
SS Bobber

Agree 100%.

I had a 200 and 400 D but sold them both because of how you have to completely open them up to adjust anything. A horrible design for a saltwater reel. And the level winds are plastic and seem cheap.

Do either the Revo Toro S or Beast have a clicker like the NaCl reels do?
No

Bob_Benner

Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Name
Bob Benner
Boat
none
I also had a 200 and 400D and sold them both. Breaking systems are adjustable for a reason, to adjust them! Not so easy with the D series Calcuttas. Diana Lunas are awesome.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet