Daiwa Lexa 400HD locking up?

Free5pool

Jul 25, 2018
Long Beach
Name
Jake Kasser
Boat
Pursuit
I have a Daiwa Lexa 400HD that has been giving me some trouble. On my last trip it was locking up while in free spool and would not go into gear. It was pissing me off because I lost a couple Dorado in the morning. I had to switch setups. Anyone else have this happen? Will a simple service on the reel help fix the problem or is this a known issue on the Lexa? I have had it for about 5 years.

gved823

• Sep 12, 2009
    Lakewood
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Sold
    Cast control rusted?

20210720_202921.jpg

Rusted bearings?
    20200816_170008.jpg

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Mine just started not going into gear. Luckily you can flip the thumb lever up to put it in gear.

Upvote 0

PMAIXXSH

Apr 7, 2017
    KSAN
    Name
    Philip Mai
    Boat
    SSBN-731
    I actually had the same problem - but it was with a brand new Lexa 300. Since then, I stopped using it for livebait and only for swimbaits and jigs...

Upvote 0
    May 28, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian Olande
    Boat
    21' Chris Craft Sea Hawk
    The drag on mine locked up while fighting a bluefin last year. That was my second time using the reel since I bought it a week prior. Sold it and never got another one

Upvote 0

Fedge101

Jul 7, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    NA
    Had the same issue, sent the reel in to Daiwa to get fixed and they did. A couple of trips later and then the level wind stopped working. Also had mine for 5 years (fished it hard every season) and caught more fish offshore on that reel than any other. I figured I got my money's worth, retired it and bought a new one.

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    I love the performance of my 2 Lexas (300 and 400) but they just don't last. I do a full service on all my gear every year, and every year my other 30 reels are in great shape, and my 2 Lexa's are completely full of salt and corroded and need at least new cast brake magnets and/or bearings. The brake magnets rust and break into pieces within 2 years. I'm on my 3rd set. Frustrating, for sure.

Upvote 0

MatthewC

No. The Albacore are not coming back this year.
    Jan 17, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Matthew Carlin
    Boat
    Floating Kind
    I'm a little late to this thread, but every single issue here is avoidable. The first misconception is that a lexa is going to be as durable and resilient as a conventional. It isn't. That comes down to the nature of a low profile. Also, servicing a lexa once a year if you go on frequent trips is a HUGE no go. Very least, service it once every couple months if on regular trips. They also need to be sprayed after every single salt trip. I do not care if it's an HD or a WINN or any other model. They need to be flushed. Most people use high powered water jets or pinch the end of the hose. You do not want this. It shoves salt deeper into bearings. Keep a slow flow and rinse properly. Also, proper maintenance is probably the most important. In the salt, oil is NOT YOUR FRIEND. It breaks down and can be lost very easily. It does little to actually protect the insides of the reel. Grease is by far your greatest tool. The bail not engaging? It isn't greased and is binding because it is dry. Aside from the essential bearings that need to be oiled, apply grease to nearly everything. I have had multiple lexas of every line. I have never had a problem with any of them lasting multiple seasons with fish ranging from spotties on a bama rig, to calico, to yellowtail, to even bluefin. I flush mine every time when i get home and service them after 3 or 4 trips. It will save you time and money in the long run. And please, PLEASE, if you do let it go without servicing and it locks up and you plan on trashing it or selling it, watch this video...

Many times, it is only one small thing that can make a reel appear "trashed".

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    5 years without a full break down is your problem. I service my lexas every year or half a season. Baitcasters just don't hold up as well as traditional conventional reels. That is the price you pay for a levelwind and magnet cast control. Even some magnetic cast control conventional reels get salt and rust build up on the magnets. Even shimano baitcasters are not immune to the saltwater.

Reactions: PennDaiwaShimano
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Under the thumb bar is a big opening where salt can get in and does. Care is needed to avoid this. The inside can be protected with grease. Which will give the reels some durability between services.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Daiwa is improving. The new lexa tw replaces that bearing with a bushing since that is the most common area for salt to build up = corroded bearings. But what your showing is user error. Lexas where made as musky reels for freshwater. Over time more and more guys started using them for salt. So if you are planning on using them for salt you should grease them with marine grease, or send them for service more often.

Reactions: PennDaiwaShimano
    Upvote 0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Santa Monica, Ca.
    Name
    Tony O'Connell
    Boat
    Hardcore
    My friend just had the drag on an almost new Lexa 400 freeze up on the initial run of a school grade bluefin and as a result it broke off. The star is frozen and we cannot pull any line off the spool but the reel will free spool.

Upvote 0