Daiwa Lexa 400 for Rockfish

Pinoybalot

Oct 27, 2013
Daly City, CA
Name
Freddie Gonzales
Boat
Party Boats
I am planning to get a Daiwa Lexa 400 for NorCal rockfishing by Farallones Islands. What gear ratio is recommended? Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
No problems with my 8.1:1. The spool height isn't that tall so no issues with torque if you hook something heavy. I never wished I had gone slower.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
I fish Oxnard and Moro Bay for rock cod and lings. My go to is the Lexa 400 6.1:1 Love it enough torque for the big lings and sheepshead. Plenty of speed for the double reds and chuckleheads. I loaded it with 65 8strand braid and just adjust the top shot for the fishing conditions. I also use this reel for yellows and schoolie tunas. You can toss a jig a mile. It is very important to match it with the correct rod for your fishing needs. If speed is the issue get the Daiwa 750 electric reel.

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    In SE Alaska at least, I wouldn't recommend a fast Lexa 400 for rockfish. We are typically fishing a pound of lead and cranking up that weight from 200 or 250 feet all day long with a 7:1 reel can get tiring; you get speed but not power. I have a 7:1 Lexa but usually use my Baja Special when I bottom fish -- partly because I'm really targeting halibut and need some power. The Lexa is great for tossing jigs to school tuna and yellowtail.

Upvote 0

mmsblee

I Pity The Fool
    Apr 3, 2012
    So Cal
    Name
    marshall
    Boat
    Boatless
    Consider adding a longer power handle to that high ratio Lexa 400. That is what worked for me.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    I use a Lexa 400LC 6.3 for Rockfish. If you look around online you can still find them 300 size too.

It's perfect for fishing Rockfish, I especially like that it has a clicker.

Upvote 0

Benorlo

• May 13, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Nothing
    Just get a conventional for rockfish. I fished a lexa for em before and a normal conventional outweighed the lexa by far in my opinion. Yeah the levelwind the lexa offers is nice but at the end of the day that things a bass reel. By that point get a smaller star drag (penn fathoms are solid).

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    Just get a conventional for rockfish. I fished a lexa for em before and a normal conventional outweighed the lexa by far in my opinion. Yeah the levelwind the lexa offers is nice but at the end of the day that things a bass reel. By that point get a smaller star drag (penn fathoms are solid).
    It's Rockfish there's no need to make it complicated. Any reel will do, even a spinner.

Benorlo

• May 13, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Nothing
    It's Rockfish there's no need to make it complicated. Any reel will do, even a spinner.
    True, any reel can work for them, but mixing bass reels w/ rockfish makes everything more complicated compared with conventional reels intended to be used for them.

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    True, any reel can work for them, but mixing bass reels w/ rockfish makes everything more complicated compared with conventional reels intended to be used for them.
    No it doesn't, that's ridiculous.
    400 size baitcasters are just as effective as conventionals for 30lb and under.

I keep hearing guys who are anti baitcaster constantly say that they've seen baitcasters get worked on tuna or big fish on party boats, but that's all Bs that's just them not liking change. You go on YouTube and you can see 400 size baitcasters make a quick work of school size tuna, even 60 pounders.

Benorlo

• May 13, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Nothing
    No it doesn't, that's ridiculous.
    400 size baitcasters are just as effective as conventionals for 30lb and under.

I keep hearing guys who are anti baitcaster constantly say that they've seen baitcasters get worked on tuna or big fish on party boats, but that's all Bs that's just them not liking change. You go on YouTube and you can see 400 size baitcasters make a quick work of school size tuna, even 60 pounders.
    Yeah they work... for bass LOL , and maybe smaller model offshore species but ill agree to disagree that they can catch fish, just not of the capacity an avet or fathom would give.

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    I fish shallow water rockfish at San Nicolas about 4 times a year and all I use is a Lexa 300 on a 8.5’ all star bass rod. Braid with 20lb flouro top shot. Your shoulder will thank you.

Upvote 0

nelson9

Dec 4, 2006
    elk grove
    Name
    nelson
    Boat
    none
    On my last Farallone trip it took 24 ozs to hold bottom
    using a trap rig with sand dabs. We were fishing 200+
    feet of water with a fast drift. I used a Lexa 400 with 6.3 to 1.
    It was a job to crank up 24 ozs and big rockfish/lings. I would
    not go higher than 6.3. Normaly I would fish 6-8 oz swimbaits
    or bars. If I fished trap rigs on a regular basis I would consider
    a conventional reel like a Fathom 15 or bigger.

Upvote 0