Daiwa has the worst customer service Done with them and their product

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by fish_guts, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    22.5 foot searay center console
    Savon just has a Really long wait time. i'll just fix it myself.

2. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Yep your right you fish too much. Time to take a break. I fish twice a week minimum and still dont consider that too much. Apples and oranges I guess.

3. rza007

rza007 Iron Sheik

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    I catch too much.

4. SDtone

SDtone *********

Name:
    Tone
    Boat:
    Nope
    Cool thanks for responding. If you need some one to fix it I could help you out too. If you plan to to fix it, the gears don't look that bad just need a good cleaning, same with the gear shaft. It probably needs a AR bearing and inner tube(if rusty).

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  5. titos334

titos334 VIP Elite Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Rainbow Surprise
    I don't think I fish too much, I'm at 2x a week sometimes more. It's the reels that thought I was going too much, they didn't like it.

6. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    22.5 foot searay center console
    Cool thanks! As soon as I Receive it i'll be working on fixing it. I need to use it next Friday so I have to work on it as soon it arrives to my house back from Daiwa.

7. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    sound like you need a back up set up or 2
    go luck

titos334 likes this.
  8. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    I told you that reel was a piece of shit when you were hyping it up last year.

NO4NMTL likes this.
  9. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    This is unbelievable,a fishing reel used in saltwater and fished hard has corrosion issues.Sounds to me like someone doesnt take good care of his gear.A Shimano,Okuma,Avet,Penn or any other brand will probably have the same issues if not taken care of.Maybe stick to the Penn 500 or 501,use it and abuse it and it will last forever.

johndtuttle and boatless indago like this.
  10. jerryl

jerryl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    N/A
    You got off cheap. I was surprised by my Accurate bill for a 270. Of course, I just paid it.

Photo on 5-1-15 at 8.27 PM.jpg

johndtuttle likes this.
  11. jerryl

jerryl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    N/A
    You got off cheap. I was surprised by my Accurate bill for a 270. Of course, I just paid it.

12. prolinegd

prolinegd Member

Name:
    patrick
    Boat:
    nada
    This is pretty funny, I have a Saltiga 40 that's one of my favorite reels...... WPP,

13. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Do you even fish? I bet your gear hasn't seen salt in a very long time. Possibly never.

Dom does take good care of his gear.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  14. InRodWeTrust

InRodWeTrust Too blessed 2 be stressed

Name:
    Wes
    Boat:
    Inflatable
    You abuse your gear. This is what you get.
    A miscommunication isn't bad customer service.

NO4NMTL and plj46 like this.
  15. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    I've had better results since I stopped rinsing my gear with a hose. I use penn rod and reel cleaner on a rag. It's tedious but it works for me.

16. boatless indago

boatless indago Boatless in Dago

Name:
    lj
    Boat:
    nomo boat
    check this out: Next time you spend BIG $$$$$$ on foreign reels.......open em up..before using and fill the mo fo's with fkn VASOLINE..........YES, damn anal lube from your ole ladies make up drawer!!!! foreign shit is made of whatever alloys are available to the manufacture that day @ the cheapest wholesale price.....so ya really NEVER know what the innerds are made of just like a dried up ole lady.....problem solved and no stupid phone calls to make.......ENJOY your reels staying fresh for a few years at least!!

NO4NMTL likes this.
  17. NO4NMTL

NO4NMTL Member

Name:
    Buddy
    Boat:
    205 Conquest
    Finally someone said it

18. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    From a guy who has used a lot of reels, here is what I have seen in 10 plus years of hard use of reels.
    Accurate- great reels, don't do well when not babied.
    Avet- failed quickly, less then 2 months of service. Too susceptible to saltwater intrusion
    Penn- Have to buy high end. Torque series is excellent.
    Shimano- Trinidad reels are excellent.
    Release- Too tight of tolerances for us, new ones may be better.
    Daiwa- Seagate and a few Saltist reeled in over 1000 Yellowfin tuna last season plus everything else we saw over a season. A few failed anti-reverses but overall you can't beat them for the money.

That being said, I toss jigs with a gold Trinidad, the boat fishes bait and bottom with Daiwa Seagates and Saltist. We trolled last year with Penn KG and LD reels which we had in service for years before sent to get worked on. I had one we put 10 years of service on from Threshers to Black Seabass to Tuna every year and never serviced it. Only to bring in this winter and service and sell here on BD. None of which needed drags. Just a cleaning.

So far we are loaded with fresh Daiwas and for trolling Penn International 16vsx reels, ones that can be used trolling, yet cut off your jethead and tie on a hook and have a 50 pound topless tuna rig..

Trolling reels should be dual purpose this year. Saves space and money.

Good luck.....

johndtuttle, jerryl and plj46 like this.
  19. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Look guys, I am no engineer and no pro reel tech but I have picked up a few things over time, often in direct communication with the Manufacturers and their Engineers.

There is no Low Profile Baitcaster that does not have potential corrosion issues due to the relatively "open" nature of their designs where the thumb bar enters the right side plate or from behind the spool or handle etc. They cannot be sealed to anyone's satisfaction as it would impact the use of the thumb bar or make them clunky and heavy and more expensive etc etc. There may be some overlapping of parts in the assembly here and there but saltwater is gonna get in there, sooner or later.

You can take any low profile reel made in the world and have similar problems with them let alone pretty much anything above a Penn Jigmaster in pedigree.

These low profile baitcasters are not use and abuse reels. They are Ferrari's that require regular and consistent opening up to keep everything lubed and corrosion free. Other simple star drags are completely different but if you want the casting convenience of thumb bars and levelwinds you are gonna have to learn to maintain your reels. Not just rinse them or wipe them down, but open them up and lube every part.

It is not cheap parts that is the source of the trouble, though I haven't seen the Daiwa design around the thumb bar to see if there is any overlapping of parts to help prevent intrusion...but really, it is Salt that will destroy pure stainless steel if not maintained. Ask any boat owner the nightmare of maintenance required.

Fish Guts:

If you send the reel to me I will do a complete service and do a photo tutorial for Alan Tani's site which will benefit the whole community. The only charge will be sending it to me and whatever parts we have to order from Daiwa. Hopefully with a little TLC the reel can be brought back to life with some time spent reconditioning parts. Send me a PM if you are interested.

best

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  20. lunas6

lunas6 Newbie

Name:
    louie
    Boat:
    mala suerte
    Stop bitching and spend time maintaining your reels instead of bagging on Diawa or any other reel manufacturer. Hope when the guy next to you lands that trophy fish using a diawa reel and your fish fails to come over the rail you think about KARMA!!!!

NO4NMTL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.