Daiwa has the worst customer service Done with them and their product

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by fish_guts, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    22.5 foot searay center console
    So I took my Lexa 400 in because of the reel not engaging every time I turn the handle from an unlocked position. (Handle turns and the reel doesn't engage)

My friend also has the same issue on the 300 so we both went there on recommendation of BD to drop off the reels.

They received the reels and long story short they ended up saying that the pinion gear and drive gear and 1 bearing were bad, they also told me that they hadn't taken it apart yet and this was just an estimate based on "feeling" the reel in their hands. and the bill would be $46+ to fix and ship back to me.

I then called and spoke to Toby, he said that the reel could have corrosion inside. he then went to look at it and said "well there's some salt buildup inside but no corrosion". (But I still needed all those parts replaced) he said he could get me 25% off the reel and that's the best he could do. I said fine because at this point I just want to fish it and not hassle anymore.

I then get a call from Laura Gutierrez at Daiwa saying that my bill will be the original amount of $46+ I told her I was supposed to get 25% off and she said she had to check. Then she said I would have to also pay additional shipping! At this point I just told her to ship me back my unfixed reel and I was done with them.

She said she would get back to me, I received an email the next day with pictures showing lots of corrosion. (I attached the pics they sent me). I then called and said well Toby had told me that he took it apart and it has a small amount of salt but no corrosion?? And why was I being told two different things.

The answer I received was " well the best I can do is give you 25% off parts" and that "did I see the pictures of the damage". not the answer to my question about why did Toby tell me one thing and now you tell me something different!! And she then said so would you like me to just send it back to you unfixed? I said ok and they said they would send it out today.

Never had this type of customer service before. (trying to blame the customer) one person saying one thing and another something different.?? what is going on there. I had a really good experience with them years ago. Did they hire all new people who just don't care about treating customers the way they should be

Sorry for the long rant but I'm just so fed up with Daiwa. (BTW does anyone know of a good place to fix this reel, I'd rather pay anyone else but Daiwa to fix it)

Once its fixed its going up for sale, along with all my other daiwa freshwater stuff. I will no longer support them. Shimano or Okuma from now on.

Thanks.

LEXA400HS-P I.jpg

LEXA400HS-P.jpg

Tony O'Connell likes this.
  2. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Disposable reels...

3. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    I'd say 40-50 $ to fix that mess is a damned good deal.

T.O.T.W., moz2121, widgeon and 5 others like this.
  4. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Thats not the point Carl. They lied and there service sucks. Diawa is way inferior to shimano.

Cutgilz and Whalebreath like this.
  5. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    I was prepared to pay it. but they told me that it wasn't corroded (then they send me these pics) . I don't mind paying to fix it but the way they deal with customers I'd rather pay someone else to fix it.

or if anything I'll probably end up doing it myself. Its not about the money. 40 bucks is fine with me. its the crap customer service. I like their reels but the service I got just made me never want to use their stuff again.

Whalebreath likes this.
  6. noa

noa Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Ke Ola Hou
    I personally would clean out the reel in a ultrasonic cleaner first before recommending new gears unless it's really bad and needing replacement. I can also see based on the pictures where the problem may exist for re-engagement Of the drive system.

You can try look athttp://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12565.0 If you want to try to do it yourself.

It appears that we don't have a full tutorial of this reel yet though. They ate not extremely difficult reels to service...not I have not serviced a 400 sized reel yet, on 100s and 300s. I'm sure it's not very different. If you run into any problems, ping me here or better post on AlanTani.com because I check there more often.

There are a lot of good repair places in SoCal. The only few that I know about are Sav-On, Ken's custom Reel, ReelSpeed,... I'm not familiar with the locations are with respect to you though.

Good luck.

7. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Sorry about your experience.

I left Penn Reels years ago for a similar experience with a Graphite Lever Senator that cost me a fortune (to me at the time being in college). I had fished squidders and everything in between as a kid back East but after that experience of the GLS spool warping and them not know what to do, giving me bad information and rendering my reel useless I swore I would and will never buy their products again. Done with Penn.

Shimano all the way! Only once had a gear break in my Conquest, sent it to them and it was back in my hands fixed free of charge with return shipping included in a few days...free of charge. That is how customer service is supposed to work! Good luck with your next reel(s).
    Will

8. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    The way I read it is they were sticking to the original estimate in spite of the corrosion found. Not only that there was the possibility of the discount. Of course you are going to have to pay for shipping if you don't cruise by and pick it up..

I get that you were perhaps told conflicting things by different people regarding corrosion. People make mistakes, first impressions aren't always correct, miscommunications occur etc etc.. If they're sticking with their original estimate, regardless of the discount, I'm confused as to where your anger lies.

9. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    Thanks! I'll check out the link. I will def try the ultrasonic cleaner first.

10. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    More than one "miscommunication" and seriously I had an issue with an Okuma reel last week, they said bring it in. I took it in. they took care of everything with the reel and kept in communication with me. I didn't have to keep calling like I did with Daiwa. Free of charge no questions asked.

Like I said I kept getting the runaround. And they are charging me also for "Adjusting" the clutch (which they say is the reason it doesn't engage). They also told me "well maybe you didn't rinse it" then I told them I always rinse my reels. To which they replied well even freshwater will ruin a reel after time. I guess I need to find a new way to clean this extremely delicate reel. I have an avet that I abuse to death, I rarely rinse it off, use it for fishing bigger models of fish and it has NEVER given me issues, its over 3 years old. this Lexa started with this issue after only a few months.

I would have been glad to pay for the parts that are corroded,etc. but for cleaning, and for "adjusting" the clutch and whatever other misc charges they threw in I think those should be taken care of. Especially since I'd been told by reps even that they had seen this same problem before with the reel not engaging. (my buddy's reel has the same issue, he doesn't need the gear or the pinion) just adjusting the clutch and cleaning and they are charging him $26 when its a known issue.

Anyway it seems like maybe you are okay with subpar service, being lied to, having to call to pursue something you were told you would be called back about and being told that "maybe you didn't rinse it off"

I do not feel the same way.

dh515 and CDRPLG like this.
  11. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    savon!

12. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Was just thinking this myself. I've never sent my reels in to Daiwa, I just had savon work on the, including my lexa which I had admittedly abused.

Everything is silky smooth, and most importantly no shipping.

The biggest cost is the other crap I buy the two times I have to go to first drop the reel off and then to pick it back up.

13. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I am guessing if you put it up for sale here, no one is going to buy it.

14. SDtone

SDtone *********

Name:
    Tone
    Boat:
    Nope
    sucks you had a bad experience with Daiwa, how much do you want for the reel as it is???

15. Tony O'Connell

Tony O'Connell Member

Name:
    Tony O'Connell
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    I bought a lexa 400 and immediately sold it when I found open direct access to the side plates at the the thumbbar areas which would allow saltwater intrusion into the side plates. I posted this info to warn others of this fact. Obviously your photos confirm my fears despite the fact that most others on this site recommend these reels. I too have given up on Diawa, while Shimano does a super rebuild job on my TE400 reels for $25. T

16. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    People who recommend diawa haven't tried shimano reels yet or don't fish enough. I found out the hard way 25 plus years ago when I began fishing freshwater as a kid. Sucked then and still do.

17. maxpowers

maxpowers Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    someday a 23' Striper
    If you have someone you trust do a pre-fishing service on your new Lexa, there is no issue with saltwater. I accidentally dropped my Lexa into 50 ft of ocean water and it was luckily retrieved by a fellow angler. Went home and open it the next day with hardly any water in the reel and no corrosion. I attributed that to my opening up the reel and greased/lubed all exposed areas. The bearings were opened by me so I was able to lubed them too. Only thing I don't like so far about the Lexa is the soft metal (brass) they use for the level wind worm shaft. Mine is already damaged but Diawa sent me a new one free of charge.

18. titos334

titos334 VIP Elite Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Rainbow Surprise
    That's interesting, I stopped using Shimano because I fished too much and the reels couldn't come with me because they spent too much time getting worked on.

tanner.s and drumford like this.
  19. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    Once I fix it i'll sell it for $120 bucks. not selling it before I fix it.

20. hazman

hazman He Who Never Fishes

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    None
    Sold all my Daiwas after multiple failures while using them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.