Daiwa BG8000 quality

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by NonProphet, Dec 7, 2017.

1. NonProphet

NonProphet Member

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    Keywest 2300 SS
    I recently bought a Daiwa BG8000 and found that it had a bunch of sticky residue on the rotor. It's all over and it comes off but it still looks smudgy.

[​IMG]

I contacted both the retailer (TackleDirect) and Daiwa and they both wrote it off. TD said oh they all come like that but they all work fine. Send it back for a refund. Daiwa said "oh it's just some oil/wax" that built up during shipment it should work fine.

Maybe it's because of the holidays or maybe I'm just particular... but when I open a box of hot newness I expect it feel like new, work like new and look like new. Neither Daiwa or TD offered to fix the issue and send me a reel without residue.

Did anyone else experience this with this series? Or Daiwa products in general?

Also, I bought this for $89 through a "members only" sale on TD. They marketed these as an Exclusive Tackle Direct color but a rep as chatted with also called them blems. It doesn't mention blem on any of the product pages so maybe they're just trying to offload a bunch of crappier ones.

2. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Got my BG6500 from srmo.com, and it definitely did NOT look like that.

3. BrentH

BrentH Member

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    Yeah
    Will it clean up? If it’s stained I’d send it back. That’s not all I hat much cheaper vs one locally. I’d bet it will be fine and I’m sure Daiwa will cover any issues that arise but it’s a pain if you have to go through that with a new reel. I’ve had 2 excellent customer service experiences with daiwa so that keeps me going back

4. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I just got a Avet MXL g2 mc with the two speed from tackle direct and it came out of the box broken. Im starting to think that tackle direct is not a good seller and im going to stay away from them in the future.

5. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    You think a retailer opens the box to verify the contents of brand new items? Lol. Sounds like you should have a beef with avet.

6. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    I bought one from J&H over a year ago. Definitely did not look like that.

7. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I own a 4000 size and it does not have that

8. NonProphet

NonProphet Member

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    Keywest 2300 SS
    From the two rods I've had repaired I've had great experience with their customer service as well. However with this product, the customer reps admitted that their first batches were shipped like this.

From the rep:
    "This is normal, yes. The BG uses a different grease than some of our other reels as we try to make sure it can stand up to the harsh saltwater environment. There were very few instances (yours being one of them) that the grease was subject to prolonged high heat (usually in the shipping process) and leaked out a small amount. The marks are actually imprints from the plastic bag the reel comes in sticking to the grease, similar to a carbon copy. "

They didn't offer to replace it leaving it to me to clean up a "new" product. Yes I could clean it up and sure it probably works fine but I expect more from a company. And I'm thinking if it leaks out there's a chance water can get sucked in. It's going back.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. Drundel

Drundel Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    none