Ignorant Sheep Farmer
Nov 13, 2005
Still in Oregon
Name
Lee
Boat
3' Too Short
Joe,
I do and I've been known to drop by their office a time or two, not as often as when
I lived in Alaska but more than most, heck I even know Alaska Rep. Don Young's chief of staff from Ketchikan. Unfortunatly if we aren't "political" we loose. I also have more time to do so due to my leg injuries.

Last edited:

Fred Archer

Big Game's the Name
May 16, 2004
Laguna Niguel/Cabo
Name
Captain Fred Archer
Boat
36 Custom (Cabo)
Not sure what you Island guys call what we call sierra mackerel (picture of one below), but we had lots of them in Cabo and caught big fish to well over 12# frequently on MeatBall bars (bars with sixteen little, 4" teasers) in much deeper water than the rest of the crews that I knew. A Toad teaser was a big help in raising them on the 20, 30, 50 and 100 lines where we found the big units.

They are beautiful, very fast, good fighting fish that the Mexicans guys call "wahoolote". They make great ceviche, sashimi, and are very popular breaded and fried. The smaller ones make good "everything" troll baits and the big ones are very good blue marlin and black marlin and BIG ono baits, rigged and trolled. And ones in the fifteen pound class could really get you in trouble with the biggest versions of those last three.

That's the good. The bad is their wicked teeth and as Pargon noted, their habit of gang-banging the bar teasers and slashing them and the leaders up. I only know of one other fish that does that sort of thing, small king mackerel, which we didn't have down in Mex and I was glad for that. They too are gang-banging slicers and dicers. Those sierra are slippery, slinky devils and they were the leading biters of my crew and kept them busy with the Super Glue patch jobs.

Now the ono's were a different story and I don't know why. Maybe it was because we didn't hardly ever catch little, dinky ones, but we got plenty of multiple stops on schools of medium and bigger ones. They were my best ono catchers and I'd have to go thru my logs to see just how many we caught on what we call WahooBars, but it was plenty. And thru all of those fish, I can only remember having one hit anything but the armed chasebait, and that was a pretty little guy that I actually saw hit the ball bearing swivel that connected my wind-on leader to the top of the lure leader. It was "snick", and no more bar. I'm sure that many of you have been there and done that on that "snick" stuff and you know what I'm talking about.

Actually, I was always surprised that we never got teaser-bit on the bars by ono, but we simply didn't and like I wrote, we caught big numbers of them on them and that's why I told Jeager Mike not to worry about it as far as wahoo are concerned. Now sierra? Different story if you have them or a hula version of them over there. They love little bars, but too much, unless you like re-rigging teasers a lot.

Here's some sierra picts. That biggest one got turned into a swim bait for marlin, but a big ono ate it instead after only minutes in the water. It was over a buck, so that was okay with me...I'll take a big ono over a marlin any day. I know, I'm a sick dude, but I just love those FangBangers and have been an ono nut case since I caught my first one over fifty years ago!

Those red fish are pargos, the grouper is obviously a grouper, there are some Pacific yellowtail mixed in with the sierras and here's a shot of a WahooBar, a decent-sized sierra it caught, along with some regulation ono that it slayed that day. That picture was taken on a trip to Magdalena Bay that Pargon's son, Igloo Man was running. Thanks, guys! And here's one that was slid in the transom door, taking a nap. Believe it or not, that's what they do when you don't gaff 'em, you just slide 'em in the back door..."snooooorrre!"

"BAR the door, Katey, dem FangBangers are comin'! Pow, pow, pow, pow! QUAD! Lines tight, keep drivin', no gaffin' or noggin conkin', just slide 'em in the transom door and put 'em in the box while they just lay there and get a sun tan."

Attachments