https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Thanks BD for fixing the thread title!

Sloppy conditions; west swell, 3-5ft at 3-4 seconds, S-SW winds 10-15. Turbulent. Water 61 degrees. A little murky, not bad though.

Stayed a few miles from harbor realizing the real weather was outside Cat, W winds to 25. We were only experiencing the loop.

Muddy and I fished the pipe at the harbor. Lead heads (specifically “Shakey Fish”) It’s $7 for a pack of two. The drifts are in front of and over the pipe which is about 9’ high. Drift is 100’ max, then reset. Interesting, yet logical part is that right after the drop in depth when passing the pipe it’s necessary to free-spool, dropping the bait right in front of the big boys hiding in the boobytrapped, miry shit.

I found a sweet spot well referenced by the lobster buoys at that pipe drop. Four passes in six I got bit by a monster. Every time I swung, immediately was rocked or bitten off. I gave up, sadly to say. I didn’t want to be a total sucker. I’ve seen big Black’s exhibit this behavior hilariously at my expense. I pictured this one with a bunch of lead head bling. Now sitting by my computer writing this thread, WTF, it’s only money. Should have seen how many lead heads she would take from me.

Next spot was off SC Pier. Due to the rapid wind drift and not being able to make contact with the bottom without RC weights, the hook was set. Boat was off the rock by 50’, so did a reset after an hour. Still couldn’t stick it the second time, so settled. (Muddy’s hands are so fucked up that I do the pulling) Resets are few and far between. We need a deckhand/spider monkey to help in winter. Were old and have seen better days. I SLIDE most of the year and that my preferred way to fish. I hate setting the hook, especially on the cuddy.

Anyways, not a lobster report . . . just a report.

Enjoy the short clip. (the bass seen in the video was eaten as fish tacos, hmmm)

Anyone eaten EEL? Looks sketchy as far as preparation, potential toxins. Doesn’t look like much fun trying to manage one either. That eel almost snapped the tip off the rod with the death roll.

Fishing is good.

"psuh"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
That eel looked like fun. We fished on Friday. Channel 16 was lit up with warnings of the upcoming wind/swell event.

Glad you got out safely.

We had a weird one on Friday. I hooked a calico on a swimbait. Got him a few cranks off the bottom, then another fish bit him and took me for a ride. I was just a spectator as line was stripping off the reel. The big fish finally let go and I pulled in an unhurt (but scratched up) calico, who was able to be released.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Meant rEEL fun.

Sloppy conditions; west swell, 3-5ft at 3-4 second, S-SW winds 10-15. Turbulent. Water 61 degrees.

Stayed a few miles from harbor realizing the real weather was outside Cat, W winds to 25. We were only experiencing the loop.

Muddy and I fished the pipe at the harbor. Lead heads (specifically “Shakey Fish”) It’s $7 for a pack of two. The drifts are in front of and over the pipe which is about 9’ high. Drift is 100’ max, then reset. Interesting, yet logical part is that right after the drop in depth when passing the pipe it’s necessary to free-spool, dropping the bait right in front of the big boys hiding in the boobytrapped, miry shit.

I found a sweet spot well referenced by the lobster buoys at that pipe drop. Four passes in six I got bit by a monster. Every time I swung, immediately was rocked or bitten off. I gave up, sadly to say. I didn’t want to be a total sucker. I’ve seen big Black’s exhibit this behavior hilariously at my expense. I picture this one with a bunch of lead head bling. Now sitting by my computer writing this thread, WTF, it’s only money. Should have seen how many lead heads she would take me for.

Next spot was off SC Pier. Due to the rapid wind drift and not being able to make contact with the bottom without RC weights, the hook was set. Boat was off the rock by 50’, so did a reset after an hour. Still couldn’t stick it the second time, so settled. (Muddy’s hands are so fucked up that I do the pulling) Resets are few and far between. We need a deckhand/spider monkey to help in winter. Were old and have seen better days. I SLIDE most of the year and that my preferred way to fish. I hate setting the hook, especially on the cuddy.

Anyways, not a lobster report . . . just a report.

Enjoy the short clip. (the bass seen in the video was eaten as fish tacos, hmmm)

Anyone eaten EEL? Looks sketchy as far as preparation, potential toxins. Doesn’t look like much fun trying to manage one either. That eel almost snapped the tip off the rod with the death roll.

Fishing is good.

"psuh"
Wouldn’t touch that Eel, fooey. Water looked pretty good from a color perspective, agree BSB taking your tackle, nice job, thank you for your report.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    A day on the water out does just about anything else. That's what is important. :smoking33:

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    is that Tommy T in your video? He took me on my first albacore trip got me hooked on salt water fishing back in the day !

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    is that Tommy T in your video? He took me on my first albacore trip got me hooked on salt water fishing back in the day !

Yep, I call him Muddy Mudskipper. You probably get why his hands are "F"ed up. Iron workers pay later in life for punking and tying iron. Gave him your number, expect a call Sir.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Yep, I call him Muddy Mudskipper. You probably get why his hands are "F"ed up. Iron workers pay later in life for punking and tying iron. Gave him your number, expect a call Sir.
    Yeah I abused my body early and and paying now but we had some crazy times , I got stories....Thanks man I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Second generation union ironworker local 416,Building the bridges and buildings that all the masses use on a daily basis, we were the guys down in the trenches busting our ass n now at 58yrs young I have arthritis in both hands have to remove my seatbelt in order to make a left or a right hand turn because my neck doesn’t move that far anymore and so on and so forth, luckily my wife convinced me to retire early before I ended up like a lot of my union brothers but we all are paying in one way or another. Pic is me in the middle at 16, me and my two neighbor buddies laid out n tied all the rebar , if I remember correctly it was 30 ton.

image.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
    Apr 22, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Grumpy
    Third generation union ironworker local 416,Building the bridges and buildings that all the masses use on a daily basis, we were the guys down in the trenches busting our ass n now at 58yrs young I have arthritis in both hands have to remove my seatbelt in order to make a left or a right hand turn because my neck doesn’t move that far anymore and so on and so forth, luckily my wife convinced me to retire early before I ended up like a lot of my union brothers but we all are paying in one way or another. Pic is me in the middle at 16, me and my two neighbor buddies laid out n tied all the rebar , if I remember correctly it was 30 ton.

View attachment 1099599
    Your shittin me. I got 23 years in local 416 brother. Started in 96 with RMD then went to Fontana. Does this picture of this T bring back memories? What year did you get out? Who did you work for?
    73BC5884-5836-4244-82FF-A61D573EB10A.jpeg

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Judson, Rebar engineers,Fontana,Century to name a few,Got my permit in 1980 with Judson steel working on Warner towars off the 101 freeway in the valley, I don’t know if the name Todd Bowen rings a bell he’s a foreman around town lately and also Greg Koenig is my brother-in-law

Last edited:
    Reactions: Steveo77
    Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
    Apr 22, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Grumpy
    Judson, Rebar engineers,Fontana,Mercuryto name a few,Got my permit in 1980 with Judson still working on Warner towars off the 101 freeway in the valley, I don’t know if the name Todd Bowen rings a bell he’s a foreman around town lately and also Greg Koenig is my brother-in-law
    I know them. Greg is a good friend of mine but we don’t talk as often as we should. Small world.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Spoke with him the other day, my dad broke him and I in a before all the rules n BS u guys have to deal with now, I got stories !

Last edited:
    Reactions: Steveo77
    Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Good times, and thanks for the video. Never caught an eel before. That thing was a good size too. I would have probably just cut the line, too scared to F with it. :-)

On a side note... the dog whining would drive me bananas. Mine does that when my wife pulls into the driveway or garage. I can't take it for more than 10 seconds.

Thanks for the report and vid.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Hey buddy, you need one of these:
    6670011108-312_1.jpg

Bill at Pacific Coast convinced me this is a good idea. Stuck this jewelry on the bow and don't know why I waited so long. No longer committed to the spot we are pinned on. Pick up the tackle and move is a breeze.

Reactions: RodRage and One_Leg
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    6670011108-312_1.jpg

Bill at Pacific Coast convinced me this is a good idea. Stuck this jewelry on the bow and don't know why I waited so long. No longer committed to the spot we are pinned on. Pick up the tackle and move is a breeze.
    Price?

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    6670011108-312_1.jpg

Mo Money towards the boat, does it end?

Amazon product

Reactions: Zika
    Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    I think I was $500 on the winch and $20 for wire. One solid weekend of reconfiguring the nose of the boat (again) and good to go. Love it.

Sit on the console and push a button to drop and raise.

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Now you need Hawaiian style outriggers, downriggers.... side scan.... just gettin' started!!!!

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I think I was $500 on the winch and $20 for wire. One solid weekend of reconfiguring the nose of the boat (again) and good to go. Love it.

Sit on the console and push a button to drop and raise.
    My next upgrade, Thanx for the tip!

Upvote 0

Latest posts