cutting some inches of the tip

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, May 22, 2014.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey guys, this might sound like a silly question..but..

I have a rod that I like a lot for light surf fishing.. its a balzer 10ft spinning rod 25gr lure..
    as you know 28gr is 1oz so, my rod lure rate is like 7/8oz, its really nice on 1/2oz lures like luckycraft and sebiles, but on mild windy days I cannot cast at all on those weight and I will need to use some on the 1oz rate or Krocs / castmaster tins, well on those cases Im above the lure rate and always with the fear of snapping the rod, so Im thinking to cut 3" or maybe 4" from the tip and make the rod 1 1/4oz or 1 1/2 oz lure rate, would that affect that munch? I really dont want a 2oz rod cuz I already have one of 8.6ft, I just want to be able to cast 1oz lures without the fear of snapping it.

any recommendation?

PS: the last quarter of the rod is really thin, I called it my XL bass rod.

2. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    I think your suppose to take it off the other end or it will dramatically change the rod

3. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Actually what you're thinking will work to some degree. You'll get some added strength from the blank for casting the heavier lure. However, everything is a compromise and you'll likely also loose distance with the lighter lures.

I don't think you're likely to break the tip by casting the heavier lures, but if you did I'd guess the break would occur at the best location to "cut" the tip anyway.

If you do decide to make a cut, I'd recommend you cut it back a little at a time and test cast it to see if it's working out as you want. Once you've cut it you can't add it back.

4. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    ok.. well Im afraid the rod snapping on too low from the tip and leaving me with a 9ft and 2oz lure rod that dont cast 3/4oz lures at all.

my fear also is that the last quarter of the rod looks almost the same thickness so, probably cutting 3" it will still be a 1oz rod but 9.8ft length.
    well I think the only way to know its trying..