Cutting Crimps

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
Years ago on a Red Rooster 16 day, picky bite, I saw a guy going stealth mode with crimps that were cut in half. I didn’t think to ask him how he cut the crimps in half. Anyone ever do this? Wouldn’t a hacksaw leave burrs that would damage line? How to you cut a crimp for 80-100 flouro in half and make the cut side smooth? Maybe I’m dreaming.

Reactions: Darrell
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Dremel then sand with a random orbital sander and at least 220 grit or higher while holding with needle nose vise grips

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Yah tie that or the crew. Lube it for the cinch, maybe even blow on it while cinching, spray water bottle, hook ring, splash water on the knot before cinching, teeth, ect. Follow the cinch with the very tip of your tongue to understand the heat and to feel the stack. The tip of the tongue is sensative.

Cinching too fast is hot and the tip of your tongue will feel it. To give scale for the future

No need for a sharp hard metalish edge. In 80-100

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Question- wouldn’t line heavy enough to be crimped not be stealthy anyway? I just started crimping last season and am still learning the finer points. And I’ve wondered about painting the crimps in a matte deep red as it refracts the least underwater (or so I’ve read).

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
Flouro transmits light,I loop my lure or hook and slip the free end through the crimp and pull out a little bit and melt the end with a lighter or torch and then pull it down to the crimp and crimp it. stops the light transmission , BLACK crimps I guess fish don't see black well or it just looks like dirt floating in the water, 200 LB floro leaders on my Capt. Jimmy's wahoo bombs, black crimps ' the wahoo don't seem to notice

Reactions: Wandering Blues
Upvote 0