Custom Rods, Built to Perform!!!

American Tackle

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 22, 2020
Last week I was the kick-off to the 2021 Major League Fishing Toyota Series Southern Division on Lake Toho in Kissimmee, FL. Working as a professional in the trade and continuing my fishing career has always been my dream, and through American Tackle I have been able to achieve just that. Not only am I privileged enough to work for a company dedicated to making the best rod components in the industry, but American Tackle truly optimizes the saying "Designed by anglers, for anglers".

After the dust settled, I scored a Top-5 finish in the tournament, a very exciting way to start the year, and even better doing so for the first time using custom rods and tackle I made myself.

JodyWhite-0194.jpg

I am still new into rod building, so each new custom I design and build I am learning along the way. From being able to mix the perfect amount of ProPaste epoxy, to finding more tricks to getting the MicroWave Guide System lined up perfectly, and recently even getting into decorative chevron thread wrapping; custom rod building has truly improved myself in the industry and on the water. But without my awesome colleagues it wouldn't have been possible.
151461716_3719821018071346_3735253386804408915_n.jpg
151570341_3719821011404680_7498759259136952477_n.jpg

Without question, knowing the experiences I started from to where I am now; American Tackle truly has a great system for helping anyone become a rod builder and providing quality components in the business to help anglers catch more fix and have better tools to do so. Fishing is like anything else, success relies heavily on the tools someone is using to get the job done. Although my first tournament of the year did not result in a win like I had hoped, a Top-5 is something I will always take and great momentum into the rest of the season.

Here is the rod recipes I used during the tournament on Lake Toho:

1.) Chatterbait Rod:
  • Bushido CB72/12-25 blank
  • G2 Carbon Handles
  • CCT Razor ULH Reel Seat
  • MicroWave Nanolite Casting Guides
2.) Texas Rigged Senko Style Rod (used an American Tackle Stick Figure during the tournament):
  • Bushido 78/10-20 blank
  • American Tackle Cork Handle & Fighting Butt
  • CCT Razor ULH Reel Seat
  • Microwave Duralite Casting Guides
152735185_3719899991396782_6057306569756013683_n.jpg

Trophies are starting to be a normal occurrence around American Tackle. A true testament to the time and dedication everyone puts in.
152838809_3719848854735229_4370462875265709742_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Darrin Heim

American Tackle Company, Vice President/Partner
May 15, 2007
Oviedo, Florida
www.americantackle.us
Name
Darrin Heim
Boat
Several
Good job Theron and thank you for sharing, learning to build rods on your own isn’t easy and that includes listening to everyone's opinion around the office….

But two top 5 finishes in a matter of months on rods you designed and built specifically for each tournament has got to be as satisfying as cashing those checks! Well probably not quite….

[email protected]

Reactions: American Tackle
Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Nice job Theron and congrats on the finish.

Im sure catching that first bass on your own built custom rod was an awesome experience. Im sure there will be many more to come this season. Keep it up!

Upvote 0

American Tackle

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 22, 2020
    Catching fish on a rod you made yourself always makes the experience better. Placing in a tournament makes it even better.

Sorry, but I'm not a bass fisherman, so I don't recognize you - who are you?
    Thank you for the reply Bill!

My name is Theron and I am originally from Grove, Oklahoma and the Grand Lake o'the Cherokees area. I started fishing like everyone else, since I could walk.

When I was 16 years old I start fishing tournaments with FLW Outdoors (now Major League Fishing). My goals from a teenager were to become a professional fisherman and a professional businessman in the industry. I have fished BFLs, Toyota Series tournaments, Bassmaster Opens, College, and the FLW Tour. Here is a quick run down of my accomplishments:
    4x BFL Regional Qualifier
    1x Toyota Series Championship Qualifier
    2015 Forrest Wood Cup Quailifer
    3x College Conference Championship Quailifer
    2x College National Championship Quailifer
    2x College Fishing All-American
    18 Top-10 finishes

Previous to working for American Tackle, I have worked for Yo-Zuri America Inc. and Cherokee Nation Entertainment.

Hopefully we can meet each other at Fred Hall real soon and become better aquatinted. I always enjoy networking in the fishing community and helping educate anglers more about the brand I am fortunate enough to be a part of. Would also enjoy just talking fishing and maybe exchange some rod building tips.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MoIsFishing

Captain Mo Fishing & Charters
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Debary
    Name
    Ancelmo
    Boat
    Sea Hunt Gamefish/ Action Craft
    Great job Theron! Way to put those those AT blanks and components to good use.
    Well, I was really only asking what your name was, as I was sure it wasn't American Tackle, but now that you've posted your resume', I want to be you!

Thanks Theron.
    I also would like to be Theron and catch some big bass in central Florida.

Upvote 0