Go ROYALS!
Feb 25, 2004
Laguna Niguel
Name
Jeff
Boat
Formerly the glorious "Two Kinds O' Pie"
** SOLD **

After more than 20 years building rods, I'm getting out. Bad eyes and old fat fingers have taken their toll and I just don't get the enjoyment out of the hobby as I used to.

I'm selling everything I've accumulated over the years - all the tools, all the spare components, the threads, the solvents, the epoxies...everything.

I'd really prefer not to ship this out and I would really like it if someone in SO CAL were to pick this up. Prefer to sell but would trade for good saltwater reels up to 40 lb range - plus some cash...

I can't list everything cause there is just too much (razor blades, dental rubber bands, brushes, scissors of every kind, thread pullers, etc...). But I can provide the highlights:

1. PacBay Rodsmith wrapper - all the original rod stands and chuck and the foot power pedal...
2. Replacement ALPS Chuck...big improvement over the original equipment
3. 8 foot standard track plus an extra 4 foot length - so you can wrap up to a 12 foot rod
4. Original PacBay rod mounts
5. Three custom made plexiglass rod mounts - created by the gentleman who invented American Tackle Acid Roller guides - he lived down the street from me and helped me with several things
6. Three spare rod mount t-handles - just in case anything were to ever break
7. Spare power and drying motors - again, just in case...
8. Drying bench...
9. Spline finder...
10. Epoxy mixer - pretty handy but I never got over the old fashioned way of mixing by hand...
11. Dozens of tools - dental instruments, files, picks, mixing cups, paint brushes, tape, thread pullers, fly tieing jig, just so many things - this stuff is all the material you will keep buying over the years trying to find the setup that works best for you - you can get it all in one stop and determine what works best for you...
12. Books and instructional dvd's -= Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemons - the Bible and a great dvd by Doc Ski...
13. Epoxies, solvents, color preservers, alcohol lamps, etc...
14. THREAD - you shouldn't need any for awhile...
14a. 100 350 yard spools - lots of hard to find Gudebrod colors mostly NCP
14b. 26 100 yard spools - triblends, electra's and a couple of cool standard colors
14c. Madeira Polyneon - 10 new spools and 9 re-spooled colors
14d. 24 other miscellaneous spools - nylons, Bullards, unmarked colors,. etc...
14e. All rolled up over 165 spools of thread - do that math at $5 per spool on average....
15. One storage tray full of shims, winding checks, leather grips etc...
16. One storage tray full of replacement guides and tip tops - mostly ALPS and FUJI's...
17. 5 lengths of black hypalon...
18. Several different colors of ATWOOD tuna cord. plus some original large spools of oil cord - the original deckhand grip material...
19. Cork tape - couple of spools worth...
20. Grip tape - couple of guys I built rods for swear by this stuff - its the scratchy stuff that creates non-skid steps - beats your hands to shit but again a couple of guys love it...
21. Several various lengths of shrink wrap...
22. Butt Wrap layout jig plus tip top sizing guide and plexi ruler...
23. 3 Turkheads knots pre-tied...
24. 8 color pigments for marbling...
25. 2 Bottles of glitter...
26. Several empty/spare thread spools - to wrap the Madeira Polyneon on - VERY helpful...
27. A set of magnifying glasses and a magnifying head lamp...
28. Various butt caps and aluminum butts...

I've probably wrapped close to 200 rods over the years on this setup and I had it set up just the way I like it. It's everything that someone who wants to get into the hobby will need and more to get started with good materials and tools. God knows what's invested....

My ask is $1,100 - again for the right Shimano reel (Saltwater) I could consider cash/trade....

Only thing I don't have is blanks - but that's what makes it fun for you!!!

So, hit me up if your interested - always willing to chat...

Thanks everyone...

Here are some photo's to give you an idea of what's included...Couldn't get pics of everything...

IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG

Last edited:

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
Where are you? San Diego or north?

Reactions: jeffzou

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
JMHO:

DON'T THROW IN THAT TOWEL!

you have too much history and mat'l to let it all go!
i'm in the same boat! i just wrap for friends and do simple stuff now.

use thicker thread and keep it simple/fun! there IS a need for people like you! you have far too much talent to just give it up!

jeffzou

Go ROYALS!
Feb 25, 2004
Laguna Niguel
Name
Jeff
Boat
Dude. That’s so kind of you. Yeah “C” and “D” threads are my good friends now! Lol

I just finished 4 new Seeker white blanks and swore those were the last ones. If it doesn’t sell then I’ll take it as an omen!

I appreciate your comments!!

jeff

JMHO:

use thicker thread and keep it simple/fun! there IS a need for people like you! you have far too much talent to just give it up!
E99136D5-4AC0-4AB2-A020-2E3F4A341740.jpeg

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    JMHO:

Ya Ya dont let the Mud Hole gang run U out of town, I have already fixed a couple of their gangs, Jobs. I dont think they had a video on how to cut a reelseat off a Pheonix with a hacksaw, and not damage the blank, and slide a new seat and Hypalon from the back, yet! any way stay put!

• Haha
    Reactions: plj46 and jeffzou

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Ya Ya dont let the Mud Hole gang run U out of town, I have already fixed a couple of their gangs, Jobs. I dont think they had a video on how to cut a reelseat off a Pheonix with a hacksaw, and not damage the blank, and slide a new seat and Hypalon from the back, yet! any way stay put!
    "Mudhole Gang" That's funny.

jeffzou

Go ROYALS!
    Feb 25, 2004
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    ** SOLD **

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments. Whole setup went to a stand up guy who I am proud to know now. Hope he wraps a hundred rods with it!

PS - BUSHMAN - man thanks for your interest in this post. You made the single most gorgeous rod I've ever seen. Back when Madeira thread was starting to become popular - you wrapped some burnt orange, pewter gray rod that was striking - I always wanted to replicate it, never came close. Post that bad boy up again if you know the rod I am talking about...

Reactions: Hana pa'a Time
    Dec 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Shane
    Boat
    Alex
    ** SOLD **

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments. Whole setup went to a stand up guy who I am proud to know now. Hope he wraps a hundred rods with it!

PS - BUSHMAN - man thanks for your interest in this post. You made the single most gorgeous rod I've ever seen. Back when Madeira thread was starting to become popular - you wrapped some burnt orange, pewter gray rod that was striking - I always wanted to replicate it, never came close. Post that bad boy up again if you know the rod I am talking about...
    I wanna see it burnt orange and grey always goes togther

The Bushman

The Bushman
    Mar 5, 2005
    El Cajon
    Name
    Ken Bush
    Boat
    everyone elses
    ** SOLD **

Jeff... sorry to see you leave the hobby. I"m not sure which rod you're talking about. It was a long time ago too!. I'm thinking it might actually be someone else's rod if it the same one I'm thinking about. Chris (I think it was Chris) who is somewhere up in Alaska mining for gold, did a super seeker with a fade from white thru greys and black in a long stretched out diamond base wrap, and matching guide wraps.
    Thats what comes to mind anyway. If it actually was one of mine, and grey and orange, then thanks. I'll check some old photos, but it doesn't ring a bell.

Best of luck in your rod building "retirement".