Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Hey Guys,
I posted this before in the Rod Building forum. Any rod builders within striking distance of the East Bay? I live in San Ramon and I am looking to have a new Jig stick built for this year. Any local recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I also need to get a guide fixed on an existing long rod. Thus the local is better. Appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
@Scold

ig dreadnought

His builds are insane. Here is one of many he did for me.

9A231523-4E0D-48BF-8D3B-687E6F2E1FC4.jpeg

43AC57C8-A8DA-4A0B-A9F1-BE2DC1054DDD.jpeg

CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
Antioch,Ca
Name
Ed
Boat
13'4" Gregor
Every aspect of his work is amazing...I especially like his style of marbling. In a perfect world where I could afford one of his rods I would have him build a CX 76 Viper for me.

Cool

CooldadE

Mar 28, 2010
Antioch,Ca
Name
Ed
Boat
13'4" Gregor
Pangamaster,
did you find or contact any rod builders yet. Just wondering what you found out. I personally reached out to a couple of UC suppliers about a 76 Viper blank or for that matter a factory rod. Demand is high and supply is low. It might be hard to find the blank you want in time to get it built to fish when you want...
on a side note I was checking Craigslist and just saw a custom Seeker Ulua 93H 9’3” rod for $350...

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Any contact info for Jake “Cowman”

thanks !
    You can look him up here on the site, he goes by “Cowman”. Send him a PM. You can see some of his work in the rod building forum as well. Don’t take up to much of his time though he’s finishing up a rod I’m very interested in

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    See reply #7 cow man

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    So I found Jon Vadney who has done past work for me and is within an hour drive. He is really good. I'm getting an Ulua (9' 3") wrapped or I would have tried Cow man. Shipping costs are prohibitive for the long rods.
    @Scold

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    So I found Jon Vadney who has done past work for me and is within an hour drive. He is really good. I'm getting an Ulua (9' 3") wrapped or I would have tried Cow man. Shipping costs are prohibitive for the long rods.
    @Scold
    Howdy! Yeah the shipping aspect of jig sticks really makes the overall cost go up. Getting them shipped to me isn’t too terrible because the rod suppliers have a deal with a courier service. I have an account with them but my costs are substantially higher than what the rod manufacturers pay (and in turn what my client has to pay) just due to the volume of business.

i appreciate the kind words from everyone in this thread. There aren’t a lot of rod builders up here but there are a few good ones. Jake is awesome (Cowman), another gentleman named Nick Lam does nice work, I do OK work, Khan Adams does nice work as well.

easiest way to get ahold of me is via Instagram where my handle is: dreadnought_rods
    Im on there more than I am on this site.

Last edited:

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    It’s an incredible honor to be even mentioned with the above mentioned Rod wrappers especially when One is what I consider one of my main/favorite mentors.. Jon (dreadnought or scold) taught me and many others tons of tricks and methods. Just look in the tutorials Jon’s responsible for a lot if not most of how to demonstration videos in there...
    Thanks guys/Jon..

Last edited: