skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
I'm posting this up for a buddy who recently took the time to re-build a Hawkins 10' surf skiff. These hulls have an interesting Santa Barbara heritage to them, designed by longtime commercial urchin diver George Hawkins, who at one point was needing a little seaworthy skiff to access his dive boat out on a mooring off Point Arena (*lots of SB divers ended up re-locating to PA either temporarily or permanently around that time...). He ended up working up this little 10' skiff, which was heavily influenced by what George Greenough was doing with his skiffs at the time. George generated some prototypes, then a mold, and eventually produced a 12' model also, but that's another story entirely.

My buddy got ahold of this hull, which had been used by one of George's buddies up in PA for a bit....then it came back to SB for a time....then the hull ended down in Joe Bark's possession in SoCal..... then my buddy bought it and brought it back to SB and worked with Anderson Custom Boats in Goleta to give this thing new life. What you see here are some photos from the 'maiden launch' day. The boat will be used for many things, as a all-things-maritime training vessel for his young daughter, a harbor putt-around skiff, and as a beach launchable surf-access vessel on the right day. It's extremely light (*350 lbs total or thereabouts...), and the trailer is modified to act as a 'beach dolly' when the boat will be launched off of remote beaches. He had a custom stainless 'grad rail' added on the caprails for an ergonomic place to hold onto the boat in the surf line, and there's tons of little details that really flesh this boat out. The Andersons NAILED THIS THING with the design, quality, and attention to detail of the build and the 'first day' was a total success.

h1a.jpg

h2a.jpg

h3a.jpg

h4a.jpg

h5a.jpg

Reactions: Nardo and 1steveT
Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
The boat's running a Yamaha 20hp longshaft four stroke, and topped out this day around 26 knots, which is darn fast in a ten foot boat. The boat may be re-propped for more hole shot, and a few other tweaks made to 'er, but the performance was mind blowing for the first day on he water, and the process of refinement will begin from here...

h6a.jpg

h7a.jpg

h12.jpg

h13.jpg

h14.jpg

Reactions: Nardo
Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
When Joe Bark had the boat, he beefed up the hull with a ton of carbon fiber cloth, and it's been strengthened from there. These boats were always designed just as simple skiffs that could be thrown into the back of any pickup truck and carried to the beach ...............but a few have been highly modified over the years and pushed almost more towards jet ski use/reality. In the end, they're just a super fun way to get out on the water and mess around...

h14.jpg

h15.jpg

h16.jpg

h17.jpg

h8.jpg

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
There's a custom stainless surfboard rack that slides in and 'clips' down into the rear of the caprail tubing..........the boards will then be mounted crosswise up slightly above the outboard motor...but the rack can be taken off when not in use. Anyway, lots more detail about this boat to be told, but I thought some of you out there might find this interesting so I thought I'd post these photos up.

h18.jpg

h19.jpg

h21.jpg

h22.jpg

h20.jpg

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
How funny, my buddy and I saw you out on Saturday in the harbor headed out as we were coming in.
That little thing is baddass, we were wondering how fast you could go with that 20 on it.
Funny thing is that my friend said to me that thing will end up on "check out my boat" on BD's
Very cool little craft.
BTW, there's was a really cool article about those little boats and others like it in The Surfers Journal about ten or so years back.
Come to think of it that boat right there may be one of 'em.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
Ah, that's funny. Yeah, no doubt you could prop this thing up so it would go 30 knots, but it's really all about just having it geared to leap up out of the hole and jump on plane, even if there's some weight on board. And yes, that article in the JOURNAL? I wrote that. This particular hull wasn't one of the ones covered, as I think it may have still been up in use at Point Arena during those years, but there are a few of them still around, though they're pretty rare to find...

a20c.jpg

a21c.jpg

a22c.jpg

a23c.jpg

04-20-2010 10;41;46PM.JPG

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
They're pretty small, specialized skiffs.................but if they're used for what they were designed for, they can work pretty well and open up some nice experiences out on the water.

h35.jpg

h36.jpg

h38.jpg

h39.jpg

h40.jpg

Upvote 0

rvrfish

Feb 17, 2004
SB ca
Visit site
Name
Matt
Boat
15', Boston Whaler,
Hi Jeff,

It was nice to meet you on Saturday (I was in the power catamaran) you said you were waiting for a friend and I wish you would have said they were launching a new boat we would have stuck around to check it out up close.

We saw the new skiff out later that day and wondered what it was. Thanks for posting the pictures and the back ground on its heritage.

Cheers,

Matt

Reactions: Kelawaiakoa
Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Such a badass little Hawkins...the guys at Anderson Boats did an amazing job on this little one. Judging from the pics the 'owner' is just as stoked as her dad on how it all came out.

Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor
Boat
Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
Skiff,

You have no idea how long I have been waiting to see a Hawkins thread!! This skiff turned out super sick! I can't wait to see this thing in person!

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
The photo of the red mold is the 12' version George Hawkins designed and built. That mold still exists, and is located on the Big Island with talks of bringing it back to Santa Barbara surfacing every once in awhile...

h10.jpg

h11.jpg

h12.jpg

h13.jpg

h14.jpg

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
Nardo, Yep, the blue and white ones are 12 footers................the blue one was Hugo's, and the white one (*still) is Peter's. The 12'rs were a wonderful addition to the line, perhaps George's finest crowning achievement with these skiffs? The red one was a 10'r and was Paul's, though it's moved on now and I haven't seen it in awhile...?"

a40.jpg

a41.jpg

a42.jpg

a43.jpg

a45.jpg

Reactions: Nardo
Upvote 0