Custom hardtop

Ibejammin2

Jun 8, 2020
Petaluma, California USA
Name
Ben
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
I am picking up a 2003 Pro Line 20 walk in a few days that has a Bimini top that needs some work, before I drop the $$ on getting all new canvas made for the frame I am toying with the idea of having a custom hardtop made. I like the idea of having a more substantial frame on top to grab on to while going around the walk. I know there are "universal" tops out there by companies like Atlantic but was thinking I could get something a bit more form fit to the boat at a shop that makes them custom. I am in the SF bay area and having trouble finding a shop that might be able to do this kind of work ... if anyone has a lead on one id really be interested. Or any other suggestions .. Otherwise, ill probably stick with new canvas for the Bimini.

I did find one company call WhoDat towers but they are up in washington state.. a bit far for me to drag the boat. But that is they type of thing i am looking for.

Any suggestions or help id appreciate it.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
When I wanted a radar arch I went through the same thing. It boiled down to towing to SoCal where there are fabricators or go with Atlantic towers. I went with Atlantic towers and have no regrets, they overbuild their stuff and it looks great.

Reactions: Ibejammin2

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
If you are handy, make your own. Couple of threads on here of guys making molds from melamine panels

Ibejammin2

Jun 8, 2020
Petaluma, California USA
Name
Ben
Boat
Boston Whaler 13
If you are handy, make your own. Couple of threads on here of guys making molds from melamine panels
I really like the idea of making one, and I am definitely handy enough to do it, its really tempting cause id get a lot more satisfaction out of it, my biggest enemy these days is the time i get to dedicate to such a project... got 2 little ankle biters at home .. ya know. Hence why this boat gets used more than it gets worked on.. if i have an afternoon to myself these days its hard to pass up some fishing over workin on the boat.

Reactions: Fishbones

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Here is a thread from a guy in ventura who had a hardtop fabbed up,he used a pickup truck bed cover and it came out pretty damn nice.You would not know what it was unless you were told and it saved him a ton of money.

Ibejammin2

Jun 8, 2020
    Petaluma, California USA
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 13
    Here is a thread from a guy in ventura who had a hardtop fabbed up,he used a pickup truck bed cover and it came out pretty damn nice.You would not know what it was unless you were told and it saved him a ton of money.
    I read through that post.. looks really good for what was used .. I like it!

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0