Mr Lingcod

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
A commercial fishermen buddy let me try these seemingly custom flopper stoppers. Wow! My 70s Searay hull rolled a little at anchor with that modified V. But just one of these things made a big difference. Two of them, off each back cleat, was a game changer!

Anyone have experience with these? Who makes them?

They're very cool to watch in action: they dive down with the forward weight but then pull straight up to provide resistance when the boat wants to roll. I wish I knew about these things years ago.

IMG_1129.jpg DSCN0548-2.jpg _DSC1866.jpg _DSC1862.jpg

Last edited:

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I haven’t seen those before. Have you tried the orange plastic ones? They work pretty good. I use them when the wife is on the boat over at Catalina. She can tell the difference when I have the deployed. Obviously, you can’t use them when fishing though.

Reactions: Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
I haven’t seen those before. Have you tried the orange plastic ones? They work pretty good. I use them when the wife is on the boat over at Catalina. She can tell the difference when I have the deployed. Obviously, you can’t use them when fishing though.
Haven't tried the orange plastic ones? I always thought they looked cheap. But I'll take your word. Major difference.

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
They are cheap, but they work. And easy to store, as they stack up.

rowdyrosco

sancho
Apr 9, 2009
PSL
Name
ross
Boat
Skipjack 20
That's not the standard application for that model, the orange plastic ones are made for anchor.

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
That's not the standard application for that model, the orange plastic ones are made for anchor.
thats what i thought, dont they drag those while underway to stabilize the vessel? i think i've seen them called birds before. at anchor we've had decent luck with 5 gallon buckets.

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
That’s a commercial salmon flopper stopper. Those are used in almost all commercial salmon trollers with outriggers.

They are normally run amidships and about a third of the way from the base of the outrigger. Good to run about 6-8’ deep or more depending on the weather.

I wouldn’t suggest running them from the stern cleat at all. If you’re gonna use them on a small sport boat i would hang them from the midship cleat and never run the boat passed 6 knots! Anything faster and you run the risk of launching it out of the water and dive bombing your deck or your head!

Another reason not to run it off the stern cleats is sucking it into your wheel on some fucked current or something.

Also good to use several feet of chain.

Reactions: Mr Lingcod

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
That’s a commercial salmon flopper stopper. Those are used in almost all commercial salmon trollers with outriggers.

They are normally run amidships and about a third of the way from the base of the outrigger. Good to run about 6-8’ deep or more depending on the weather.

I wouldn’t suggest running them from the stern cleat at all. If you’re gonna use them on a small sport boat i would hang them from the midship cleat and never run the boat passed 6 knots! Anything faster and you run the risk of launching it out of the water and dive bombing your deck or your head!

Another reason not to run it off the stern cleats is sucking it into your wheel on some fucked current or something.

Also good to use several feet of chain.
Damn. That's perfect. (I feel like whenever I post to BD there's always someone who totally has the overwhelming knowledge on whatever nitch I"m inquiring about!)

Never occurred to me to run them moving! I surf/dive/fish on calm days normally, blasting 25-32kts out to where I'm going. But the downside is that at anchor my boat will rock a bit. I'll try the mid cleats. I did notice how they looked like they would work for trolling. I get it know and have seen these on trollers. Didn't realize that what they are. Thanks

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Be VERY careful using them while moving. They will put a big strain on any "normal" attachment points you have on the boa t now.

Reactions: kindafishy

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Another note about any flopper stoppers is if you can extend them away from the boat with a boom then it will make them noticeably more effective. Note that trolling outriggers are NOT strong enough for that use.

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Another note about any flopper stoppers is if you can extend them away from the boat with a boom then it will make them noticeably more effective. Note that trolling outriggers are NOT strong enough for that use.
Good tip. I think for my personal use I'd use them for overnights. Just makes it all more enjoyable. Especially if the wind comes up for a few hours.