Start Me Up Sportfishing

surftout

May 28, 2009
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Trophy
I couldn't find a fish box just the right size for my boat so I decided to make one. I own a surfboard factory so I do have some glassing skills (30 years building boards). I used 1 1/2 thick sheet foam from Fiberglass Hawaii and edged everything with 2x2's. I hand laid the whole thing mostly with 3 layers of 6 oz. glass. Gel coat white and lots of sanding. I put surfboard leash cups everywhere for anchor points and used schedule 40 pvc for the drain plug. I used rubber matting for the bottom and my wife is going to make a custom cushion for the top with marine grade vinyl. I used aussie box latches from P.O.P. I got the stainless steel hinge from Amazon. The project took way longer than I thought and I don't think I will ever do it again. Now it's time to get out on the water and try and fill it up!! Aloha, Steve
20140424_184352_resized.jpg
20140424_184424_resized.jpg
20140424_184407_resized.jpg
20140424_184449_resized.jpg

Upvote 0

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Nice box Steve, just in time for the yellow guys. Would have come in handy the other week with your haul of mahis. Hope this weather comes down a little so we can get out again.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Steve,
You obviously have worked w/ glass in the past (30 years), if you ever want to torture yourself again, let me know, I wouldn't mind one of those beauties on the deck of the Kai'Nana.

Beautiful work,
Pat

Upvote 0

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Aloha Jimmy, it says 3 layers of 6oz cloth, so total 18oz of glass. Slick cooler, gonna make one after the boat project using the same iso foam that I used in the fish box. Probably be a layer of 1708 and a couple layers of mat??? Not sure yet. Maybe heavy layup on the bottom and some sliders. Any ideas is appreciated.

Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
18' Olympic CC, Krystana C.
Kalani thanks - I went to the ER today (for my cold) finally "bloomed" into bronchitis. Still fuzzy from the meds/intravenous, so was more into looking at pics instead of reading...My bad for not reading closer.

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
Foam sheet (2' x 8' x 1-1/2") sheet polyurethane foam is $89.65/sheet. Just called up Fiberglass Hawaii out of curiosity.

Upvote 0

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
My 4x8 sheet of 1 1/2" iso foam, $25. Double the size for way less cash. Not sure of the R rating of each but I'll post results once the box is done and being used. Just did a quick search and found a value of 9 for the 1.5" poly iso board. I wonder what the one from FH is?

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyK
Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
My 4x8 sheet of 1 1/2" iso foam, $25. Double the size for way less cash. Not sure of the R rating of each but I'll post results once the box is done and being used. Just did a quick search and found a value of 9 for the 1.5" poly iso board. I wonder what the one from FH is?
Kalani, where did you buy the foam? I know that Home Depot and Lowes sell the "blue" or "pink" board, but I think the R values are like R-4 or 5. I wonder if that would make much of a difference, since I only go out for short trips (less than 8 hrs), not "widow maker" days, LOL...

Upvote 0

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Lol. I got it at Honsador on Kauai. You can probably find it at a roofing supply outlet. It's polyisocyanurate foam. It's used to shield walls and roofs from the heat. There are some posts on the Internet about them being used to make coolers, and such. Fit the bill a lot better for me. They're pretty stiff too. I also got a 2" board that I used on the floor. Got it from a neighbor, which I'm sure has a higher rating.

Upvote 0

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
Lol. I got it at Honsador on Kauai. You can probably find it at a roofing supply outlet. It's polyisocyanurate foam. It's used to shield walls and roofs from the heat. There are some posts on the Internet about them being used to make coolers, and such. Fit the bill a lot better for me. They're pretty stiff too. I also got a 2" board that I used on the floor. Got it from a neighbor, which I'm sure has a higher rating.
Going to check with Honsador here. Mahalo!

Upvote 0