Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
After running the boat HARD for the last two seasons my keel has takin a beating.

I now need to do some fiberglass and paint work to fix the damage.
Most of the damage was caused by my trailer not being adjusted properly and that is being rectified.

I would like to have a custom stainless steel keel guard made to prevent any further damage.
I'm thinking the shop is going to at least need a roll bender to properly fold, bend and shape the guard.

Anyone have a referral for a competent shop in San Diego that can do this?

TYIA.

Upvote 0

Tim Swanson

Jackpoler
Aug 17, 2008
bonita ca.
Name
Tim Swanson
Boat
34ft Blackman KOKOPELLI
After running the boat HARD for the last two seasons my keel has takin a beating.

I now need to do some fiberglass and paint work to fix the damage.
Most of the damage was caused by my trailer not being adjusted properly and that is being rectified.

I would like to have a custom stainless steel keel guard made to prevent any further damage.
I'm thinking the shop is going to at least need a roll bender to properly fold, bend and shape the guard.

Anyone have a referral for a competent shop in San Diego that can do this?

TYIA.

Upvote 0

Tim Swanson

Jackpoler
Aug 17, 2008
bonita ca.
Name
Tim Swanson
Boat
34ft Blackman KOKOPELLI
Chingon Metal Fabrication
2720 Main Street
San Diego Ca. 92113
Really good a little pricey but does it right.

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
I am currently doing this for a navy boat at my yards, except not the full length of the keel, and don't really want to do another.
One thing to think about is how you plan on attaching this. You are either going to have to through bolt it or use fiberglass screw. Of course you'll need to 5200 as well.
Not sure the composition of the hull, probably solid glass if it is that old. If there is coring in the hull, I would think twice about drilling all those holes.
If I had to do it on mine, I would fab a nice bow plate and then run the rubber one down the keel. You could probably replace that every year for the cost of the stainless one.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
I am currently doing this for a navy boat at my yards, except not the full length of the keel, and don't really want to do another.
One thing to think about is how you plan on attaching this. You are either going to have to through bolt it or use fiberglass screw. Of course you'll need to 5200 as well.
Not sure the composition of the hull, probably solid glass if it is that old. If there is coring in the hull, I would think twice about drilling all those holes.
If I had to do it on mine, I would fab a nice bow plate and then run the rubber one down the keel. You could probably replace that every year for the cost of the stainless one.

Thanks for the input Dave.
The section of keel I'm trying to protect is About 4.5'. The hull is balsa cored so no screws or bolt's for this application.

I was planning on completely covering the guard with 5200 and using ratchet straps to set it and let it cure. Using this method will definitely require the guard to fit like a glove...

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Thanks for the input Dave.
The section of keel I'm trying to protect is About 4.5'. The hull is balsa cored so no screws or bolt's for this application.

I was planning on completely covering the guard with 5200 and using ratchet straps to set it and let it cure. Using this method will definitely require the guard to fit like a glove...

I think you are going to run into problems with only using 5200 to cure it. There is an immense amount of force acting on the hull when you are on plane that will likely flex and twist that plate on a minute scale. Over time that movement is going to work itself loose. Compound that with the wetting and drying of trailer use and as good as it is you may have issues.
It might be prudent to call 3m and ask to speak to an expert and see what they recommend. There are some much higher strength glues out there that might work better, or maybe they will say to use 5200. They may also recommend you media blast the inner surface to a certain profile to gain better surface area for adhesion.
The Willard navy boats have that shit everywhere on everything. Sometimes I need a pry at it to remove it and other places I have seen it fail. The latest being a grounding plate with two through bolts. Started seeping throught the hull in through the bolts, when I removed it, the compound peeled right off with little resistance. I attribute it to the larger surface area near the stearn where there is the most hydraulic pressure on the bottom of the boat.
I'm interested to hear the outcome of your project.

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
there is a lot force from the water on the bow and keel. I bought a SS bow guard for protection from the trailers bow stop. It came with 3m adhesive covering about 98% of the guard. I put a bead of 5200 around the edges of the guard where there was a small gap left by the 3m not coming all the way to the edges. It pop off the first trip running up hill into a head sea. I bought another and removed the 3m and 5200 the entire plate pressing it on and strapping in down so the 5200 pushed out. Cleaned the edges of excess 5200 so there is a smooth transition. So far so good. My application is higher up and the water pressure is lower and intermitted. You may be 50/50 at best on a keel that has full time pressure. Any exposed edge or a fit that is leaving high area along the keel is goin to be under constant hydraulic pressure. A perfect fit is going to be key,,,gregg

Upvote 0

Liv2 huntnFish

Trying to be the report instead of reading it!
Jan 12, 2012
Bakersfield Ca.
Name
Chasi'n Tails
Boat
2352WA Trophy
Here is another option to think about. the same stuff they Rinoline your truck bed with can be done as a keel guard. I had it done here in Bakersfield.

Here's some of the damage the boat had when I got it.
IMG_2683_zpswi91irrr.jpg
IMG_2684_zps9rfebrlk.jpg
IMG_2682_zpsfdtqgysr.jpg

this was the damage from the trailer and yrs of being run up on the beach down in Mexico.

I have a friend here in Bako that owns a bed liner company and he told me they can do a keel guard on a boat with the same material, just done a little different to be smoother.
IMG_2743_zpsy0inde0s.jpg
IMG_2745_zpslj25tqyf.jpg
IMG_2744_zpsddcwnvbv.jpg

Since having this done 3 yrs ago Ive had the boat out plenty and have not seen any wear or damage to the guard. This is a 5.5' long strip and 14" at its widest point. They followed the lines of the hull nicely could not be happier!! It cost about $150 I feel it was money well spent right now!

As a side note yes the bunks and rollers have been replaced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
If your trailer is causing the damage just fix it and possibly raise the bunks so it doesn't drag on the bottom of the keel.

Even commercial Whalers with factory S.S guards have service issues down the road a bit.

Reactions: brokeass boater
Upvote 0