Current location of Macks out of Mission Bay jetty?

Sloberdog

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2008
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
SeaPro 206 WAC F150
Going to try to locate the local BFT/YFT tomorrow or Friday out of Mission Bay. Does anyone know where and how deep the current mackerel schools are/were? I usually check around the MB jetty with the FF to start, search the nearshore for life, if no luck...get on the radio...but would rather find them quickly and get on with it. I'm sure I'm not alone....maybe we need an ongoing "Making Mackerel for Bait Report" topic.

Reactions: Ahkhuang

hardtail29

Nov 22, 2018
California
Name
Steven
Boat
none
I get all of the 6-8" greenbacks I want while in my slip (Seaforth). Sabiki w/ cat food chum or cut up frozen anchovy on the hook. 10-15 in 20 minutes. I also hear doing the same at the Quivira basin entrance near the bait dock works but got more barracuda than I wanted.

Reactions: OldDawg_NewTricks
Upvote 0

jeffkaiser

Almost A Member
Oct 14, 2005
escondido, ca
Name
Drew Ann
Boat
Grady White Adventure 208
Couldn't find them to save my ass yesterday. Chummed a lot. Probably gave up too soon but wanted to get going....on a boat ride!!!

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    I get all of the 6-8" greenbacks I want while in my slip (Seaforth). Sabiki w/ cat food chum or cut up frozen anchovy on the hook. 10-15 in 20 minutes. I also hear doing the same at the Quivira basin entrance near the bait dock works but got more barracuda than I wanted.
    I've found that they seem to like the red sabikis

Upvote 0

Sloberdog

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    SeaPro 206 WAC F150
    Anyone have any luck catching Macks for bait out of MB today? Definitely going out tomorrow morning and search for the BFT in our USA waters.

Upvote 0

Sloberdog

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    SeaPro 206 WAC F150
    08-13-21 from 8AM+, zero greenback macks located at or near the MB jetty, OB pier, La Jolla kelp , Scripps pier, and up the coast towards Del Mar. Did make two "Spanish Macks" at La Jolla kelp, but not the one's I wanted for possible Bluefin. There was nearly zero life activity at most nearshore spots all the way to Solana beach..

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    We tried the O'side buoy on Thursday - caught one. We did meter them near the bottom but they wouldn't come up.

They could be below the thermocline.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Troll a sabiki with four to six ozs of torpedo lead with open can of cat food at the ready...you'll either see them on your meter or they'll find the trolled sabiki. Have at least two rods right med that way and keep some hooked ones in the water and the chum going .turn right at the end of my jetty and head to the crystal pier...you probably won't get there before you find Mack's

Upvote 0