tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
What do you want to do and what I'd your budget?

Hard/expensive way: Go to a local rod builder and tell them what you want to do with the rod. They will select you a blank and you get a kick ass, custom rod.

Cheap/easy: Get a used Teramar, a new Shadowstalker, or a variety of other inshore rods in that range.

Easy/expensive: Get a G.loomis or Seeker inshore, etc. Higher end inshore rods.

Really depends on if this is a heavy ilastics rod or a light iron rod, etc. Is it for kelp or bay? Maybe it's your 20# bait rod?

Upvote 0

FishShimano

Nov 20, 2015
Charleston, SC
Name
Kurt Mazurek
Boat
N/A
Hello Dennis Romeo-
Like tanner.s and Mike have pointed out, we'll need some more information to give you a better answer, and even then there is probably more than one correct answer. First, what species do you plan to fish for? What techniques do you plan to use most–jigging, live bait, etc.? Do you know which type of line you plan to use–PowerPro, mono, fluorocarbon, and weight # test? Approximately how many days per year do you fish? And, do you have a budget range in mind? I know this might seem like a lot, but it's necessary in order to give you a useful answer. Thanks for your question.

Reactions: Dennis Romeo
Upvote 0

Dennis Romeo

Sep 15, 2014
Name
Dennis
Boat
Maxum
Looking to use it for irons maybe upto 5 or 6oz max , flat falls, swim baits, not sure,dorado ,yellowtail etc. I have 65 lb braid with 30lb mono.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Looking to use it for irons maybe upto 5 or 6oz max , flat falls, swim baits, not sure,dorado ,yellowtail etc. I have 65 lb braid with 30lb mono.
With that kind of weight, I'd opt for a glass rod. Maybe the equivalent of a Calstar 800m. Cousins makes some really nice glass and graphite rods that can cover that weight, not sure of the exact model but they are really nice rods.

Custom wrapped Rainshadow is my personal preference but I wrap my own so your preference may vary.

Upvote 0

Shimano Fishing Fans

Almost A Member
Dec 22, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Mike
Boat
None
@Dennis Romeo - For that application, I'd choose a Teramar 8' H (TMC80HB) or the Teramar 8'6" H (TMC86HB). I use the 9' Teramar with a Calcutta Conquest 400 which is similar-ish to a Cuardo 300, and I fish flat-falls up to 5oz. To really make it versatile, I'd change the 65# braid to 50# and go with a 8'6" MH Teramar (TMC86MHB), remove the mono, and use a 5'-25' 40# top shot of fluorocarbon. There's a fairly significant difference between swim baits and 6oz irons, so this will put you in the middle and allow you to fish both. The details of the rods I mentioned can be found here: http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac...fishing-rods/offshore/west-coast-teramar.html

Let us know what you decide!

p.s. @tanner.s has good advice again. I've heard good things about Rainshadow rods.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

BlueSashimi

Almost A Member
Aug 19, 2014
Name
D
Boat
C
I find this reel pairs up best with a MH rod. I used this reel on my st croix avid inshore 8ft heavy and med heavy rods and I like it best on the MH rod.

Upvote 0

Rude Baits

Mar 22, 2012
SD
Name
Tony
Boat
-
What do you want to do and what I'd your budget?

Hard/expensive way: Go to a local rod builder and tell them what you want to do with the rod. They will select you a blank and you get a kick ass, custom rod.

Cheap/easy: Get a used Teramar, a new Shadowstalker, or a variety of other inshore rods in that range.

Easy/expensive: Get a G.loomis or Seeker inshore, etc. Higher end inshore rods.

Really depends on if this is a heavy ilastics rod or a light iron rod, etc. Is it for kelp or bay? Maybe it's your 20# bait rod?

Solid info.

Upvote 0

Yosup

Jan 9, 2016
Pasadena
Name
Joe
Boat
None
I also got a curado 300e, i wanna use it for calico bass to yt, i wanna be able to throw live bait to jigs like shimano flat fall, i know i might be asking for alot, but im basically looking for a versatile rod. I was considering a phenix m1 inshore rod or a teramar, what rod do you guys recommend?

Upvote 0

Old Jack

Jan 28, 2015
Name
Jack Kuzma
Boat
21' NW Jet
I use my 300 on a 700mh terez. This combo throws perfect. I've used it for everything from calicos to loca tuna and Y/tail. luv it.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
What happens when you hook a bruiser yellow or tuna fishing those flat falls on paddies etc?

You slay 'em. :)

The large baitcasters have very impressive catches to their credit. Within their capacity they are very capable on Yellows and schoolie Tuna.

Upvote 0