tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
0730: The family and I launched with the masses at Sunset Aquatic. Many boats were filled to capacity, most likely due to DFWs free fishing day, some looked to be barely seaworthy, we escaped the area without much drama.

We were in search of the slime sticks and a narrow chance at a Horseshoe tail. After motoring through the eastern side of the Shoe and seeing little if any birds or marks, I made way towards the 150 area and then onto the outer rigs. Not much for our travels except a mola sighting and a few kelps with bait. The water at Eureka was blue and 70+* by 11am, this place should pop at any time.

The natives were getting restless so I made a course for the Flats. I found some structure and a pile of bass. A few passes of chum had the fish boiling off the transom and we quickly landed and released about 30 bass. Many of the fish were Calicos just shy of 14" but a fair number of legals were C&Rd including a few 20" sand bass. The fish were caught on whole fresh frozen threaded on a 3/4 oz squid head and also 5.5" BH #16 on a Kman leadhead. Fishing was fast a furious when I recieved a call from Lal (Tailman on the Ducky) with the dope on a hot cuda bite to the west of us near the anchorage.

I rallied the troops and pulled anchor. Within minutes we found the birds and put the deep diver macks in the water. The first hit was a 22" sandy quickly followed by a solid snot stick. Lal and Cory were casting for the cuda and bass and landing plenty of both. After 5 barracuda and 3 big sand bass on the troll, I put the boat on the birds again and hung 5 more on the blue/white tady 45. The fish were on the move so we had to follow the school. I would fire the iron into the breaking fish and wind until tight :)

It was super fun! Thanks Lal !!!

Nick's first barracuda!

1530: We were tired, and knowing what the 9ft jig can do to my back, I left them biting and headed for the ramp. I expected pandemonium, but it really wasn't too bad. I quicky loaded the boat and was in the driveway by 1615.

Last edited:

rodngun762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat
Sweet! thanks for the report. Nice to have a local flats report on the cuda

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Glad to see you out there Steve with the family, catching some quality fish. So cool to spend quality time with the wife and son.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Making memories there. good job.

tsurikichi

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat
10' 2 1/64"
Hi Tuner,

WTG and getting the family in on the bite to boot !! Nice goin' couldn't happen to a nicer guy !! Boy, I wonder how many fish Lal and Cory actually were instrumental in getting caught !!

Thanks for the too rare report !!

tsurikichi