Cruising to Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau in late September. Interested in shore fishing. Suggestion

Feb 29, 2004
san diego
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
between boats
I will be taking a cruise in late September. Visiting Juno Sitka and Ketchikan. I will have a whole day in each city. Looking to do some catch and release from shore. Suggestions on rivers or bays and gear plus line weight most appreciated.

crawdadguy

team greybeard
Feb 21, 2006
NO. County S.D.
Name
crawdad guy
Boat
21 seaswirl DC
go to the fish hatchery outside of Juneau..there is usually hundreds of salmon there and people use a weighted treble cuz snagging in ocean is legal...buy a cheap rod at walmart in town usually chums bur at times silvers or kings

May 17, 2019
Eagle River
Name
Joe
Boat
Salmonella
Dont use the weighted treble hook set up if your going to catch and release them. Grab some number 3 or 4 vibrex or a few pixies and you should be able to get something to bite. I am to informed on the timing of the runs down there but that might be pretty late for chums/pinks. Could be some silvers around that time though.

Reactions: liltrouble

Usctroll

Aug 21, 2017
Texas
Name
Adam
Boat
Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser 26’
That will be much too late for any pinks or chums, but there will still be silvers around. Just check the ADF&G weekly fishing report before you go to see where the fish are at that time. In general it might be too late for the channel in Juneau but they should be up in the creeks still. I’d fish them with 20 lb mono on a spinning reel or 0x topper on a floating line with a fly rod.

Also, no brown bear in Juneau so no worries there.

Feb 29, 2004
san diego
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
between boats
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the information. Not overly concerned what is biting , just want to get some fishing in. Saw Dolly Varden might be an option as well. Can travel around Juneau as needed to get some fish. Thanks for the line suggestion. Was planning on bringing a breakdown spinning rod but see now the line would have been too light. Will change to some heavier gear.

Feb 29, 2004
san diego
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
between boats
Fished Sitka and it was almost a silver salmon per cast. Used a black and gold mepps spinner with a salmon egg on the swivel. 5 fish in 30 minutes. Also caught several dolly Varden.

Fish were jumping all along the coast in Juneau. Shore fishing was hot as I didn’t see a beach were someone was fishing that didn’t have someone hooked up. Fished Juneau off a small stream fed from a glacier but not Mendenhall. Caught 4 silver salmon and what I was told was a cutthroat. All fish let go.

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Fished Sitka and it was almost a silver salmon per cast. Used a black and gold mepps spinner with a salmon egg on the swivel. 5 fish in 30 minutes. Also caught several dolly Varden.

Fish were jumping all along the coast in Juneau. Shore fishing was hot as I didn’t see a beach were someone was fishing that didn’t have someone hooked up. Fished Juneau off a small stream fed from a glacier but not Mendenhall. Caught 4 silver salmon and what I was told was a cutthroat. All fish let go.
This report makes me want to take a cruise. Wife has wanted to do an Alaska cruise but I was skeptical about fishing possibilities and didn’t want to just be stuck with cruise boat tourist traps at the dock. Thanks for sharing your experience.