Grady 265

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2009 Albin 32TE
I thought we were ready for a cruising boat, but, we are not. We need something just as big, but faster and trailerable. The Endurance is for sale in the classified section. I have done a ton of work on her this year, and put 200 hrs on her since May. She is turn key and ready to fish or cruise.
We are looking for a Kingfisher 3325, Ocean Roamer or similar with the forward cabin and head. Wife doesn’t want the head in the main upper cabin area. Not too many of that style around.
-Eric
454C2BB0-C4E5-4625-8256-4CB105183471.jpeg

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
24' Hewescraft Pacific Explorer
The head requirement is limiting, but Hewescraft 290 Adventure has a head down below and is trailerable with an oversize permit and big enough truck.

Reactions: Grady 265

Grady 265

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2009 Albin 32TE
Thanks, I've looked at those online and are the style we like and they look sharp, but I've been told to avoid Hewescraft. Not sure why..
I've got enough truck. I would like to go bigger and wider than the 290 if possible, 10.5' or 11' beam would be preferred.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
I researched this one before I went with the Farallon. Called them et cetera. It actually looks like a better deal than mine or has more included options but I couldn't figure how to make a middle of the deck bait tank work which I wanted. I wanted diesel but an outboard version could get you into a good bait tank mount. Head/shower is down below. Operating area is exposed which I think you can curtain off or I've seen pictures of these boats curtained. They're listed as 9' 3" beam. MIght not be as big as you want or a style that you'd be interested in but I think a decent boat.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
I researched this one before I went with the Farallon. Called them et cetera. It actually looks like a better deal than mine or has more included options but I couldn't figure how to make a middle of the deck bait tank work which I wanted. I wanted diesel but an outboard version could get you into a good bait tank mount. Head/shower is down below. Operating area is exposed which I think you can curtain off or I've seen pictures of these boats curtained. They're listed as 9' 3" beam. MIght not be as big as you want or a style that you'd be interested in but I think a decent boat.
I really like these. This was the other boat I wanted besides the Bertram at the time but finding them with outboards is difficult. Most have an IO.

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
May 9, 2014
Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
Boatless.....
life and priorities change. Good on ya in your search and sale. I think any number of quality aluminum builders would work to get you where you want to be. Best to you !!! jim

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I do really like that Albin, but I want to remain trailerable for now as well... I like being able to take the boat to the Columbia, Westport, Neah, Sequim, San Juan's, Gulf Island, Desolation, Vancouver Island, Lake Chelan, getting there within a day.

Good luck with sale!

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Saw that boat on FB, I feel your pain, it looks like a beautiful cruiser, but that fuel capacity-mpg-range and speed just don’t play for my offshore needs as I spend most time running for tuna. It is beautiful though and the price seems great.

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
As nice as those boats are I don’t understand why they don’t rig at least some with twins. I’m no speed demon but if I can’t do at least low 20s cruise I might as well just end it now.

Grady 265

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2009 Albin 32TE
As nice as those boats are I don’t understand why they don’t rig at least some with twins. I’m no speed demon but if I can’t do at least low 20s cruise I might as well just end it now.
Some were rigged with twin peninsular diesels and could get up to 28 knots WOT. But twice the maintenance.

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
Some were rigged with twin peninsular diesels and could get up to 28 knots WOT. But twice the maintenance.
last thing I need is two peninsular diesels ha!

but that’s interesting as I have never seen that. Must be pretty rare although cool when running.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Thanks, I've looked at those online and are the style we like and they look sharp, but I've been told to avoid Hewescraft. Not sure why..
I've got enough truck. I would like to go bigger and wider than the 290 if possible, 10.5' or 11' beam would be preferred.
If you have been told to avoid hewes you really should avoid kingfisher.

Grady 265

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2009 Albin 32TE
If you have been told to avoid hewes you really should avoid kingfisher.
From experience, or heresay?

I’ve heard of paint issues, and some people don’t like how their smaller boats are built, but the Kingfisher 3325 is a different beast. At least from what I’ve seen.

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes

I’ve heard of paint issues, and some people don’t like how their smaller boats are built, but the Kingfisher 3325 is a different beast. At least from what I’ve seen.
If pvc tubes full of concrete rattling around in the hull for ballast, hulls splitting in half and pilot houses almost falling off are deal breakers for you. Then you might not want a kingfisher.

• Haha
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
24' Hewescraft Pacific Explorer
I think Hewescraft gets a bum rap. They're not bad boats, they're just not as refined as other market offerings. They're also cheaper. You can get a new 290 Adventure for around $40-50k less than a comparable Duckworth. They spray foam in all their boats, which can be problematic, but you also won't sink, so there's that.

All this is moot because the OP wants something wider.

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
If you do a search on here on kingfisher there are some horror stories and some dude that created a website dedicated to how bad his sucked. That was the one with concrete ballast tubes. I don’t know where to find it now but I think on BD somewhere is where I saw the link to it.

• Wow

Tish

Jun 27, 2019
Shoreline WA
Name
Grant
Boat
1991 Achilles SGX-122, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless 17
If you do a search on here on kingfisher there are some horror stories and some dude that created a website dedicated to how bad his sucked. That was the one with concrete ballast tubes. I don’t know where to find it now but I think on BD somewhere is where I saw the link to it.
FYI the site that the guy put up with all of the pics etc has been taken down

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kingfisher is looked at with suspicion in part due to their use of significantly thinner hull material which their marketing division is quick to put a positive spin on as being advertised as “stressed skin”. I would call it “cut costs” or “cheaped out” but that’s why I don’t work in marketing.

second, I believe they were formerly known as harbercraft which was garbage.

3rd, this is one of the brands that likes to slam a big offshore pilot house on a mild inshore hull and call it an offshore pro or some stupid name like that.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft

I have not owned one but I have seen what they look like after several years of saltwater use. They use stainless railing through bolted with ss fasteners as well as other ss hardware that should be welded aluminum. They grind welds and fare in with bondo in prep for copious amounts of that pretty paint. End result is bubbling paint within a few years. Ever wonder why Brett Rossen’s guide boat is completely rhino lined inside and out? I have also seen some hull cracking issues. Maybe these issues are addressed with the larger boats but I would find out. I would also spend a lot of time sea trialing that hull with outboards as it is a Ocean sport copy and OS boats really benefits from weight down low in the hull the diesels provide. I have been fairly impressed with hewes newer offerings, they have definitely stepped up their game.

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)