middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
I am just surprised. I thought that here in California that there would have been a law. I don't like the idea of killing any animal without using it, but like I said I have killed a few and and only eaten one. I don't think bad of anyone that kills a rattler.

Why do you think they should be protected???

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Cool it on the personal attacks! Name calling and F bombs directed specifically at another member cannot be tolerated.

I hate snakes. They give me the creeps. I used to kill em all. I now only kill them if there is a reason. If they are posing a threat to me or someone else. This one almost ate my brother.

Attachments

• nate rattler.jpg
    nate rattler.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I only kill em if they are in an area where they are likely to encounter kids. Though I have killed a few in the past and skinned them. I figure adults going into their habitat do so knowing the risks.
    BTW if you don't like rattlers don't go into the hills with dbar! Dudes a rattler magnet...

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
    Jul 22, 2003
    Lakeside
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    I am just surprised. I thought that here in California that there would have been a law. I don't like the idea of killing any animal without using it, but like I said I have killed a few and and only eaten one. I don't think bad of anyone that kills a rattler.

There are plenty of them.
    I don't kill too many either. I don't see that many but if I'm out and they are close to camp, they are dead. They don't always let you know they are there.

Can't believe in all my years hunting with the dogs one of them hasn't been bitten. knock on wood

Upvote 0

SEA STRIKER

2530 Parker
    Jul 23, 2008
    Yorba Linda, CA. USA
    Name
    Jimmy
    Boat
    2530 Parker
    got this big bastard about 50 ft away from our camp site. it was pissed off when we came across it. we did not eat it, but i am glad we shot it.

Attachments

• HUNTING 002.jpg
      HUNTING 002.jpg
      254.3 KB · Views: 20
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    "One must learn to live in harmony with Nature. My brother the rattlesnake hunts as do I, with the eye of the predator. We are of the same spirit."

Something a wise old Indian might say.

"Don't fucking kill them, especially if you stumble across them in their natural environment, you fucking retards."

Something I say to people who kill out of ignorance.

All creatures serve a purpose in an ecosystem, man ain't supposed to understand it all, and never will.

Todd,I have never been bitten yet but ive come VERY close and one bit my dog in the leg 2 years ago and i almost lost him.He made it thanks to a good vet and a 2500.00 contribution by me,but now they all die.I bump into quite a few kickin around hunting ill kill the next one in your honor...

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    I once killed something out of ignorance and I learned my lesson... Never kill a whole bottle of Jack. :drunkbarf

Upvote 0

tangob5

Jan 13, 2008
    La Mesa
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    none
    Actually, there is a 2 per day limit on ratlesnakes in California and the method of take is up to you. I won't kill a rattlesnake unless it poses a danger to someone. That one I ran across while scouting for turkey yesterday.

Found this Southren Pacific on Torrey Pines Beach awhile back. This I did move off to a more remote area away from people.

IMG_1810 (Large).JPG

Upvote 0

srfnkill

Feb 5, 2008
    La Mesa
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    9' longboard
    With all this warm weather they should be out in full force for us all next weekend!! YIKES!!!

Upvote 0

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    A BIG RUBBER DUCK
    this time last year I was watching a nascar race and out of the corner of my eye I saw something and low and behold here was a baby rattler crawling in under the security door into the living room, well cant use a gun so closet thing was a large metal bowl from popcorn, worked good on the tile, got him or her outside and shovel time,, just remember if you cut the head off it is still dangerous, (the fangs)

Upvote 0

Vermonster

Feb 26, 2003
    Escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    I'm a Ho'.....
    this time last year I was watching a nascar race and out of the corner of my eye I saw something and low and behold here was a baby rattler crawling in under the security door into the living room, well cant use a gun so closet thing was a large metal bowl from popcorn, worked good on the tile, got him or her outside and shovel time,, just remember if you cut the head off it is still dangerous, (the fangs)

Hopefully you had already eaten the popcorn... :eek:

:D

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Not even a rattlesnake can resist the smell of popcorn.....

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Ya know.............I always figured Gary as a Porkrinds and PBR kinda guy....

Funny you mention that. Gary was here when I typed that popcorn post. We had just finished eating porkchops...I don't know if he has rinds , but, based on the fart he cut before he left barf I'm guessing he did...

Upvote 0

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    A BIG RUBBER DUCK
    Funny you mention that. Gary was here when I typed that popcorn post. We had just finished eating porkchops...I don't know if he has rinds , but, based on the fart he cut before he left barf I'm guessing he did...
    No I think that was a combination of all those chops and those burn't peanuts.. and you can bet I got home quick tooooo:eek:

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    What kinda poison are you feeding him Carl? :shake:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    What kinda poison are you feeding him Carl? :shake:
    Musta been some bad roofies....We both have the runs now...
    If I'm runnin to the terlet all night I won't oversleep for fishing tomorrow; silver lining I guess...
    Unfortunately I'm broke and have less than a quarter roll of TP....:Smoke_Emoticon:

Upvote 0

gpomplin

Oct 13, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    A BIG RUBBER DUCK
    everything is good this morning, I think I put toooooo much liquid smoke in the marinade for the chops, it will do it everytime, especially how much we ate last night.....

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    :Emoticon_Potty_TimeHow much liquid smoke did you use Gary? I usually use 1 tbs per 5-8 lbs of meat. That stuff goes a long way... all the way to the bathroom, I guess. :rofl:

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    Musta been some bad roofies....We both have the runs now...
    If I'm runnin to the terlet all night I won't oversleep for fishing tomorrow; silver lining I guess...
    Unfortunately I'm broke and have less than a quarter roll of TP....:Smoke_Emoticon:
    Did you make it out this morning? What? Where? I did some kayak fishing off of Shelter island. It was SLOW. I only caught 4 spotties, but it was better than sitting home worying aboot work and money.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0