KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
I've never developed the balls to shoot the gap. Too much large boat grained in my head. I need to follow someone through there someday....maybe. You can swing South and cut buoy 8 a bit to get out of the crap.

Following sea.....I never seem to be able to do it 100% but if you have the power, speed et cetera try to get on the back of a swell and stay there. Don't outrun the swell. Sometimes it too short between the seas/swell to be able to do this but try. Best to stay off the autopilot when crossing the bar on the way in especially if the boat wants to bow steer some. As stated before keep the tabs up, you don't want to be digging t

I watch Rhett cross it all the time. He actually crosses it in a different spot than I always have. It’s a little further to the west
Yup I know it's ok. Just a mental block for me. Once I do it it'll be standard. By larger boats I meant the 200' to 300' boats I spent my entire career on...actually 360' was the largest I've run. I still have to check myself looking at wx reports. I see 20 to 25 knot forecast and think no big deal, then catch myself...nope this is a 28' boat.

Reactions: goatram

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
  • Jul 15, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    23 Pacific
    I think he meant “Full Send - no half send” @Cwillis right?
    I believe that to be 100% accurate.

I know him as FULL SEND PAT.

1632431239012.png

1632431339682.png

1632431310828.png

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Following sea.....I never seem to be able to do it 100% but if you have the power, speed et cetera try to get on the back of a swell and stay there. Don't outrun the swell. Sometimes it too short between the seas/swell to be able to do this but try.
    Yeah....coming down 10-15' rollers is not fun, especially with wind chop on top. First try and keep as straight as possible on the descent down, if you get sideways you're in trouble. Second, keep that speed up on the descent, if it catches up to you, and you get on the high angle of the wave, your bow can plow in and bury. I would recommend all to put a suicide/brody wheel on their main wheel to help with FAST heading adjustments.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Yeah....coming down 10-15' rollers is not fun, especially with wind chop on top. First try and keep as straight as possible on the descent down, if you get sideways you're in trouble. Second, keep that speed up on the descent, if it catches up to you, and you get on the high angle of the wave, your bow can plow in and bury. I would recommend all to put a suicide/brody wheel on their main wheel to help with FAST heading adjustments.
    I doubt you have honestly seen 10-15 ft rollers. I have never seen 10-15 rollers on the grays harbor bar. I cross it round trip 100-130 times a year.

G-Spot
    G-Spot
    So true! Jack wagon who wanted to give lame input!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

RazorJack

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2013
    Hansville, WA
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    19' Arima SR
    I doubt you have honestly seen 10-15 ft rollers. I have never seen 10-15 rollers on the grays harbor bar. I cross it round trip 100-130 times a year.

Coming in yesterday, a bit out from the north tip, I had one stand up in front of me that I'd put money was 14-15'. Cool thing was it was super clean, with nothing in front of or behind it. I got behind it and rode the backside for almost 3 minutes. It was rad!

But ya, I agree. I've done a couple Westport trips and that was the biggest I've seen on the water. I hear people talk all the time about being in 15-20 footers and just chuckle. It's super easy to over estimate the size of a wave when you're looking at it, but the simple truth is that most people have never seen anything close to that big from a boat out of Westport.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Never said it was in westport......a roller is a roller....was just trying to impart my experiences to help all. It can be serious white knuckle shit. Take it or leave it, if I can help one person it's worth your BS.....

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    Thanks everyone for the comments regarding the bar crossing yesterday. I just “sent it” as recommended. There was an occasional 4-5’er that dropped out from under me, other than that it was great.
    Still more trailer problems though. Having issues getting the bow eye up to the bow roller. Thought by putting the trailer deeper would make it easier, however then the anchor catches the roller. I’m trying to avoid power loading, but don’t think I’ll be able to. Winch strap broke, winch post not strong enough and was tweaking sideways, etc, etc. I was one of those guys that took 30 minutes trying to load the boat.
    Pulled it out with about 3“ between bow roller and hull. strapped her down and said fuck it.
    Luckily, when all 6 brakes locked up at 55 mph 6 miles outa Westport the bow came up fully against the bow roller.
    Since my truck was submerged for 30 minutes trying to get the boat loaded, all of my connectors were saturated. EOH pump actuated 6 miles out and wouldn’t turn off. I came to a stop very quickly. Ended up going brakes less and without lights until I could get to that vacant mall in Aberdeen to try and unfuck it all. disconnected all connectors, dried them all out and continued home without any more issues.
    -need stronger winch post
    -thinking of Sherpa Grunter winch
    -need a lower v type of bow stop
    -probably need to replace all of my trucks trailer wiring harness

hopefully I can get this loading thing figured out and get the trailer fitted properly. I cheaped out and bought IMCs used trailer that they moved the new boats to/from Seattle with. I didn’t want to wait 4 months and pay for a new trailer. Probably a mistake on my part.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    That sounds like a mess....I passed you turning left at mccleary about 9pm....seemed pretty late for you to be headed home.

Reactions: Hot_Pursuit
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    She looked good out on the water.

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    Why not power on?
    Have a hard time controlling power. Already bent the bow roller arm and started moving the truck up the ramp. I like slow and controlled. Need to beef up the bow stop and winch arm I think, maybe not put the trailer so deep. 🤷🏼

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I had the same problem powering on initially so I started cranking it on. That created two problems I had to get a new beefier winch and then went through 3 winch posts as the welds kept breaking. I solved the winch post problem by adding a 1000lb ratchet strap, if it wears out I will replace with a beefier strap. After owning the boat a while I figured out how to fine control power by crab walking the throttle handles forward off of each other. I dock the boat, pull it on the trailer and then power it up. If I was a baller I would drive it strait on but I have hit the trailer hard a time or two. As you learned burying the trailer put your boat at the wrong angle as the back end floats putting the bow down.

F401C5D4-3934-4F8E-B312-5456023C0F6C.jpeg

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    The Sherpa winch looks really interesting. Good find.

I've always power loaded as it seems like I could get the boat more square on the trailer without too much hassle. With the Farallon I've been floating it on mainly because the transducer faring block is so close to one of the trailer bunks. Actually I notched the bunk to give a bit more space. For some reason with this particular trailer (Pacific) it floats on square so not much side to side adjustment is needed.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Why not power on?
    I hate when dudes power load. Kind of a newbie move imo. Usually it's it's guys who suck at backing down the trailer and end up 10ft from the dock in the middle of the ramp.

It erodes the ramp and fucks up the boats behind it.

As long as the water is deep enough and I have a helper to keep the stern parallel to the trailer then I can walk the boat onto the trailer and crank it up. With an OB powered boat I dont see any reason not to walk the boat onto the trailer.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I hate when dudes power load. Kind of a newbie move imo. Usually it's it's guys who suck at backing down the trailer and end up 10ft from the dock in the middle of the ramp.

As long as the water is deep enough and I have a helper to keep the stern parallel to the trailer then I can walk the boat onto the trailer and crank it up. With an OB powered boat I dont see any reason not to walk the boat onto the trailer.
    Pretty true! It’s also seems to be a macho thing… Guys think it means they’ve a stud if they power on, when usually like you said it making up for lack of ability to squarely back down a couple feet from the dock…

Many are excluded from this generalization, so don’t take offense… If I had the perfect set up where powering on seemed to work consistently I’d do it.. My 22’ jet boat without a doubt on and hooked up in 30 seconds….. 30’ Rampage crank it on..

Upvote 0

Mo

#1 OG, part time Moderator
    Apr 10, 2007
    east of the west coast...
    Name
    Mo
    Boat
    20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
    Here is some helpful info

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies

Too slow....that's why. You ramp cloggers need to give me about 15 seconds and I will be on my trailer and up to the top of the ramp before you know it.
    Drop a guy off real quick to grab the truck, back the boat out and stage out in front of the CG station so I dont clog the ramp dock for 15 minutes like most guys, as the trailer backs in I drive the boat up on the trailer, buddy is waiting at the winch, hooks strap and safety chain and up the ramp we go. 30 seconds max. Most are just standing there looking at us wondering how the hell that just happened. The guys who know how to do it right do it fast and get the fuck out of everyones way in a hurry. I've seen Patrick @Walker Inc. load his before and he knows what up...

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    Thanks everyone for the comments regarding the bar crossing yesterday. I just “sent it” as recommended. There was an occasional 4-5’er that dropped out from under me, other than that it was great.
    Still more trailer problems though. Having issues getting the bow eye up to the bow roller. Thought by putting the trailer deeper would make it easier, however then the anchor catches the roller. I’m trying to avoid power loading, but don’t think I’ll be able to. Winch strap broke, winch post not strong enough and was tweaking sideways, etc, etc. I was one of those guys that took 30 minutes trying to load the boat.
    Pulled it out with about 3“ between bow roller and hull. strapped her down and said fuck it.
    Luckily, when all 6 brakes locked up at 55 mph 6 miles outa Westport the bow came up fully against the bow roller.
    Since my truck was submerged for 30 minutes trying to get the boat loaded, all of my connectors were saturated. EOH pump actuated 6 miles out and wouldn’t turn off. I came to a stop very quickly. Ended up going brakes less and without lights until I could get to that vacant mall in Aberdeen to try and unfuck it all. disconnected all connectors, dried them all out and continued home without any more issues.
    -need stronger winch post
    -thinking of Sherpa Grunter winch
    -need a lower v type of bow stop
    -probably need to replace all of my trucks trailer wiring harness

hopefully I can get this loading thing figured out and get the trailer fitted properly. I cheaped out and bought IMCs used trailer that they moved the new boats to/from Seattle with. I didn’t want to wait 4 months and pay for a new trailer. Probably a mistake on my part.

Call Tuff tomorrow and get the order process going on a made to fit your sled trailer.

Sounds like you are very fortunate that your boat wasn’t sitting on top of your truck.

Way to insane of a boat to skimp on a trailer…

And if were me….drag her to Coulon on a slow day and practice to get it dialed.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore

Why don't you join me on a fishing trip and show me how easy it is to float my boat onto the trailer but there is one rule you cannot back my truck exhaust and wheels down into the salt to make it happen.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Whew you got lucky on the lock-up. Was curious if you had to do anything special to release pressure on the lines (If the EOH was full on shorted).

Preaching to the choir: The bow eye issue is common, especially bigger boats that carry a deeper V forward. I’m a still fighting ~1”-2” of motion at the bow stop/roller on my own trailer and boat. (new Tuff trailer a couple years ago) I get the bunks and trailer depth all dialed at my local ramp, which is super shallow/flat and then find it off at Westport (which has a decent grade). But my boat sits bow down, at static rest.

As you might have guessed already: What happens on ramp haulout is the boat will tilt/rock backwards; the stern drops (settles) onto the aft bunks/rollers and the bow will lift up slightly. This creates a little gap at the bow roller/stop.

A shallower trailer (not deeper) and power loading is the best help. (Get the front of the boat and the bow pointing up.) - Dropping the bow bunks can help as well, duh. (To the point of bow down on the trailer; but never been of fan of that.). Power load is just a quick pop, with engines tilted up to lift the bow and not blow out the ramp. (As others state)

I looked at a power winch, but that always took more time (for me solo), and hated dealing with another battery or having the truck running. (In fact have a WARN DC2500 I was going to use, a little overkill.) Just not a fan of winching heavier loads on bunks, rollers different story.

I put marks on my trailer for the different ramps (different grades really). (vs just eyeballing the bunks or truck tire distance). I load and unload my boat solo almost all of the time; yeah it takes me a few minutes.

Tuff trailer makes a stack (aluminum bracket really) the elevates the EOH components and wiring so they are out of the road grit and water.

Hot_Pursuit
    Hot_Pursuit
    I just unplugged the trailer to turn off the EOH pump. I have a stand for the EOH pump built by Pacific trailers that i installed. It was the truck side of the wiring that caused the problem. I ordered a new truck wiring harness for the trailer wiring which should help.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    Call Tuff tomorrow and get the order process going on a made to fit your sled trailer.

Sounds like you are very fortunate that your boat wasn’t sitting on top of your truck.

Way to insane of a boat to skimp on a trailer…

And if were me….drag her to Coulon on a slow day and practice to get it dialed.
    I don’t think the Loadmaster Triple axle rated for 20k would be considered skimping on a trailer. I didn’t want to wait 5 months to get one built, and I don’t have the extra 20k sitting around now. I bought the trailer that IMC used to move all of the new Roamers and Pursuits to/from Lopez island. It just needs to be fit better to my boat and water launching. I doubt this trailer has been in the water more than a dozen times, as they almost always use the travel lift.
    The winch post is made so the angle can be adjusted, which doesn’t make it very sturdy for winching. I need to get a fixed heavy duty post that is welded to the bracket, vice bolted.
    I don't like to rely on other people and I don’t have any friends, so I need to be able to load the boat single handed. Power loading makes it very difficult to load solo.

no excuses

Jun 11, 2012
    Oregon/USA
    Name
    Stan
    Boat
    sea-doo fish pro

Good luck with that, I am sitting at 3 months of waiting and they have no clue when needed parts will come in. Then I am still looking at 4-6 weeks after the parts are here. If something does not shake loose in next month or soo I will have to go elsewhere. My boat needs a trailer :(

• Sad
    Upvote 0