Crossing into Canada..how to

gmanhawaii

Mar 19, 2012
Poulsbo WA
Name
Gerrell Bradshaw
Boat
2017 Hewes 220 Ocean Pro (Noelani)
I was told by a wdfw officer and also called the fish program I told them I planned on fish Canada multiple days! I asked if the two day possession limit and 40 lbs processed worked even though they were Canadian fish I was told once you touch foot back on to Washington those fish are considered Washington fish and those same possession limits apply just stating what they told me
I also had a wdfw officer tell me in La Push that there was a 2 a day limit on canary fish, he insisted until I pulled up the emergency rule showing otherwise.

The rules regarding fish from Canada are right on the website. Personally I wouldn't take the officers word for it.

chuffman

Jun 28, 2012
camano island
Name
chad
Boat
ss minnow
I’m sorry I was wrong I called wdfw fish program turns out wdfw has no possession limits on Canadian caught salmon that was right from there rules analysts guy and gave me her number if I had any problems! There is a possession limit on Canadian caught halibut though

WRM

May 3, 2019
Burlington
Name
Warren
Boat
N/A
I noticed this too. No more 80 cm upper slot limit on kings? At least for Renfrew/Swiftsure/WCVI
Looks like they added the 80cm back to the regs today. Unfortunately I already bought the license for this weekend. I guess 4 fish is still better than 2.

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
I was told by a wdfw officer and also called the fish program I told them I planned on fish Canada multiple days! I asked if the two day possession limit and 40 lbs processed worked even though they were Canadian fish I was told once you touch foot back on to Washington those fish are considered Washington fish and those same possession limits apply just stating what they told me
Let em try to make that stick in court...

SLYDOG

Feb 11, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Name
John
Boat
2015 210 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Anytime someone brings up questions regarding the legality of fishing Canadian waters it turns into a multi page shit show of confusing information given to different people at different times. Just shows how much of a joke these regulations and their enforcement is. I mean this is a group of (for the most part) well versed fisherman, and if we can’t seem to understand the rules then who is going to be able to??

Reactions: TimeZoned

gmanhawaii

Mar 19, 2012
Poulsbo WA
Name
Gerrell Bradshaw
Boat
Anytime someone brings up questions regarding the legality of fishing Canadian waters it turns into a multi page shit show of confusing information given to different people at different times. Just shows how much of a joke these regulations and their enforcement is. I mean this is a group of (for the most part) well versed fisherman, and if we can’t seem to understand the rules then who is going to be able to??
Sad and very true. Not just fishing but hunting too, practically need to be a lawyer to interpret these rules. Then if and when you figure them out they change them via emergency rule changes.

Olyfishin

Sep 2, 2018
Olympia
Name
Dave
Boat
20' Trophy
I'm hearing Pt. Renfrew beach is fishing well... as long as you are good with releasing some 30+ lb fish and keeping 10s and 12s that are the legal ones.

The weird thing is why would they make the max size limit include hatchery fish? I get the "protect the big wild fish" idea here. I would hope if they don't lift it all, that at least they limit it to wild fish max size only.

I'm also up there first week+ of August - same as Chuffman- and do plan on hitting Canadian waters at some point.

Reactions: chuffman

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Problem solved. Just add ice...

A4A4046B-295C-4917-91FC-2B85978D4ED5.jpeg

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
Found this;

"Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-overview

gmanhawaii

Mar 19, 2012
Poulsbo WA
Name
Gerrell Bradshaw
Boat
Found this;

"Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-overview
Heard that too, but I slso heard it depends on who stops you. You may win if it had to go to court, but personally I would rather spend 5 mins on Customs app than god knows how many hours/days dealing with it if you get some dick customs agent or other authority stopping you.

Its really just too easy to report you are going and report you are coming back, like 10 mins total. Probably less time than you'd spend reading this.

PSULion

You only live once
Apr 9, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Name
Barry
Boat
Hewes, Coldwater
The CBP app is pretty creepy, wants to enable every tracking feature on your phone; I don’t trust it. I just call the customs reporting phone number. Takes all of 2 mins. They’re out of Bellingham IIRC. The same two guys usually pick up and they are both rec fisherman. They seem to ask a lot of questions about where you caught your fish then tell you they did good there as well. Lol, now I report slightly different locations.

gmanhawaii

Mar 19, 2012
Poulsbo WA
Name
Gerrell Bradshaw
Boat
The CBP app is pretty creepy, wants to enable every tracking feature on your phone; I don’t trust it. I just call the customs reporting phone number. Takes all of 2 mins. They’re out of Bellingham IIRC. The same two guys usually pick up and they are both rec fisherman. They seem to ask a lot of questions about where you caught your fish then tell you they did good there as well. Lol, now I report slightly different locations.
We called it on two different occasions, i was told both times there are two ways to report, either NEXUS or CBP app otherwise you have to report to the nearest customs office. In our case it would have been Port Angeles. They use your phones GPS location to verify where you are at the time you report. No more creepy than anything else out there. If you are worried about big brother knowing what you've been up to you're too late. If you are still worried get rid of your cell phone and your computer, your tv if its connected to the internet cause big brother can track you there.

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
The way I interpret the various sources; Buy a Canadian license and submit a Canadian Salmon trip notification to WDWF and you should (I emphasize should) be good to go. Notifiying CBP also probably wise. The ambiguous regs don't help those of us trying to be legal. I take Gmans point regarding the disposition of the CBP agent you have to deal with. If someone comes up with a definitive authority I'd surely be interested.

Bring this subject up at the cleaning tables and count the blank faces. Huh???

gmanhawaii

Mar 19, 2012
Poulsbo WA
Name
Gerrell Bradshaw
Boat
The way I interpret the various sources; Buy a Canadian license and submit a Canadian Salmon trip notification to WDWF and you should (I emphasize should) be good to go. Notifiying CBP also probably wise. The ambiguous regs don't help those of us trying to be legal. I take Gmans point regarding the disposition of the CBP agent you have to deal with. If someone comes up with a definitive authority I'd surely be interested.

Bring this subject up at the cleaning tables and count the blank faces. Huh???
Like I said in previous post, everyone needs to do whats best for them. I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Thanks Erik, but more ambiguous bullshit from WDFW. I underlined the words above in the regulations. One word says "required", and one word says "should". In another paragraph is says "is not required".

Anyone want to start a class action lawsuit on WDFW for pain and suffering?? Oh, yeah, their broke, can't even afford to put gas in their boats....unbelievable..
EJ - WDFW trip notifications are required. — The second underline of “not required” refers to filling out the WDFW “trip notification” forms. As in, you don’t need a Wash. fishing license (and Wild ID) to fill out the trip notification. The form is rather easy to do online.)

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I contacted Canada and found out what is required to fish in their waters for Salmon by boat with no landfall. No mention of wdfw pre trip report. Still not sure how wdfw thinks they can write policy for regulations to fish in another country. The onus is on them to prove you weren’t in canada and their bs pretrip trip report does not prove squat. I guess I am a rebel but tired of the hypocrisy.

Last edited: