CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
After seeing 200lb FC leader material, it would seem that crimping is the way to go, So I'm not goin to crimp over 300, whats the best way to go, it seems aluminum is the material to use, who sells the best "crimp kit"? oval crimps or figure eight?

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Don't buy a kit, buy just what you'll actually need, which is:
Tool, crimps, chaffe tubing, something to flame the end.
Oval/double, aluminum/copper, crimping tool, spring/telfon chaffe tube, all are personal preference. Just take some time and learn how to do it right at home by crimping and then testing, don't sweat it, it's easy and reliable. You want to crimp just hard enough so it doesn't slip with say 70# (you won't be pulling any harder than that will you?) of pull. Overcrimping is the biggest cause of crimp failure.

If you'll indulge me, I use a Jinkai crimper (because it's the smallest and thus prevents overcrimping), Jinkai crimps, but Momoi is fine too, just use the smallest diam you can get the line into, Teflon tubing because springs are heavy, and a ECG J300 micro torch because it works in the wind.

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
what do you think about changing line after every fish?

If you fish short topshots, less than 15 feet, it's advisable. Longer ones can be cut back a few times, but always inspect and feel your line, any abrasions, cracks etc, toss it. Even my 100-footers, after a good day of fishing, I change them all out.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Basil,

I have not had to buy sleeves for many years as I stocked up on Burns, extra long, double sleeves. Burns is no longer in business and the doubles I have seen are shorter. Any Idea who now makes the extra long ones for 80-100 pound, 100 - 130, 130 - 200, etc.??? I know Jinkai and Momoi make ovals but I am looking for the smaller, extra long, double barrels. I have enough for a while but want to stock up when I can find what I need.

Thank you

Jamie

Upvote 0

Garibaldi

Nov 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
G
Boat
50' Modutech: Reel Estate
Basil,

I have not had to buy sleeves for many years as I stocked up on Burns, extra long, double sleeves. Burns is no longer in business and the doubles I have seen are shorter. Any Idea who now makes the extra long ones for 80-100 pound, 100 - 130, 130 - 200, etc.??? I know Jinkai and Momoi make ovals but I am looking for the smaller, extra long, double barrels. I have enough for a while but want to stock up when I can find what I need.

Thank you

Jamie

I believe that the Jig Stop in Dana Point,CA may be your huckleberry:

https://www.jigstop.com/store/listproductline.php?Category=Rigging&Manufacturer=Sea Striker&ProductLine=Double Crimps

Tight lines!

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
I believe that the Jig Stop in Dana Point,CA may be your huckleberry:

https://www.jigstop.com/store/listproductline.php?Category=Rigging&Manufacturer=Sea Striker&ProductLine=Double Crimps

Tight lines!

Very Good shop but the Sea Striker line of sleeves are also shorter than I would like. The gentleman I spoke with thinks he might have some clues as to who made them for Burns. I am hoping to find out if anyone knows who manufactured the longer sleeves, especially in the 30 - 120 pound size for Burns. (This size also worked for most 130 pound lines) Somebody was manufacturing them and they were outstanding at least for me. Anybody out there know who this might have been??

Thank you for any information

Jamie

Upvote 0

ninj

ninj
Jan 18, 2006
San Diego
Name
John White
Boat
20' glasstron CC '77 sea fury
We sell those sleeves at Dana Landing in San Diego. Burns had it as a dcl for 80-130#, and a dbl for 125-150#. They are from Rosco Tackle, the l is for long. The long in those sleeves was a custom cut (we had to order 20,000 of each) Those 2 sizes will cover most of your rigging. I like the bl size for 150+ because it fits in the big seastriker swedger for a very clean swedge.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Thank you John,

I do remember something about Roscoes but my memory is so bad I thought it has something to do with Chicken and Waffles.

I will call you in the morning.

Jamie

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Fishy,

Wings, Thighs or Breasts???

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2011
Santa Monica, Ca.
Name
Tony O'Connell
Boat
Hardcore
I ordered 400 crimps ($15 per 100) from John White at Dana Landing in San Diego (not Dana Point). He was very helpful. 1 619 226-2929
Thanks to all who took the time to post on this matter your info really made a difference.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys, Ca. (818) 994-1822 Just received shipments of extra long double sleeves for crimping identical to the ones Burns brought in. Items are sold in packs of 100. Get em while they last as the prices will be better than I have heard out there. Best of luck.

Jamie

Upvote 0