Shane R

Almost A Member
Jul 30, 2020
Yucca Valley
Name
Shane Reil
Boat
Next year hopefully
This is going to be a two part question.
1st Where is a good place to buy everything I need to make leaders for flat falls. 80, 130, 200 lbs. Need everything. If someone would like to provide a list of recommendations it would be appreciated. Would like to pick up on my way to san Diego this weekend coming from palm springs area.
2nd what are the odds of deck hands or someone on the mustang being able to help me out with my first few crimps. Like I said going to make some flat fall leaders but also would like to crimp 80 100 and 130 lines.
Thanks for any help and advise.

Upvote 0

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2012
Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Eddy
Boat
Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
Hey Shane,

Option 1. you could always purchase pre rigged flat falls at the landing, or a tackle shop in San Diego.

option 2. I use the Izorline aluminum crimps. They come in a clam pack. I’d recommend the long crimps for anything above 100. The long crimps you crimp 3 times. I haven’t seen the long style crimps for 80 or 100, so instead I use 2 short crimps for those 2. Also purchase chafing springs. For 80, I use 1.3mm hi seas stainless steel springs. For 100 and up, those are usually easy to find.
When crimping make sure to use the appropriate size indent for the size of the crimp. It’s all measured in mm. Don’t over crimp, you don’t want to crush the line.

we also use a lighter to melt a mushroom on the tag end, just for extra protection.

Would be glad to give you an in person tutorial but I’m in Irvine and def not on your way.

lastly, if you bring the springs and stuff, close to 100% sure someone will help you on the boat.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
Jul 30, 2020
Yucca Valley
Name
Shane Reil
Boat
Next year hopefully
Thanks
I have some flat falls that are rigged already, from 220g to 320g. I have a few more up to 500g and some smaller ones also, that I would like to get rigged up. Trying to be over prepared.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
You can get absolutely everything you need at Anglers Choice on Rosecran’s near the landings. Personally I like to use everything from one line including tool, crimps and fluorocarbon. All my stuff is Jinkai which they have, but there are other choices and I’m sure that mixing and matching is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: d105
Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
Jul 30, 2020
Yucca Valley
Name
Shane Reil
Boat
Next year hopefully
I was looking at jinkai crimps and crimper. I could not find them on anglers choice web site. But will plan on stopping by there thanks.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    option 2. I use the Izorline aluminum crimps. They come in a clam pack. I’d recommend the long crimps for anything above 100. The long crimps you crimp 3 times. I haven’t seen the long style crimps for 80 or 100, so instead I use 2 short crimps for those 2. Also purchase chafing springs. For 80, I use 1.3mm hi seas stainless steel springs. For 100 and up, those are usually easy to find.
    When crimping make sure to use the appropriate size indent for the size of the crimp. It’s all measured in mm. Don’t over crimp, you don’t want to crush the line.

we also use a lighter to melt a mushroom on the tag end, just for extra protection.
    Hey, thank you for the infomatiom on crimping! 👍

Reactions: NoFeelings
    Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Shane, it appears your on a short overnight or 1.5 day trip.

I suggest you call Squidco or Anglers choice and see if the can put the leader on your flat falls. Then get to SD early and watch them, and ask questions. Then you can research crimp kits and watch some videos.

this way you’ll minimize crimp failure.

the crew probably could do it but on a short trip, they might not have the time.

Reactions: NoFeelings
    Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    Ya from what I have been reading and seeing looks like the fish are only a couple hours out. It's a two day but still limited on time possibly. I have some rigged just was hoping to crimp main line to leader on 80lbs plus set ups. Rig other flat falls time permitting

Upvote 0

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
    Jun 14, 2009
    Flux
    Name
    Ted
    Boat
    anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
    no need to crimp main line to your leader, a three turn surgeons works for that. Double sleeve your jig/hook and swivels...80 to 100 floro for daytime and 150+ for night(I used 300 at night and landed fish)

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    What RichG said.
    Hit an SD tackle shop and have them rig them up. Or buy one of the new Tady big game rigged flat fall style jigs if you can find them. They did a good job on those.
    Do not buy pre rigged crap from a sweatshop in China like AquaGang.
    Do not get on the boat expecting crew to rig your shit on the way out. That's their 3 hour or so window to sleep.
    Have your shit good to go when u get aboard.
    PS get to town early enough to have hours to kill before getting aboard. You probably wont be first in line at the tackle shop.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    I have a couple of the tady pre rigged. Just want to get some heavier jigs rigged if strong current or a windy day.

Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Get one of these with a treble if it's windy...

1624414991781.png

Reactions: Shane R
    Upvote 0