Crimping 100lb & 130 Single barrel or Double

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by richardblufin, Jan 5, 2017.

1. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    What

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I use black aluminum double barrel crimps for fluro but tie mono using a San Diego jam.

3. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    Get your crimps at squidco. Cheapest place in SD to buy the crimps and they'll help you out!

richardblufin likes this.
  4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I was just browsing and saw they sell a kit by Williamson. Do they sell individual bags of crimps, too? To reload?

I know several guys like the Nicopress stuff. Awesome selection of crimps at TunaFisfTackle

5. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
  6. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    I like the double barrel long copper crimps but aluminum is ok too. Amazon has a kit by Catch All Tackle. I've used these crimps and they seem to be good quality. I also use and like the Nicopress crimps and crimpers. Very nice quality tool but works best with their specific crimps which I find don't always fit various lines the best. The other crimper I have is the Braid HD crimper model 32912. This is a ratcheting crimper and pretty foolproof. You just pick the right size slot out of six for the crimp you are using and the ratchet prevents you from overcrimping. Basil at BHP Tackle and Tackledirect have these crimpers for about $95. Getting the right tools and components to crimp isn't necessarily cheap but if I were to do it over again I'd get the Catch All kit and the Braid Crimpers. That would let you crimp anything from 80-250 or 300. No matter which way you go, test your finished products so you know you are doing it right and have confidence in it.
    Braid HD crimpers.JPG

Link for crimp kit:
    in

Tony O'Connell and richardblufin like this.
  7. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    And throw a BIC lighter into the kit as well.

Fishybuzz, richardblufin and dh515 like this.
  8. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    mogambosquid and Steve K like this.
  9. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    Yes they do. I don't remember the manufacturer of them though.

10. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Yo Richard,

Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys sells the double barrel sleeves in 100 packs.. All sizes up to, I believe, 400# sleeves at very fair prices. I also use the Braid Crimp Ratchet type squeezer and find it very easy to use but there will be some in-between sizes of sleeves where the angler will need to use the quick release pin on the device to obtain a proper result. In this case the tool is used like a non-ratchet squeezer where the angler must have a feel for the task at hand. I have been using my ratcheting tools for about 13 years and they still work great as I do apply Corrosion X to them after each trip. I have also used the 2 Nicopress tools and sleeves that Basil sells and find those to be fantastic pieces of equipment with the big swage tool being not quite as easy to use as the Braid Ratcheting type gear but produces a fantastic and easily repeatable result. I believe this is due to the accuracy and quality control of the diameters of the sleeves Basil sells. Single wall or double wall, It takes very little time to learn how to properly use any of these devices. If time is not of the essence go with the Nicopress gear from Basil. For quick, on the fly usage, the Ratcheting device is great. As a note: Always test out each lot of sleeves you purchase with a pull test before crimping of actual usage gear. Just like with knots, the more the angler becomes comfortable with the consistent results of their techniques the less mental stress the angler will have.. Nothing worse then wondering about the quality of the connection you have at the terminal end of the line while fighting a big fish. Also, be aware, corrosion or mis-alignment of the tool, can cause the results to change.

Best of luck

Jamie

finishright likes this.
  11. mogambosquid

mogambosquid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    This is good dope, get a Jinkai SC-3 crimper.

I personally tie 130# and under

Properly done crimps are really strong, but the margin for error is small.

The most important thing is to be able to make a consistent, repeatable, quality connection with either tying or crimping. Practice and pull hard on your connections before you get on the boat.

Steve K likes this.
  12. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    X2

13. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Single aluminum sleeves test better than double copper sleeves. The compression of the thicker walled aluminum sleeve spreads the load over the line in the sleeve more efficiently making a better connection.

On a typical long range trip you will need LI, SG, G crimps for most mono you are using (100, 130, and 200).

For smaller diameter lines (60 and 80) the double copper crimps in 1.0mm work very well. But beware of over crimping with these sleeves. Testing done has shown that over crimping is worse than under crimping.

The Sanyo tool marketed by Jinkai as the SC3C is the best hand tool we have tested. It produces consistent results with more frequency than any other hand tool.

Be careful not to make the loop around the eye of the hook or swivel tight. When you crimp the sleeve the sleeve will elongate.

The elongation has to go somewhere.Leaving the mono tight around the eye of the hook places tremendous strain on the mono. Creating the dreaded crotch break.

Properly crimped lines will always out test perfect knots. Most improperly crimped connections will out test knots as well.

Improper crimped connections have no strength and fail quickly.

14. tunachris

tunachris Member

Name:
    Chris Lomax
    Boat:
    none
    I use a swagger to crimp. Only carry 2 sizes, 130/150, and 200. For 100 flourocarbon I tie a SD jam.