Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Go ahead and shoot me. I know practice, practice, practice...but in my case I dont have a lot of time to practice. I've been out in the GOM many a time...but i've never really had a reason to tie knots above 60#. I am on a 10 day trip this year on the Excel late Sept-Oct. I plan on crimping all my knots 80# and above. I'm looking at the Sato crimping set. They have a pro kit and starter kit. What do you guys/gals think of the Sato system?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Uh oh, there goes the wallet. ;) I like my Sato crimps, but there are so many other options. Strongly suggest that you call the Excel office and ask how much help you can get on board from the crew with this and your other questions. Hook sizes and quantities can be determined later, based on bait conditions closer to the dates of your trip. As far as the wire, that's overkill for sure. Curious about your wanting to start making your own Wahoo gear?

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thanks Steve. As far as the wahoo gear, i'm only going to make up 4 or 5. I'm going to purchase what is recommended. If i catch something on a home made lure, i can say i made it myself.

Reactions: Bondrvr

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Sato crimps are about all I use except local fishing. Just make sure the crimp is very snug as you slide it down.
In other words, just because it says 80# crimp doesn't mean it fits the 80# leader you are using- might be a 60# crimp fits better.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I now just use a Tony Pena knot for 80# and over and call it good, under 80# I use a improved albright…..

Jesus arguably one of the best Long Range crew members in the business converted me last year…….

That being said many people use the Sato system with great results….as SteveK stated many excellent ways to make your connection.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
My buddy and I are going on a Cow trip together next year and he is new to it. He is also making excuses about how busy he is and is not practicing his leaders (after explaining the three main types: Loop to Loop-In-Line Splice-Sato). Sato is the most expensive, but its probably the easiest to make leaders. If you don't have time to practice, buy them from the crew and make sure you have a lot of rigs ready. I got three cows my last trip and we were cutting off anything smaller than 120-150lbs. It was awesome fishing, and because of that, I went through a lot of leaders because of sharks and inevitable tangles. Now, yours is a 10 day (vice my 15), so maybe the cow fishing may or may not be good (hope its great though).

If you don't have the rigs made and ready to go, murphy's law will probably come into play: i.e. the big-uns are foaming under the boat and there is no one to help you cause they're fishing and the deckhands are too busy helping others who are hooked up. Suffer the consequences at your own peril. That's what I'm telling my buddy...and he still isn't listening to me.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Ok. So please tell me and educate me on what type(s) of leaders to make. Length, mono or floro, type of hook.

bigfishsato

bigfishsato
Oct 10, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
Garry
Boat
None
Go ahead and shoot me. I know practice, practice, practice...but in my case I dont have a lot of time to practice. I've been out in the GOM many a time...but i've never really had a reason to tie knots above 60#. I am on a 10 day trip this year on the Excel late Sept-Oct. I plan on crimping all my knots 80# and above.
Go ahead and shoot me. I know practice, practice, practice...but in my case I dont have a lot of time to practice. I've been out in the GOM many a time...but i've never really had a reason to tie knots above 60#. I am on a 10 day trip this year on the Excel late Sept-Oct. I plan on crimping all my knots 80# and above. I'm looking at the Sato crimping set. They have a pro kit and starter kit. What do you guys/gals think of the Sato system?
Call me and I will answer whatever questions you might have, after that use whatever method that strikes your fancy.
Garry Sato 213 369-3373

Reactions: Sactotuna

Jay-Hook

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2013
Los Gatos
Name
Jay
Boat
None
On a 10 day you will drive for a couple of days. The crew can make some leaders; the passengers can help with top shots.

Leaders are needed for the kite. You need a double trouble to fish the double sardine rig. It will be in the air with just the bait in the water so go big, the fish can't see it. I use 200# floro, some people use 250 or even 300. You may also need leaders for big kite baits. Just wait to see what bigger kite baits you are fishing and then get leaders from the crew. Know your rotation and ask prior to going up so you will be ready. You don't want to skip a kite rotation. Bring floro, crimps, swivels and chafing gear( springs) in the right size or get them from the crew.

Leaders might be needed for live bait. I make up 3-4 for 100# and 200# using floro and then crimp them to a short mono top shot. Sometimes like at night, in the grey or when fishing is hot I use leaders. It can help reduce abrasion. At other times I go with a straight tie (or crimp). There is far less "stuff in the water".

For top shots Sato is fast and can be less dependent on technique. The key thing to remember about big tuna is that often there are big sharks. Your top shots can get chewed up. I bring 2 heavy rigs (50W with 200# topshots), 2 live bait 130# setups (50N with 130 or 100# topshots) and a stealth 100#. If a rig gets chewed up then I go to the backup and retie at night.

I use Sato and can build one from scratch at night. For new anglers I recommend loop-to-loop. Buy some store bought top shots either as your primary system or if you get chewed up. The crew or passengers can help you swap them out in a couple of minutes. The only downside is the $20 cost; but saving $20 on the one early morning bite when the cows come in isn't worth it. On a 10 day I always carry a few heavy topshots.

For leaders I use 2.5 -3 feet of floro and the right hook. For topshots I like 30 feet of 100, 130 or 200 # mono. I use Eagle Claw 9/0 as my primary kite bait hook and Mustad 7/0 for straight tie.
upload_2014-4-21_15-12-44.png

Last edited:

maxsdad

Short, fat, bald, toothless, no-ass old fart.
Feb 20, 2014
Palm Springs, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
SS Exgotit
Ok. So please tell me and educate me on what type(s) of leaders to make. Length, mono or floro, type of hook.
If you can't get hold of Gary Sato, I found a fishing site with several (6) downloadable PDF's on crimping (process, connectors, pliers, flouro-to-hollow). Sato's instructions are straight forward, with pictures that even someone like me can follow (my knots SUCK!). I don't know if the site is an advertiser, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and not post the name or link. But drop me a line and I'll point you in the right direction.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Go here and check out all your need to know about Sato Crimps. http://satocrimpandwinder.com/procrimpkit.htm

Feel free to get in touch with Garry Sato, as I did years ago, and he will help you with your buying decision. Call him, email him or try sending him a PM. He will even go so far as to design a crimp kit especially for you with the crimps you need that are relevant to your trip. Although, the Starter Kit that Fisherman's Landing Tackle Shop sells is on the $

http://saltwatertackle.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SW&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Satostarter

As for this? "leaders (after explaining the three main types: Loop to Loop-In-Line Splice-Sato). Sato is the most expensive, but its probably the easiest to make leaders." A leader or topshot can be directly connected to the spectra on your reel with a knot (see fishy and Tony Pena) or a number of securing methods if you're inserting the leader material into your hollow spectra. Serve, knots, like the nail knot, half hitches, or Sato crimps. There are a couple of methods of connecting your pre-made topshots to the spectra on your reel, assuming you're using hollow spectra. One is with the loop to loop method, which requires a loop in the spectra on your reel as well as on your topshot, or the method I prefer, the inline splice.

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
I don't even pre make topshots anymore with the sato crimps. cut your mono/floro to desired lengths , shape one end into a long smooth taper and store them in a worm binder type tackle bag. I put my crimps on a doubled up pull wire and store them in a little plano box. when it's time to change out a leader simply pull 2 crimps up spectra, insert leader and crimp and glue. by storing crimps on the pull wires you're not fumbling with them. pre tapering the ends of line saves time and not having all that doubled up spectra for loops saves wear and tear on the bait and adds some stealth to the system.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I am a fan of the Sato crimping system...

mostly cause it is easy. I have lots of other stuff to occupy my pea-brain.....I make up the Loop to Loop topshots ahead of time......its just one less thing to have to think about. I set the drag correctly and have all the pulling confidence in the world that the connection will not fail.

.....my $.02

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
For 10 day trips, I used the Worm or Bob Sands (aka Pena knot) knots for connections up to 100lb. Never saw the need for Sato crimps since you'll be fishing mostly 40-50lb. I use the Sato crimp system for 100 and 130lb but only when I started fishing longer trips and targeting 100lb+ tuna. I bought the starter system and added in Daho needles, a cheap lighter, and spectra glue. As Wahoodad mentioned you will need to make sure you have the right size crimps since line diameter varies depending on brand of line.

bigfishsato

bigfishsato
Oct 10, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
Garry
Boat
None
Call me and I will answer any and all questions you might have in regard to the crimps, kits, techniques, etc.
There are a number ways to connect the spectra to mono/fluoro out there. After trying and mastering them all, I believe
that the crimping system is the fastest, easiest, time tested method on the market. If you want to build your own top shots or do the connections yourself you should take a minute and check it out. No obligations.
If you want to buy pre-made, call Basil Papas. he's the best custom shop out there.
Garry
213 369-3373

mischief1

Jun 30, 2008
Canyon Country CA
Name
Dennis
Boat
24 Skipjack "Catchit"
I use the Sato system works good for me. You will also need some of the Daho needle's (100 & 130) really helps to thread the flouro into the hallow spectra. Or get a loop latch needle to make a loop in your hallow spectra and buy pre made top shoots from Basel for loop to loop.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Everyone posted great info, all work. Garry is famous for talking anglers through his system, best to talk to the man himself.

My personal thoughts:

In-line splice (time consuming and the most difficult to make, but results in no knot in the leader).

80lb, 100lb, 130lb. Since it is a 10 day, I imagine 80lb and 100lb are the primary lines.

Flouro only.

Length: Ive done them from 8 feet to 15 feet. Personal preference.

Hook: I would not tie one on until you get to the boat and see how the bait situation is and what the strategy for the trip is. I Reccomend the Mustad Demon 3X or 4X circle hooks. I got tuna to 185 on it (that particular one whopped my ass) and the hook performed superbly.

Reactions: screamingreel

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Garry, I will try to call you back either this morning, Wed or Thurs morning. I will be tied up both afternoons. Sorry I didnt get your message yesterday via this web site. I was tied up with some engineers.
Tex.

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I too use the crimps without failure..

For 100# and up, there is no need for a needle. It is much easier and faster to simply use a nail file to smooth out the end of the topshot into a bullet shape, and then thread that into your hollow spectra.

Tight lines,

Jeff

Reactions: Sactotuna

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
done with the needles .... nail file and thread...done deal

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
When I crimped sometimes when I tried to slide the crimp close to the end of the spectra the crimp fell off. Found a remedy for that. When the spectra is on the hollow needle, burn the frizz end of the spectra with a lighter. This will make a nice stop for the crimp.