Crickets

SalishFish

Dec 14, 2013
Anacortes - Dewey
Name
Doug
Boat
22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
WOW!....I don’t believe I have seen so few posts regarding summer albis since joining BD. We are just home after being gone for a few months and, as usual, deciding whether to tow the boat to WP for a shot at the long fins. Last year we made one longgg trip (for us) beating out and in for a decent day of fishing and an inaugural canning event. If we do go I will repack the wheels just to be sure thanx to Rod’s and other’s reminders.

We may just burn some fuel in A7 knowing there are no fish here...or is there more to the story? PM’s seertainly welcome:-)

Thx

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
If you don't go you don't know...…..

Reactions: Waterdog247

Fowlplay

May 20, 2009
Longview, WA
Name
Mitchell
Boat
Parker 2520 XLD"Bucket List"/20ft super vee
The fish are out there it has just not been consistent till the last week. There is a warm bubble sitting from the 46°30 south past the corners. The fish have been cycling in and out Day by Day from the 125°00 out to about the 125°27. The birds should up pretty heavy on the outside and I see making searching a lot easier. I have not been out on the good day yet keep missing it by a day. Just have to be out there fishing on the day they’ve want to play. I am a ilwaco boat and the bait situation is the only thing that has kept us in on the days we can fish. They are out there and willing to play right now but who knows what tomorrow will be like.

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Been out a couple times, 6 the first one the second, looking at next Saturday, always running sw:)

Last edited:

Fowlplay

May 20, 2009
Longview, WA
Name
Mitchell
Boat
Are you saying that....the decision to go tuna fishing is dependent on availability of live bait?

Yes I prefer to have bait. I am setup to run 9 handlines if I want to troll. My preferred method is livebait especially if we can get them going and get the heavy gear working. I don’t mind pulling blue cord but it is only fun for a few trips. We have been trucking bait into ilwaco with so so success it’s a two day project.

Reactions: FVSerenity

Fowlplay

May 20, 2009
Longview, WA
Name
Mitchell
Boat
I've been twice this year. 70 miles out is too far for me to run a 3rd time. I shared all the info I had. Appears this forum is moving to the Area 7 model of
That's unfortunate.[/QUOTE

I think the lack of sharing info is coming from the lack of consistency catching it’s good for a few days then it dies. The only thing you are really reporting is false hope on a location. The fish have been on the move. Pretty much the only boats fishing now are commercials or charters do to conditions.

Last edited:

SalishFish

Dec 14, 2013
Anacortes - Dewey
Name
Doug
Boat
22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
The fish are out there it has just not been consistent till the last week. There is a warm bubble sitting from the 46°30 south past the corners. The fish have been cycling in and out Day by Day from the 125°00 out to about the 125°27. The birds should up pretty heavy on the outside and I see making searching a lot easier. I have not been out on the good day yet keep missing it by a day. Just have to be out there fishing on the day they’ve want to play. I am a ilwaco boat and the bait situation is the only thing that has kept us in on the days we can fish. They are out there and willing to play right now but who knows what tomorrow will be like.
~45 miles

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
I agree with @Fowlplay that the lack of reports are likely due to the inconsistent fishing. BD is a brag board and when you go out and get blanked or only a few, it's hard to brag.
Instead of relying on reports of where the fish were, why not look at the charts, temp, chloro and try to predict where the fish are. A week ago Saturday was the first time I ran this year. Charters and other sporties all made the long run SW to where they had been scratching out fish through the week. I decided I didn't want to do that so I looked at the temp and chloro, consulted with a couple of smart guys and made a plan to go somewhere else. It worked out and we caught a bunch of fish both on the troll and bait, newbie crew lost almost as many as we boated and the best part was we didn't see another boat all day until we called Vance in.

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Yes I prefer to have bait. I am setup to run 9 handlines if I want to troll. My preferred method is livebait especially if we can get them going and get the heavy gear working. I don’t mind pulling blue cord but it is only fun for a few trips. We have been trucking bait into ilwaco with so so success it’s a two day project.

You might want to think about a slightly alternate technique: using the frozen "IQF" dead anchovies...both for chum and hook bait. We do real well this way, down on the Oregon coast where we have no live bait supply.

Combine the dead bait with iron jigs (I personally prefer Megabaits to others) and you can have the same results as your live bait.....sometimes even better ( which I know sounds impossible, but it's true in a particular situation).

If you send me a PM with your email, I'd be happy to send you my notes on dead hair fishing.

Mark

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
I agree with @Fowlplay that the lack of reports are likely due to the inconsistent fishing. BD is a brag board and when you go out and get blanked or only a few, it's hard to brag.
Instead of relying on reports of where the fish were, why not look at the charts, temp, chloro and try to predict where the fish are. A week ago Saturday was the first time I ran this year. Charters and other sporties all made the long run SW to where they had been scratching out fish through the week. I decided I didn't want to do that so I looked at the temp and chloro, consulted with a couple of smart guys and made a plan to go somewhere else. It worked out and we caught a bunch of fish both on the troll and bait, newbie crew lost almost as many as we boated and the best part was we didn't see another boat all day until we called Vance in.

So spill! I use the fishing reports to do just that, figure out where they went and look at the temps and cloro to educate myself and refine my spot picking skills:)

I’m going out Saturday and score or not I post:)

Peace out:)

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore

Would you have posted this if you got skunked? I have gone my own direction and been skunked, got numbers and been skunked(both were trips from last year). Can't say I liked one over the other but I do always prefer hearing where they were the day before and I never mind sharing.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
Would you have posted this if you got skunked? I have gone my own direction and been skunked, got numbers and been skunked(both were trips from last year). Can't say I liked one over the other but I do always prefer hearing where they were the day before and I never mind sharing.
Hard to say. I've had both good and bad days with the fleet and away from them before but I've had more success staying away from the crowds. I do believe that many of us rely too much on reports. I also believe that too many boats trolling the same area makes the fish harder to catch. My main point is that there are fish all over out there and you have a better chance catching numbers when no one else is trolling circles around you.

ledbed6b

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
What Steve is trying to say is if you can get the only good looking girl away from all her fat friends you have a better chance of getting laid.

Actually I think he's saying if there are 30 guys chasing the hot chick it may be best to get after one of the fat friends all by herself away from the crowd to get some.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
Actually I think he's saying if there are 30 guys chasing the hot chick it may be best to get after one of the fat friends all by herself away from the crowd to get some.
More cushion for the pushin...