Crew Members Fishing

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by pmurphy, Jul 6, 2019.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    The OP neither asked for nor received any refund.

He tipped slightly over 20%, commended the crew to Roy in doing so, apologized to Roy after the trip for getting upset, and sought out Monica to specifically commend one of the crew.

Where's your integrity, Kyle?

Artois likes this.
  2. COSDoug

COSDoug Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Hobie Kayak
    I don't know the dynamics of a large sportfishing boat, but I can, without a doubt, tell someone how a small private boat works. I fished my own 20 footer out of San Diego for 14 years straight. Whenever we hooked a troll fish...albacore or Yellowfin, the first one got put in a rod holder and left alone, medium drag. We would chum chunks, fish bait, throw jigs, get what we could and when we were all done....the first fish hooked on the troll would be brought in. No question, having one hooked, swimming around, helped keep the school from leaving so quickly.

Bill W likes this.
  3. Kuech

Kuech Newbie

Name:
    Kyle Kuechel
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Just tell the whole story is all I'm saying. Looked a little one sided in the first post. The crew wasn't muscling you around nor jumping in front of us. They did a great job. No need to run those guys down for busting their butts and doing their best to keep us in the fish given the conditions.

hilltop, Bill W and norcaltunaclub like this.
  4. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
  5. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Kyle: You fail to mention this rather one-sided post!

6. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Kyle - glad you stepped forward to explain the other side of the story from somebody that was there. How you explained how Roy and Crew works couldn't be more spot on. They're professionals and know what it takes to keep a school around the boat. They're always about HNH....always. I have never seen a single crew member on the RP hook a fish and not pass it off.

Now about the comments from the OP, we all know it's hard to please everyone or maybe he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed when he wrote his post. It sure sounds like there were a lot of smiles and good times...especially when everyone caught a lot of fish and had plenty to take home. Remember it's a vacation...not a contest.

I'll finish with this quote from Coach Tom Landry -

"A Coach is someone who tells you what you don't want to hear, who has you see what you don't want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be."

Now let that sink in....... because Captain Roy Rose is a legendary Coach in this business.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  7. Mike Nall

Mike Nall Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boomer
    Boat:
    Any one that floats.

Actually, it is. Last week, for instance, we had an Angler who was “Mute” he had little to no hearing and could not talk, he always used sign language to communicate. I know for a fact that this guy “loved” the fact that the crew was able to help in any fashion possible, including handing off fish. I personally hooked two Yellowtail on the surface iron and let him battle on a 90j, deckhand style.

We have elderly people, children and women on trips quite frequently and I know for a fact, without deckhands help, they wouldn’t have the memorable trips they received.

8. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    I guess I should had stopped fishing so you had a better chance.

Like I said when you told me you booked. Very poor choice of yours LOL tourist fishing and that's what we got. Fam got better tours

Should had asked me before you booked.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    This is why the OP (me) never criticized anyone for hooking and handing, and why I said I love to see the hook and hand.

10. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Kyle wrote:
    "I like how OP failed to mention his refund he got at the end of the trip."

You got a lot of likes for that post, Kyle. My wife wants to know how much money I got and where it went to. I'm sure all the guys who liked it would like to know, also.

I guess Tom Landry would say this is one of those things that you don't want to hear and don't want to see.

11. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Or a timely hand-off from a good friend!!

- Jeff Burroughs

12. Kuech

Kuech Newbie

Name:
    Kyle Kuechel
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris

You care about the likes on a post? All I know is what I heard at the top of the dock. Like I said, I overheard it. I don't know how much or what for (deposit for next trip maybe?) in an effort to keep your business possibly? Anyway man, it was a good trip and it was nice to fish with you. I don't think that the time we had on the boat warranted a post running down the crew. You did compliment their hard work. Great. We fished bluefin for a day and a half and your post makes it seem like deckhands were bogarting the rails. If they can take an 11 foot rod and get hooked up, pass it, and keep a school around I think it's totally fine. Especially since people on the bow gave you multiple opportunities to throw out before them. Your initial post doesn't describe what happened on the boat and that is the only reason I chimed in. Good luck on the water dude.

norcaltunaclub and pmurphy like this.
  13. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    I think we here on these boards could argue the value of a quarter for days.

tunacraze, Artois, FishRock and 5 others like this.
  14. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Is that why they pay extra?

You say you know as a fact
    when you actually know
    it's just your personal opinion.

Anyway, for better treatment, be an old baby girl?

I'm not there to subsidize some one else's experience.

My left hand has major extensor tendon damage.
    Left knee is destroyed.

One big fish wrecks me.

Do I get to hook and hand to a deckie to reel in for me
    then toss another bait to hook and hand and then another?
    Have three fish going at once?

That would be great service. For me.
    Everyone else? Less so.

15. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    BFT is tough fishing. Last time out, if you could cast way out there to the foamer. You might get bit. Might. The schools would sink out so fast and even when they didn't they wanted nothing to do with the colt sniper or bait.

Whatever it takes to get fish for people to take home.

$norkle likes this.
  16. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Dynamite? :D

17. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    You know, after a day of not catching. I would have used dynamite if I had it. A totally different trip from the beginning of June. June they bit the colt sniper and bait. This trip, it was tough...

18. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Hey Now!!

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    Never-prefer to leave the hard work to the professionals!
    I started reading and thought this was a 1980's wide open albacore thread, where one person was pissed because a deadhead was fishing.

This is posted in the Long Range forum, generally referring to 5 days and longer trips. Given the hours put in by the deckhands on 5 days and longer trips, acting as a diesel mechanic, plumber, bartender, night watchman, counselor, and friend, I have ZERO problem with the deck getting some hook-and-hands for the less experienced angler.

I, just like all of the rest of you readers, was instantly expert at long range fishing. I don't need the deck's help, and resent that the deckhands are wasting their time on helping the new paying customers to this sport, which is rapidly dying. I never learned anything from their techniques (they are on the water every single day and know what is working) and I certainly never needed their help with a fish, except, of course, gaffing that massive cow that I hooked and landed all by myself.

No need to bring the Pacifica into the thread....apples vs. oranges.

19. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I can see both sides of this and think it really depends on the anglers onboard a specific LR trip.

On an 8-day trip where BFT or YFT are in the mix I typically take 4-6 designated "casting" outfits that are setup specifically for different artificials (jigs, plugs and a popper if needed). I believe that I have better equipment and can cast better than 90% of the deckhands I've ever fished with over the past 40 years (been doing it a long time so I have a very "educated thumb", lots of practice and a perfected casting technique and the best conventional casting equipment available)… so for me (the paying customer) I want to cast before the deckhand (the paid service provider) does. Like many here who have been doing this for a while, I prefer to not take a handoff... and I generally am the guy who is handing off to those anglers not as experienced or perhaps who just simply don't have the right equipment for the application at hand, but are ready, willing and able to take over a hooked fish if given the opportunity.

And when I do decide to land a hooked fish, I prefer that the deckhand (the paid service provider) not fight my fish for me or handle my outfit other than going around the anchor davit or handing it through a created loop in a major line tangle.

With that said there was a time in the beginning when I listened too and watched deckhands and captains and experienced anglers very closely, and I learned a lot from them (like everything in life, some are better than others and some are just better teachers as well)... so I truly do appreciate their knowledge and experience and I always encourage other anglers not as advanced to ask them questions and ask them to show you specific techniques you want to learn and "pick their brain"... and then decide what gear, terminal and techniques work best for YOU!... and if YOU want to be the first to long cast into a school of sinking out BFT. ;)

G

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  20. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    To add to that a little, oftentimes when the first fish is hooked, the school will hang with the boat increasing the chances of others hooking up.
    I’ve been on plenty of trips where deckhands hook and hand off, and plenty of trips where they fish and don’t hand off.
    Tough topic I guess.

pmurphy likes this.