URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    I am fortunate to have a wife that puts up with my fishing/boating addiction....to a point. There is an arbitrary threshold that, when crossed, causes her to shake the testicle jar in her purse. I know I’m either opening myself up to a TMI situation or a “grow a pair” situation. Either way the old saying happy wife, happy life applies here.

How do y’all cleverly disguise fishing related purchases for the cashless households? I’m working on side gigs that pay cash but the consistency isn’t there yet.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I am single now but with my ex we had an understanding, I don't question her purse expenditures and she doesn't question my fishing/boat expenditures.

I guess one way around it, though she would catch on, is launder it through pre-paid gift cards.

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    A separate checking account is something I will do with some of the upcoming side gigs I’m working on. I do some welding projects but it’s not consistent.

Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
    Jul 22, 2008
    SD County
    Name
    Randall
    Boat
    27x10
    Ever hear the old cliche “It is alway easier to seek forgiveness than it is to get permission”? Seems to apply hear fellas;)

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    Ever hear the old cliche “It is alway easier to seek forgiveness than it is to get permission”? Seems to apply hear fellas;)

Haha done that too many times. Got a jet boat at auction using tax return money. Did end up selling the boat for a profit but then used that money to help pay for my current boat.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

stella marina

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    pre paid gift cards with cash!
    she only knows about a couple guns and reels...until we moved...she was confused how the safe was full, and my reel storage box was so heavy....lol

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    My wife likes sushi so much that she insists that I go fishing.

I did buy her an electric sake pot warmer. That helps a lot too.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    I painted this in Cabo during our destination wedding week... You would be surprised how fast it fills up... Save your money and the budget takes care of itself. The wife might even contribute.
    When you say cashless is there a sinister reason? Like can't be trusted with cash?

20201001_221632.jpg

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    I painted this in Cabo during our destination wedding week... You would be surprised how fast it fills up... Save your money and the budget takes care of itself. The wife might even contribute.
    When you say cashless is there a sinister reason? Like can't be trusted with cash?

View attachment 1207063

Mostly when I have cash it disappears so quickly on those new lures, more braided line, trailer tires, bearings, impellers, fuel, bait and all sorts of other things. I do get to go out quite a bit and I should be grateful that we don’t have any debt at all so it’s not all bad. The wife does love rockfish, halibut and salmon so we do go 4-5 times each summer. It’s hard to be a fishing addict.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    The classic is to say "I won it in a raffle" or giveaway on the boat.

Since you have side gigs, you might also say that you took it as payment for a side gig (which in a way is true, right?).

Perhaps you took it as payment for a debt: "My friend owed me $100, but he offered me this $200 reel instead, so I made a good deal."

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    Married 26 years...no kids. I do what I want with MY money. She has no say in the matter..LOL Snatch your balls out of her purse and buy what you want.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If you want to have a great relationship with your wife, which ought to be more important than all the boats and fishing tackle in the world, you have to be honest and fair. Of course it begins with marrying the right woman (ie, not a selfish, self-centered shrew, so if you got stuck with one of those my advice may not apply), and you need to be "fair" in your spending practices and in your expectations of hers. In about 35 years of marriage, I haven't ever hid a single penny of my purchases and I don't think my wife has ever questioned anything. But the real benefit is the mutual trust that develops as a result. I strongly encourage you guys that are hiding stuff from your wife to rethink the kind of relationship you have.

Upvote 0

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    If you want to have a great relationship with your wife, which ought to be more important than all the boats and fishing tackle in the world, you have to be honest and fair. Of course it begins with marrying the right woman (ie, not a selfish, self-centered shrew, so if you got stuck with one of those my advice may not apply), and you need to be "fair" in your spending practices and in your expectations of hers. In about 35 years of marriage, I haven't ever hid a single penny of my purchases and I don't think my wife has ever questioned anything. But the real benefit is the mutual trust that develops as a result. I strongly encourage you guys that are hiding stuff from your wife to rethink the kind of relationship you have.

Solid advice right there.

Upvote 0