Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    This post is a rant, but also a warning.

A couple of months ago I ordered 2 CRB wire chucks sold by mudhole. I normally go with the regular chuck, but I liked that I could basically put on a 1in to 1 1/4in blank without any worry. I did not really get a chance to use them since I was only making 2-3 rods at a time, and these were on my 5th and 6th dryer setup. I finally got around to epoxying 6 rods the other day, and everything was going fine. I put them on the dryers, went inside for a drink. Came back to check 15 minutes later and both wire chucks were open, and my rods had fallen down. Epoxy was everywhere, including grips, and an EVA butt cap for a split grip I made. I quickly tried cleaning stuff, but it was already late and did not really get a chance to see the damage until the morning. I thought it was a fluke, and maybe something got stuck and caused the chuck to open. I tried it again the next day only finishing 2 rods, but placed them on the dryer again in the same CRB wire chucks to see if it was a freak accident. This time, I sat there wrapping another rod when suddenly, Smack! About 10 mintues later, The chuck opened up and dropped another freshly wrapped rod to my workbench. I quickly picked it up, cleaned it up and put it on another dryer with a regular chuck. Same thing for the other rod that was on the second wire chuck.

I contacted mudhole and they basically said, "we have no idea why it did that." I explained the situations and they told me that they have not had any experience with the chuck opening up, but have had experience with the blank slipping out of the chuck. Another thing they said was that although the chuck is designed to open wide, it is not made to hold saltwater rods or blanks. They told me that it works great for bass and light inshore rods, but the heavy stuff causes problems. I was drying a phenix bass rod and a 90J. I dont think the bass rod should have caused a problem and the 90J is not that heavy compared to a rail rod with a salty dawg grip I had on a regular chuck I have. He also told me that it may bave been a fluke and sent me another wire chuck to try out. I am going to gice it one more try on a personal rod, and not on a customer rod because I dont want to risk it falling off again in the middle of the night and not being able to do anything about it.

I am just writing this to warn people about the possibility that the CRB wire chuck may open up and cause your rod to fall off the dryer and fuck up your finish work.

Dont have any pictures since it was late and I was just trying to get them to not get messed up.

Reactions: Al241982
    Upvote 0

Orca

シャチ, 鯱
    Aug 16, 2003
    Mira Mesa Ca
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
    why don't you chuck up a rod before you put finish on it to see what happens?

Reactions: cmepen and Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Im not to fond of the CRB stuff from Mudhole.Cheap crap for the most part.

K. D.

Apr 20, 2011
    Bremerton, WA
    Name
    Kerry Hansen
    Boat
    RIVER SLED
    Dang, I have one and used it a few times, but mine didn't open up? I guess if this was a problem with all of them i need to keep an eye on mine. Hope it was just a problem with a few of them?

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    I always babysit rods after setting them in the dryer. A half hour of keeping watch while housekeeping beats a whole day of fixing fuck ups.

Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    That sucks!!!! Tape??? May help. I like the Plug and play rubber slide in chucks. You spend a little more up front but less clean un in the end.

Reactions: Hector Garcia
    Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

• Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    That sucks!!!! Tape??? May help. I like the Plug and play rubber slide in chucks. You spend a little more up front but less clean un in the end.

When I needed it that day I taped the shit out of it. I have the rubber chucks now. Theu work better, but it doesnt fit the Uluas abd other big rods.

Upvote 0

benrd81

May 21, 2009
    Lompoc, ca
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    Tried those too and unless you support the rod really well they are worthless. Make a pretty good paperweight

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

• Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    I assume you have it put together correctly?

get the Fuji wire chucks.. quality product

It comes assembled already, but i did make sure it was assembled correctly.

I just received the replacement chuck that they sent me, have not tried it yet, but it feels tighter than that.

Upvote 0