DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Hooped the Bay again last night and saw a lot of bugs in the hoops which made the evening fun and kept the hopes up high; a dozen shorts on the first set then a nice no doubter on the second hoop of the second set. Then back to tossing shorts at a ratio of 10 to 1 until our last set when we caught 3 legals after the tide change to push our total to 10 legals and 52 shorts. Deeper Hoops caught more legals for a change, and there were 7 males and only 3 females in the bunch which is completely opposite of what we saw last year. Nothing big a couple maybe 1/2 inch over measurement.There weren't a lot of hoopers out, and it amazes us how little time others spend on their strings before they pick up and move; time and again we watch guys drop their shiny runway lights on PVC poles in strings where we have had luck in the past and they pull them on the second set and move to the other side of the channel or farther inside or outside the harbor. You have to spend some time in the zone and let them find you and mark your hotspots. It might take 2 or 3 trips but its not that hard; The twilight boats move around from night to night and that's a good start see where they're fishing, put it in your memory or GPS and hit it the next time you go but never crowd them when they're fishing. There are several places you can set your strings without bumping them out of their spots; bugs move and not every spot is good every night but do your self a favor; if you get a hoop in your string that constantly produces, chances are there is underwater structure or caves where the bugs hide close by that you don't know about so mark them on your GPS and use them as waypoints to set your future strings. Made a couple of location adjustments to our Ace Line Hauler which was a big improvement over our first trip but we still need a little fine tuning and more importantly getting used to the machine. Half way through the season now hope we get a repeat of last year when we did our best hooping.

Bucket of Bugs:

BUCKET O BUGS 1-7-21.jpg

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Nice work , Long Beach is still a desert, member PescadoVato n I went two legals for five shorts last night but we both had work so only did a couple of quick sets.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice catch.

The Bull Dog hands free will definitely help you out with your line hauler. It's a little less complicated to put the rope on, and puts constant pressure so the rope won't slip out of the bottom pully.

And no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way! :D

• Haha
    Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    None of the females were plastered and yes the fog came in around 11PM pretty thick just after we picked up our last hoop. A challenging ride back to the ramp to say the least.

Reactions: sdjfish
    Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Nice catch.

The Bull Dog hands free will definitely help you out with your line hauler. It's a little less complicated to put the rope on, and puts constant pressure so the rope won't slip out of the bottom pully.

And no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way! :D

What size rope are you pulling, mine slips some with the smaller sizes.

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    What size rope are you pulling, mine slips some with the smaller sizes.

I use 3/8 solid braid with the O ring and leave in the spacers.

Softer rope pulls better than the yellow nylon crap that comes with your hoop. I got rid of that shit after my very first trip. Dangerous if you wrap the prop.

Heck, even the braided foam core that costs $10 for 100 feet at Home Depot pulls better, but it's not as strong as nylon. I used that for years before switching over to solid braid and never lost a hoop.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sdjfish
    Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Hooped the Bay again last night and saw a lot of bugs in the hoops which made the evening fun and kept the hopes up high; a dozen shorts on the first set then a nice no doubter on the second hoop of the second set. Then back to tossing shorts at a ratio of 10 to 1 until our last set when we caught 3 legals after the tide change to push our total to 10 legals and 52 shorts. Deeper Hoops caught more legals for a change, and there were 7 males and only 3 females in the bunch which is completely opposite of what we saw last year. Nothing big a couple maybe 1/2 inch over measurement.There weren't a lot of hoopers out, and it amazes us how little time others spend on their strings before they pick up and move; time and again we watch guys drop their shiny runway lights on PVC poles in strings where we have had luck in the past and they pull them on the second set and move to the other side of the channel or farther inside or outside the harbor. You have to spend some time in the zone and let them find you and mark your hotspots. It might take 2 or 3 trips but its not that hard; The twilight boats move around from night to night and that's a good start see where they're fishing, put it in your memory or GPS and hit it the next time you go but never crowd them when they're fishing. There are several places you can set your strings without bumping them out of their spots; bugs move and not every spot is good every night but do your self a favor; if you get a hoop in your string that constantly produces, chances are there is underwater structure or caves where the bugs hide close by that you don't know about so mark them on your GPS and use them as waypoints to set your future strings. Made a couple of location adjustments to our Ace Line Hauler which was a big improvement over our first trip but we still need a little fine tuning and more importantly getting used to the machine. Half way through the season now hope we get a repeat of last year when we did our best hooping.

Bucket of Bugs:

View attachment 1241461
    im heading out tomorrow , Tuesday ill give a report ,hopefully its better than my last trip , we`ve got some good tides so we`ll see

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0